Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Need For A Free Ride Must Be In The Air...
cillybean83 11:29 AM 02-08-2011
I just had someone call about daycare, and she asked if I would ok with being paid in food stamps.

Um, that's a new one!

I was like "I don't understand the question" LOL

So mom proceeds to give me her life history, she has 6 kids, she would need daycare for the youngest 2, she gets EIGHT HUNDRED dollars in food stamps per month but only needs about $400 because she also gets WIC and her oldest 4 get FREE breakfast AND lunch at school, and breakfast and lunch and snacks would be included with daycare, so really she has to feed them on the weekends, and dinner.

Anyhoo, she said she would pay me $400 in foodstamps to cover one kid for a month (I charge $100 a week) and $400 cash to cover the other kid. (I didn't get into how charging $100 for a week is NOT the same as charging $400 for a MONTH)

I tell her no, that I can not accept food stamps as payment, she could get in trouble, i could get in trouble, I use my payments for things OTHER than food, etc so I then cooly tell her. "If you don't need $800, I'm sure you could tell the food stamp office that $400 is plenty, and the other $400 could help another family who is struggling in this economy"

She gets p-i-s-s-e-d that I said that... she YELLS at me

"why would i just gives away 400 dollars for free, i guess i'll sells them someplace else" and hangs up on me

um...you aren't giving away 400 for free, you're GETTING 800 for free

omg...some people
Cat Herder 11:31 AM 02-08-2011
Welcome to my world......
cillybean83 11:33 AM 02-08-2011
i can't even think about this kind of stuff or else i will have a fit, i mean seriously...people and their entitlement issues really get my goat!

what i really wanted to tell this shining example of a graceful lady

"maybe you shouldn't have had 6 kids if you can't afford to feed them or provide quality child care for them"

bring on the flames! lol
momofboys 11:35 AM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
I just had someone call about daycare, and she asked if I would ok with being paid in food stamps.

Um, that's a new one!

I was like "I don't understand the question" LOL

So mom proceeds to give me her life history, she has 6 kids, she would need daycare for the youngest 2, she gets EIGHT HUNDRED dollars in food stamps per month but only needs about $400 because she also gets WIC and her oldest 4 get FREE breakfast AND lunch at school, and breakfast and lunch and snacks would be included with daycare, so really she has to feed them on the weekends, and dinner.

Anyhoo, she said she would pay me $400 in foodstamps to cover one kid for a month (I charge $100 a week) and $400 cash to cover the other kid. (I didn't get into how charging $100 for a week is NOT the same as charging $400 for a MONTH)

I tell her no, that I can not accept food stamps as payment, she could get in trouble, i could get in trouble, I use my payments for things OTHER than food, etc so I then cooly tell her. "If you don't need $800, I'm sure you could tell the food stamp office that $400 is plenty, and the other $400 could help another family who is struggling in this economy"

She gets p-i-s-s-e-d that I said that... she YELLS at me

"why would i just gives away 400 dollars for free, i guess i'll sells them someplace else" and hangs up on me

um...you aren't giving away 400 for free, you're GETTING 800 for free

omg...some people
Wowza! :-)
momofboys 11:42 AM 02-08-2011
i can't even think about this kind of stuff or else i will have a fit, i mean seriously...people and their entitlement issues really get my goat!

what i really wanted to tell this shining example of a graceful lady

"maybe you shouldn't have had 6 kids if you can't afford to feed them or provide quality child care for them"

bring on the flames! lol
I am actually the youngest of 6 kids but even though we more than likely qualified for food stamps or whatever was available when I was younger we never did. We had a large garden, etc. . . shopped economically. And I'm sure we qualified for reduced or free lunches but my parents would never consider taking from someone else who was maybe more disadvantged then we were. I guess it just blows me away b/c that is a LOT of money for food stamps. I know there are 6 kids but geez even my family of 5 can usually get by spending $120-130 or so a week & have plenty of food. @ $200/week is a lot of money! How in the heck did she think you would be able to use them or that you would even want them?
DCMom 11:44 AM 02-08-2011
Wow. That's the person (and people like her) who gives the people who really, truly need help a bad name. And I say that as someone whose family had help from public assistance when she was a child...back in the days when you tried to hide the fact instead of flaunt it.
cillybean83 11:45 AM 02-08-2011
she said she would give me her food stamp card one day, i could stock up, and then give it back to her!!!

