Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Lost $3,000 In Income
Unregistered 06:34 AM 03-25-2011
I have 3 daycare families total. So I just lost a client yesterday due to an ongoing medical issue. They are keeping their only child at home at the request of their doctor. = (

And today another one of my families dropped the bomb that they might be pulling their 4 kids out of daycare because dad hates his job and would rather stay home with the kids. SWEET! = (

I just lost 3,000 dollars in payments per month and many providers around me are having trouble getting new clients because the economy still sucks. Tonight is my child's 2nd birthday party and I am having a hard time keeping it together. Plus I am pregnant and emotional as it is. Should be a great weekend.
JenNJ 06:48 AM 03-25-2011
Don't get sad, get busy! Start advertising NOW. Tell all current clients they get a bonus if they refer a client and they stay with you for x amount of time. Tell friends, family, neighbors, acquaintances, etc. Start now!!
MN Day Mom 06:52 AM 03-25-2011
I am so sorry... this is a worry that none of us want to come to reality.

I often worry about this very same thing. A few of my day parents jobs aren't all that secure in this economy and it could drastically change my income at any time.

I hope you get them replaced quickly!!!
grandmom 06:59 AM 03-25-2011
Hang in there!

I had half my clients leave (totally unrelated reasons) in January. I know exactly how you feel.

ADVERTISE as suggested.

You can do this.
morgan24 07:09 AM 03-25-2011
That's daycare for you feast or famine! Same thing is going on here with the economy. Call your resource and referrals and update your status. Then I put the word out to everyone I know. I call the secretary at the school, let the ladies at the library know. Try to enjoy your weekend everything will work out.
Gurdy 07:28 AM 03-25-2011
Don't stress too much yet. I had a dc dad that gave me two weeks notice once a month because he wanted to be a stay at home dad. He never quit his job. I finally termed him after the fourth time he gave me notice because it was to stressful to deal with him giving me notice all the time.
I have a dc mom that has told me several times that she wants to quit her job and be at home with the kids- I have had her kids in care for six years and she has told me that she is thinking about quitting or going part time three times. Go ahead and start advertising but don't worry to much until he actually quits his job.
jen 07:46 AM 03-25-2011
Everyone has already given you great advice, I just want to add my support. Hugs!
daycare 07:51 AM 03-25-2011
Wow so sorry to hear this. Just know that it only temporary. Things will puck up again and move forward. I'm not the best at websites or making ads but if you need any help I would love to help you.

Best of luck, hang in there!!!
nannyde 08:32 AM 03-25-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have 3 daycare families total. So I just lost a client yesterday due to an ongoing medical issue. They are keeping their only child at home at the request of their doctor. = (

And today another one of my families dropped the bomb that they might be pulling their 4 kids out of daycare because dad hates his job and would rather stay home with the kids. SWEET! = (

I just lost 3,000 dollars in payments per month and many providers around me are having trouble getting new clients because the economy still sucks. Tonight is my child's 2nd birthday party and I am having a hard time keeping it together. Plus I am pregnant and emotional as it is. Should be a great weekend.
That is really scarry.

One thing I have learned along the way is to be careful about having one family hold too much of your income. I would only take a sib group that big if they were on the evening shift and didn't take any of my day shift slots that are the bread and butter of my business. I worry about sib groups of two on the day shift. With only eight slots it is extremely difficult to loose two at one time.

Whenever you have sib groups that size it is best to put away a really good portion of their income for the notice time when they leave. Also require a very large notice time. I would require a family that size to give at least three months notice. Have them agree to that and have it notarized. Also have them give a substantial deposit.
cherryhill 08:38 AM 03-25-2011
I will be in the same position at the end of April. I termed one family dcg last day is the 8th of April. The next day dcm from of my siblings gave notice. I only watch 4 kids the last child I watch parents are
Moving out of state in the next few weeks, so hopefully I can get at least two more kids in the next few months.
SilverSabre25 08:40 AM 03-25-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Also require a very large notice time.
That's an intriguing idea...having longer notices for bigger sib groups...you got the wheels in my brain turnin' nanny, lol (I'm contemplating 2 weeks per kid...)\

OP, I'm sorry to hear that you're having to deal with this. I can't imagine suddenly being faced with such a thing! I hope it all works out for you.
Unregistered 09:30 AM 03-25-2011
Thanks for all the ideas.

So, I placed a ton of ads and called our referral agency. Hopefully that helps. I also sent out some emails stating I am offering a $50 referral if someone refers someone and they sign up and start.

Any advice on interviewing when pregnant? Do some families not want to start at your daycare knowing they are going to have a maternity time in the near future? I don't want this to change my plans with my baby but can't go another 7 months without income just because these families left me in bad timing.

Also, I don't want to push the issue with this family that said they are likely going to drop and dad stay home but what Gurdy mentioned before makes me wonder how many times people say they "might quit and stay home" and never actually do it. How do I get that info out of them without encouraging them to actually quit?
Unregistered 09:50 AM 03-25-2011
I forgot to mention that both these families are on assistance so my only saving grace is that I get paid for 2 weeks regarless of when they quit on me (and no their kids don't have to come those days) so hopefully that will give me a little time to get another family in here before I lose my mind.

My biggest rant of the whole thing is that this family says they can't afford paying me for daycare (with their 4 kids) and they only have to pay me a copay totalling $54 every two weeks!! Dad said all his money is going to copays. He must make about .65 an hour. LOL!!! = )

Here we have a 2 year waiting list to get on assistance and if you quit your job to stay home you dont get to go back on assitance without waiting on the waiting list. I mentioned this to mom and she said she knew that. I promise you dad will not enjoy staying home with these kids. 2 of the 4 have special needs which dads method of dealing with is lots of TV and spankings. Should be a good time for everyone.
Gurdy 10:43 AM 03-25-2011
The dc mom that I have that tells me now and then that she wants to quit work, I just say "keep me posted on what you decide to do, I know you have to do what is best for your family" and then I remind her of my policy on giving notice.
If they do stay and dcd does not quit his job, I think that you should maybe redo their contract and perhaps institute a longer notice period as Nannyde suggested.

I had no problem filling spots when I was pregnant- just make sure you tell potential dc families your plans for your maternity leave.
jen 11:19 AM 03-25-2011
It is really tough when you lose a sibling group. I had a family with 3 kids who represented approximately 1/3 of my income. Said family was a royal pain in my behind...but I found myself accepting behaviors from them that I would never have dealt with from other families. I did finally terminate, but it was hard on the pocket book...well worth it, but hard on the pocket book!
Tags:family - leaving, loss of income
Reply Up