Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Weather ... HOT Weather
DanceMom 01:43 PM 08-11-2010
At what temp do you not take your kids outside ? Its 92 right now with probably a 60-70% humidity - we went outside for probably 15 minutes and I called them all in. Red cheeks immediately - sweating immediately. It sucks we cannot go outside because its TOO hot and dangerous. Pretty soon we will be stuck in this house all winter...

What temps in the summer do you have a no going outside policy ?
kidkair 01:50 PM 08-11-2010
Here's my policy: "Weather permitting means 20° to 90°Fahrenheit. Wind speed is watched during the cold months and we will remain inside if wind speed exceeds 15 mph and temperature is below 40°F. Humidity is watched during the hot months and we will remain inside if the humidity exceeds 70% and temperature is over 85°F."
DCMomOf3 01:58 PM 08-11-2010
My state codesays outside unless inclement weather and 'inclement weather' means : heavy rain, Temps above 90 F, wind chill 20 For less (infants/todds) or 0 F or less
Michael 02:17 PM 08-11-2010
We have a chart that may help you: https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html

Abigail 02:22 PM 08-11-2010
We have to follow the chart that Michael posted, it is through our CCR&R
SunflowerMama 06:52 PM 08-11-2010
We're in TX and we've been over 100 for the past couple of weeks. I just make sure the sprinkler is on, the water table is full and popsicles are ready.

We would never get outside otherwise. I just had my licensing inspection and she said as long as I am conscious about fluid intake, make sure to sunscreen them and we aren't out for long it's ok.
Former Teacher 07:17 PM 08-11-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
We're in TX and we've been over 100 for the past couple of weeks. I just make sure the sprinkler is on, the water table is full and popsicles are ready.

We would never get outside otherwise. I just had my licensing inspection and she said as long as I am conscious about fluid intake, make sure to sunscreen them and we aren't out for long it's ok.
Wow..big difference than the reps we use to have. This one rep we had for years didn't care what the weather was (barring lighting of course!)...the children MUST go out.

You know from living in TX that it reaches 90 degrees at 9:00 in the morning! This rep didn't care as long as they had their outside time. Oh the arguments her and I would get into over minimum standards Once she came like 3 days in a row just to be sure I was taking the children outside. I had to lie and tell her yes. This was occurring during a massive heatwave BTW.

GRRR NEVER again will I EVER work in a licensed childcare center!
safechner 07:42 PM 08-11-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Wow..big difference than the reps we use to have. This one rep we had for years didn't care what the weather was (barring lighting of course!)...the children MUST go out.

You know from living in TX that it reaches 90 degrees at 9:00 in the morning! This rep didn't care as long as they had their outside time. Oh the arguments her and I would get into over minimum standards Once she came like 3 days in a row just to be sure I was taking the children outside. I had to lie and tell her yes. This was occurring during a massive heatwave BTW.

GRRR NEVER again will I EVER work in a licensed childcare center!
Wow, it sounds like they are stricter! I still take the kids to the park every morning (8:30am to 9:30am) but we can't stay outside at least 20 mins when I feel too hot. It is still too hot since it is over 100 temp for a few weeks or more in Texas.
emosks 05:25 AM 08-12-2010
My consultant in MI said that they must get 10-15 minutes of outside play every day regardless of weather...unless it's below 15*. Right now it's been in the 90s with very high humidity around 80-95% so it's just downright miserable outside. Plus I have a creek and pond behind me and standing water behind our fenced area causing the mosquitoes to be HORRIBLE.

With that said...we haven't been taking the kids outside. We have kids that are allergic to bug bites and swell up like crazy. I walked to the neighbors house last night and got 5 bites on the way there.

We do go outside in the winter though!!
SilverSabre25 09:08 PM 08-13-2010
This is my first summer doing home daycare and the first summer I've even had a child old enough to care whether she gets outside (she'll be three in October), and I've been paying attention to my local forecast on weather.com--if it says there's a heat advisory for my area, I keep the time outside short (15-20 mins). It helps that our backyard is almost completely shaded--this lets us be outside for a lot longer if we're doing water stuff.
Former Teacher 06:04 AM 08-14-2010
Originally Posted by safechner:
Wow, it sounds like they are stricter! I still take the kids to the park every morning (8:30am to 9:30am) but we can't stay outside at least 20 mins when I feel too hot. It is still too hot since it is over 100 temp for a few weeks or more in Texas.
TX licensing is a bunch of hypocrites. On one inspection they will say do this and do that. Come the next one its like...oh no you need to have it the way you did. It also depends on the representative as well. One will say no thats not ok and another will sure why not. Then its changed AGAIN only to go back to the original whatever. It drove me batty! And get don't me started on some of the rules!

Anyway to me, personally, I feel like 10-20 mins outside time to a child is like a tease to them. Might not be for the caregiver though! Time flies when you are having fun!
Chickenhauler 05:16 PM 08-14-2010
It really depends upon if there is a breeze, and if there is shade or not.

Even when it's humid and hot, if you have a decent breeze and some shade, being outside isn't so bad.

And water, lots and lots of water.

I said this before in another thread: What did human beings do before AC was invented?

Shade, liquids, moderation.
Tags:temperature, weather
Reply Up