just...wow lol
momma2girls 12:06 PM 02-08-2011
WOW!!! Some people!!
marniewon 12:55 PM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by DCMom:
Wow. That's the person (and people like her) who gives the people who really, truly need help a bad name. And I say that as someone whose family had help from public assistance when she was a child...back in the days when you tried to hide the fact instead of flaunt it.
I'm right there with you - back when you had those little food stamp "booklets" I had to get some help for a little while too, and I was soooo embarrassed every time I went grocery shopping!!
cillybean83 01:06 PM 02-08-2011
i think that food assistance, cash assistance, medical assistance WHATEVER assistance is a *great* thing, for those who use the system, not ABUSE the system. I work, my husband works, we pay our taxes, we do our part, if we got into a position where we needed the help, i would not be embarassed to take it because I paid into it for HOW long before I needed to use it?! It's the people who start out on the system, never try to get off the system, and base their work ethic around "how little can i get buy with doing" or "i can't make more than *** per month or else i lose my welfare" that's grimy to me
AAA713 01:44 PM 02-08-2011
Wow!! What nerve some people have! Sad.
Kaddidle Care 02:16 PM 02-08-2011
I just had someone call about daycare, and she

"If you don't need $800, I'm sure you could tell the food stamp office that $400 is plenty, and the other $400 could help another family who is struggling in this economy"
Good for you! Makes you want to report her doesn't it?
mac60 04:11 AM 02-09-2011
I WOULD report her. She is totally abusing the system and it needs to stop. Being a family whose main provider lost his job after 39 years because he was "in his 50's", I would of given anything to have $400 to spend on groceries in a month over the past 1 1/2 years, as that was the first thing to "stop spending money on", when he lost his job. The whole system is warped. And seriously, this woman needs to get a pregnancy block.....she doesn't deserve kids.
Little People 06:44 AM 02-09-2011
Years ago they use to have what you called "people in the fields" these people would make unannounced visits at people's homes. They would check the fridge and talk to people receiving aid.

You would think with so programs on a computer that they could come up with a program that workers could check to see what was bought with peoples food stamps. Now i am not saying that someone on food stamps can not buy a bottle or 2 of soda. But when they buy cases of soda all NAME brands of foods and T-Bone steaks, THEY DO NOT NEED FOOD STAMPS!!

Our government could save billions of dollars on people who fraud on food stamps. I better stop ranting
nannyde 07:05 AM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by Giggles:
Years ago they use to have what you called "people in the fields" these people would make unannounced visits at people's homes. They would check the fridge and talk to people receiving aid.

You would think with so programs on a computer that they could come up with a program that workers could check to see what was bought with peoples food stamps. Now i am not saying that someone on food stamps can not buy a bottle or 2 of soda. But when they buy cases of soda all NAME brands of foods and T-Bone steaks, THEY DO NOT NEED FOOD STAMPS!!

Our government could save billions of dollars on people who fraud on food stamps. I better stop ranting
My recommendation is to only offer single ingredient foods with food stamps.
jen 07:25 AM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
My recommendation is to only offer single ingredient foods with food stamps.
That is fabulous!!!!
DBug 08:37 AM 02-09-2011
There's been alot of talk around here about the government giving a debit card instead of a cheque for things like welfare and other assistance. That way they can either track where money is being spent, or even restrict where and how it's spent.

Not a bad idea in my opinion, although some people worry that it's too much government interference. But hey, if it's the government's (read: our) money, we should all have a say in how it's spent, right?
ninosqueridos 08:45 AM 02-09-2011
That is really sad. Those poor kids.
nannyde 08:52 AM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by DBug:
There's been alot of talk around here about the government giving a debit card instead of a cheque for things like welfare and other assistance. That way they can either track where money is being spent, or even restrict where and how it's spent.

