Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A Month Vacation
Country Kids 07:25 AM 06-12-2012
I have a family that just asked me if I would still charge them full rate if they were not here for a month due to taking a month vacation. This would start in two weeks and this is the first I have heard of it!

My rates are hourly and the bill is between $475 and up depending on the amount of days in the month. I told them yes, they would be billed their normal hourly rate for the month as per my contract. I mean to give me a two week notice that they will be gone for a month isn't really good practice for your and your provider.

When I told them that yes, they would be billed, it suddenly changed to oh, well we'll see as we don't have all the plans finalized, etc. Funny how things changed that quick in the same conversation.

So, even though its in my contract to be billed would you give them a break and charge charge them a flat fee to hold their spot or just go ahead and charge them for the month? I wouldn't even know what to charge as a flat rate to hold their spot!

Any suggestions out there ladies?
bgmeyers 07:38 AM 06-12-2012
Follow your contract!
DBug 07:38 AM 06-12-2012
I have one family taking two months off this summer, and one family taking one month off. If I was rolling in money, I'd probably offer at least the first family some kind of discount, but I'm not. I've told them both that they still need to pay full rate, and they're both okay with that.

I tend to think of it more in terms of the income that I'd be losing out on, rather than the fact that it'll be a little easier for me during the months they're away. I'm capped at 5 kids, so that doesn't leave much wiggle room income-wise.
texascare 07:41 AM 06-12-2012
Why would you decrease your pay just because they are not there. Why should you loose money? Let them know you are following your contract. I charge by the week. So it is a flat rate period.
Blackcat31 07:42 AM 06-12-2012
My families earn vacation days (no charge dyas) based solely on how many days they attend. The max number of unpaid days that each family could potentially earn however is 5.

My full-time families who attend 5 days per week accumulate 1 day per every 4 weeks and my full-time families who attend 4 days per week accumulate 1 day every 6 weeks.

Families who do not attend at least 4 days p/week are considered part-time and pay the same no matter what as part-time families receive no vacation days or breaks or discounts in billing.....they pay the same each week all year.

So if I had a full time family wanting to take a month long vacation, they could take 5 days off without having to pay and anything above and beyond those 5 days, would be billed at regular rate to secure their space.

What does your contract say about vacations and extended absences?
Country Kids 07:47 AM 06-12-2012
HHHHMMMM how in the world did I post two threads? Can you put them together for me under what would you charge for a months vacation? Thanks!!!
boysx5 07:49 AM 06-12-2012
They don't get a discount on their cable or mortgage when they are gone so daycare is the same way
Country Kids 07:50 AM 06-12-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My families earn vacation days (no charge dyas) based solely on how many days they attend. The max number of unpaid days that each family could potentially earn however is 5.

My full-time families who attend 5 days per week accumulate 1 day per every 4 weeks and my full-time families who attend 4 days per week accumulate 1 day every 6 weeks.

Families who do not attend at least 4 days p/week are considered part-time and pay the same no matter what as part-time families receive no vacation days or breaks or discounts in billing.....they pay the same each week all year.

So if I had a full time family wanting to take a month long vacation, they could take 5 days off without having to pay and anything above and beyond those 5 days, would be billed at regular rate to secure their space.

What does your contract say about vacations and extended absences?
That they still have to pay me. The reason I started this is at one time I had such an influx of college students and on their breaks I was making no money what so ever. Another situation was we are going on vacation when grandma was really watching them. Things like that.

I'm also starting to think about their household bills and how they are still due no matter if they are used or not. Another would be if their boss went on vacation, the employee is still being paid.
Blackcat31 07:54 AM 06-12-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
HHHHMMMM how in the world did I post two threads? Can you put them together for me under what would you charge for a months vacation? Thanks!!!
Done.
bmoreluna 07:59 AM 06-12-2012
I have a family on a month long vacation right now. They wrote me 4 checks and post-dates 3 of them. I agree, it's a household bill like any other. If they want to keep a spot with you, then they have to pay- why should you be financially burdened because of their vacation plans. Use the phrase "industry standard" with them- that way it's not just you
Kiki 08:11 AM 06-12-2012
I just went through this with one family actually. They will be gone for the last two weeks of this month, as well as they first 2 of July. They too, asked for a discount, I just explained to them that not only are they paying for me to to care for their children, they are also paying to hold their spot.

I would not offer any form of discount to them at all, especially if your contract states that you don't. And yea more than likely, they aren't really going on vacation they are probably having Grandma or Grandpa watch them, that's why the sudden 'Oh..it's not set just yet!'.
daycare 08:25 AM 06-12-2012
Again, its a contract thing..What does yours say?

I require a 30 days notice if you want to use your vacation time. I give 5 days off for vacation purposes. For FT only. I don't offer this for PT.

Also, they must use all 5 days consecutively. The child cannot attend care during that week off.

I give them their 5 days after they have been with me for 6 months. So far, I think that only one family has ever taken it off.

Because I am a softy, I would probably give this family a small discount if they really were going to be gone a full month. I look at it this way.

I want nothing more than the kids to spend quality time with their parents. AND I know that it is hard to have to pay for childcare and save the money to go on vacation. So to help out a little, I would give them a small break. But it would be an amount that I felt i could live without......But that is just me.....
Country Kids 08:31 AM 06-12-2012
Found out it is a relative issue. Going to visit a relative for a month so not quite "a vacation" thing now. The kids are going not the parents for the month.
littlemissmuffet 09:44 AM 06-12-2012
They would be charged their usual monthly rate here. My contract specifically states that I do not provide discounted or unpaid leaves of absence, no matter the circumstance.
Reply Up