Not a bad idea in my opinion, although some people worry that it's too much government interference. But hey, if it's the government's (read: our) money, we should all have a say in how it's spent, right?
It's free money. There shouldn't be ANY problem with across the board saying specifically what can and can't be bought with it. Single ingredient foods would change the face of obesity in that economic group. The "easy" single ingredient foods would skyrocket (grapes, carrots, bananas, raspberries, blueberries, etc.).

There is little value in processed foods. We could change this to single ingredient only and people would start to COOK whole foods because that is the only thing that is free. Most would choose to cook and serve whole foods for free than to go hungry.

It will never happen though because the processed food industry is SO powerful. It would take most "corn based" products out of the food stamp purchases and the big food industry won't go for that.
Cat Herder 09:17 AM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by DBug:

"EBT" cards are already in the southern states.

WIC still gives the formula, cheese, rice, dried beans, juice and a few other items on vouchers. They have to hand over the voucher even if they only buy one thing on that list so they just get it all.

I have had more than a few to offer those in lieu of payment.

The grocery stores have started to ask for ID since they have to be signed by the recipient and the media/ACLU is trying to say that is unconstitutional.... Go figure....
satcook 10:29 AM 02-09-2011
Kasnas has asked for ID for years. Since it isn't unconstitutional here, I doubt it is unconstitutional in the south either. ;-)

Lori

Originally Posted by Catherder:
"The grocery stores have started to ask for ID since they have to be signed by the recipient and the media/ACLU is trying to say that is unconstitutional.... Go figure....

E Daycare 10:31 AM 02-09-2011
Ive offered in my ad One week free of daycare (to get something going) and I havent had any luck with that even. I figured because people like free stuff this would get the ball rolling (then again, what type of clientele would I really get?) but all I got was the sound of crickets or someone looking for 3 spots. I only have one, said I only one spot on my ad and mentioned the legalities of things so this way they would know I ONLY WANT ONE KID.

One of my dcp ( the one wanting to use the neb as a write off) asks me once a week if I plan to get licensed even though she knows I dont (I just want to be a class B home in Ohio, 3 kids under 2 including my own kid). I dont plan on ever getting anymore.Ever. I write receipts and claim everything and offer the W-10 and I dont want to do more then this lol. Come to realize if I become licensed she can use state aid....
cillybean83 10:34 AM 02-09-2011
reminds me of the Gerald Ford quote "A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything you have"

or something like that
Kaddidle Care 08:08 PM 02-09-2011
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Gerald Ford - good guy albeit clumsy.
momofsix 05:16 AM 02-10-2011
I have had a "free ride" family that i've done part time for 4 years now, willingly because I know the family and know they had NO money. Grandparents would do things for me to show appreciation, and mom has always been very appreciative (as she should be
Well, just found out mom got a promotion and is going to start paying me
That was money I wasn't counting on, but can REALLY use right now! God's timing is great!
SandeeAR 05:20 AM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I have had a "free ride" family that i've done part time for 4 years now, willingly because I know the family and know they had NO money. Grandparents would do things for me to show appreciation, and mom has always been very appreciative (as she should be
Well, just found out mom got a promotion and is going to start paying me
That was money I wasn't counting on, but can REALLY use right now! God's timing is great!
We never know when we are serving angels in disguise (sp?).
Cat Herder 06:02 AM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
I think there is a difference.... Angels in disquise don't demand free and try to find ways to cheat the system for more free...without ever thinking to contribute.

I love the sentiment, though, some of my favorte people are the old homeless guys from a local park here. I can sit and talk with them for hours.

Most there are old vets and choose the lifestyle. My "most favorite gentleman" told me "Be careful of what you own, darlin. You may come to find out it actually owns you. Promise me you will get out and see the world, the real world starts where the concrete ends."

He says he had to "move" into the city to be closer to the VA hospital, now that he is getting older.... He gave me a copy of "The Prophet" by Gibran. Who knows how long it took him to save for that. He was one of my mentors and that lesson will last me a lifetime.
missnikki 06:26 AM 02-10-2011
I think there is a difference.... Angels in disquise don't demand free and try to find ways to cheat the system for more free...without ever thinking to contribute.

I love the sentiment, though, some of my favorte people are the old homeless guys from a local park here. I can sit and talk with them for hours.

Most there are old vets and choose the lifestyle. My "most favorite gentleman" told me "Be careful of what you own, darlin. You may come to find out it actually owns you. Promise me you will get out and see the world, the real world starts where the concrete ends."

He says he had to "move" into the city to be closer to the VA hospital, now that he is getting older.... He gave me a copy of "The Prophet" by Gibran. Who knows how long it took him to save for that. He was one of my mentors and that lesson will last me a lifetime.
I want to meet this guy.
SandeeAR 06:38 AM 02-10-2011

Momofsix never said they demanded free care, she said she was doing it willingly. Therefore, I stand by my statement.......We never know when we are serving angels in disguise (sp?).
Cat Herder 07:05 AM 02-10-2011
Momofsix never said they demanded free care, she said she was doing it willingly. Therefore, I stand by my statement.......We never know when we are serving angels in disguise (sp?).
I know.... I wasn't refering to momofsix's post, sorry... Her family did think to contribute...

I just meant the sentiment you posted and refered it back to OP's issue....obviously very poorly

Been a long night, here...
juliebug 07:09 AM 02-10-2011
"EBT" cards are already in the southern states.

WIC still gives the formula, cheese, rice, dried beans, juice and a few other items on vouchers. They have to hand over the voucher even if they only buy one thing on that list so they just get it all.

I have had more than a few to offer those in lieu of payment.

The grocery stores have started to ask for ID since they have to be signed by the recipient and the media/ACLU is trying to say that is unconstitutional.... Go figure....
I so agree with you plus the fact that those corn based food are cheaper doesn't help any!~
SandeeAR 07:16 AM 02-10-2011
I know.... I wasn't refering to momofsix's post, sorry... Her family did think to contribute...

I just meant the sentiment you posted and refered it back to OP's issue....obviously very poorly

Been a long night, here...
NP, My comment was meant for momofsix comment, not the others.
dEHmom 08:11 AM 02-10-2011
I think she should be reported that she was offering to do so. And that she stated she only uses 400 of the 800 and will sell them elsewhere.

If you even have the information on her to report her.

It disgusts me, because so many people have entitlement issues.

And it really bothers me when some of these people (not all just a few bad apples) would rather spend the least amount on food, buy the crappiest junk out there, so their kids eat KD and weiners and just garbage! everyday, so mom or dad have more spending money.

We struggle in my house, do our best to make sure our children receive the best nutrition they can. Unfortunately that is not always possible. I know last year there was something on the news about how most people/families eat too much junk foods because they compared the price of fruits/vegs to chips/snacks. I have noticed within the last 6 months things like Kraft dinner and other raunchy foods have increased in price, while the fruits/vegs/ meats have stayed pretty much the same, and some have even reduced in price.

I know I can only buy a case of kd when it goes on sale! Otherwise I cannot afford it!
cillybean83 08:21 AM 02-10-2011
what is KD?

We try to eat healthy without going nuts over it...my kids eat mac n cheese and chicken nuggets sometimes, I don't think it will kill them to do so, as long as it isn't daily.

I've found a way to keep b*tching at a minimum when it comes to dinner time. We eat out on Monday nights, so that leaves 6 dinners to be made at home. I pick 2, DH picks 2, and DS picks 2, and wee-man the 14 month old will eat anything lol

So, if my son picks mac n cheese, green beans, and chicken nuggets one night (and he will!) I don't fret over it because my 2 choices are healthy, and DH makes healthy-ish choices, and it's all in moderation
Tags:food stamps, free childcare, subsidy
Reply Up