Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Business On The Side??
Lilbutterflie 05:40 PM 11-30-2010
Hi ladies,
Just wondering if any of you do anything on the side other than daycare? Something you make or do at home that helps pull in just a little extra cash. Just looking for some ideas!!
mac60 06:18 PM 11-30-2010
Yep, I clean the church and am currently taking an Activity Director course, hoping to work my way into another position and another career. The cost of doing daycare keeps going up, but not my wages.
marniewon 08:20 PM 11-30-2010
I sell Partylite
MG&Lsmom 03:28 AM 12-01-2010
I teach night school at a local private business school. I used to sew and knit and sell on Etsy too, but I don't have enough time for that now and the new rules for kids items by the CPSC have demolished the kids craft business anyhow.
AfterSchoolMom 03:59 AM 12-01-2010
I pet sit on weekends, holidays, and in the summer. It actually pays better than child care!
laundrymom 04:02 AM 12-01-2010
Truly? Wow. Details please?

Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I pet sit on weekends, holidays, and in the summer. It actually pays better than child care!

AfterSchoolMom 04:14 AM 12-01-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Truly? Wow. Details please?
I sent you a PM!
MyAngels 05:46 AM 12-01-2010
I have done transcription and database design and management on the side. It pays well, but it takes quite a bit of time, which I didn't have much of when my kids were in high school, so I have not done anything for awhile.
emosks 05:58 AM 12-01-2010
I make hair bows, headbands, hats, etc and then hand sewn items and toys for kids too!

I go to craft shows and have an Etsy site.
Lilbutterflie 06:16 AM 12-01-2010
I sent you a PM!
That's a great idea! Can you give me some details in a PM also?
Lilbutterflie 06:18 AM 12-01-2010
Originally Posted by emosks:
I make hair bows, headbands, hats, etc and then hand sewn items and toys for kids too!

I go to craft shows and have an Etsy site.
I've made hair bows in the past as well, and now I'm getting into making kids' blankets; but it seems like I'd have to charge more than people would be willing to pay to cover the expenses. Where do you get your supplies from?
emosks 06:22 AM 12-01-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I've made hair bows in the past as well, and now I'm getting into making kids' blankets; but it seems like I'd have to charge more than people would be willing to pay to cover the expenses. Where do you get your supplies from?
I have found some wholesale websites for ribbon and supplies. I just buy the rest at Joanns or Hobby Lobby. My business partner for the daycare does blankets as well!!
momofboys 06:29 AM 12-01-2010
I score essays (standardized elementary, secondary, high school) online through Pearson Education (widely known textbook publisher). The work is only available seasonally but the great part is it is truly flexible, you can work anytime between 7 am - 11 pm CT. Of course since I am watching kids during the day I can only work in the evenings & weekends but it's only 3-4 months of the year (typically in the spring although I just scored exams in November for a few weeks). You do need to have a bachelor's degree but it can be for any major. You can make about $12-14/hr. I really enjoy it & last month's work pretty much paid for all our Christmas gifts (sort of, not much left after we caught up on bills!). I worked about 50 hours in 3 weeks (you can work more I just don't have the time-thank heavens for a great husband willing to occupy our boys on the weekends!). If anyone wants more information send me a PM.
Gwmw1210 07:22 AM 12-01-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
I score essays (standardized elementary, secondary, high school) online through Pearson Education (widely known textbook publisher). The work is only available seasonally but the great part is it is truly flexible, you can work anytime between 7 am - 11 pm CT. Of course since I am watching kids during the day I can only work in the evenings & weekends but it's only 3-4 months of the year (typically in the spring although I just scored exams in November for a few weeks). You do need to have a bachelor's degree but it can be for any major. You can make about $12-14/hr. I really enjoy it & last month's work pretty much paid for all our Christmas gifts (sort of, not much left after we caught up on bills!). I worked about 50 hours in 3 weeks (you can work more I just don't have the time-thank heavens for a great husband willing to occupy our boys on the weekends!). If anyone wants more information send me a PM.
I sent you a PM.
MarinaVanessa 07:26 AM 12-01-2010
I do lots of things here and there ... all part-time. I do portrait and lifestyle photography as I can find the work, Tupperware, Mary Kay, and just recently I'm trying my hand at casting (stone castings of infant and children's hands and feet). I'm always looking for a way to suppliment my income .
DaycareMomma 08:26 AM 12-01-2010
I sell Mary Kay and Tupperware on the side. I haven't been as active lately as I used to be, so if anyone needs anything PM me
booroo 12:24 PM 12-01-2010
I would love to do a business on the side.... I just cant find one to do!!

I have tried to find something and cant.... pet sitting is a good one... but I would have to build a kennel.. and I would have to miss my traveling at christmas!! I dont know... All I kow is... I need to find something... only having 2 part-time daycare kids is not helpig pay the bills.... and we are in need of a car BAD!!!
AfterSchoolMom 12:41 PM 12-01-2010
Originally Posted by :
but I would have to build a kennel
Not true! I don't have one.
Blackcat31 02:15 PM 12-01-2010
I don't have a business on the side, but i am in college Full-time on the side....does that count? I currently have 16 credits and although it is time consuming, I hope it will lead to extra income....
tenderhearts 02:21 PM 12-01-2010
I would love to know more about the pet sitting too. My son would have a blast helping with something like that, I'd like info too thank you
momma2girls 11:07 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by booroo:
I would love to do a business on the side.... I just cant find one to do!!

I have tried to find something and cant.... pet sitting is a good one... but I would have to build a kennel.. and I would have to miss my traveling at christmas!! I dont know... All I kow is... I need to find something... only having 2 part-time daycare kids is not helpig pay the bills.... and we are in need of a car BAD!!!
PM me I have a great one!!
momma2girls 11:08 AM 12-02-2010
I sell Scentsy! It is great money, and it all sells itself!! If anyone would like to know anymore on it, just PM me!! Scentsy is truly awesome and the co. is as well!!!
marniewon 11:16 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I sell Scentsy! It is great money, and it all sells itself!! If anyone would like to know anymore on it, just PM me!! Scentsy is truly awesome and the co. is as well!!!
I don't mean to step on any toes here, but if we're "advertising" our business here, I sell Partylite, and I love it! If anyone wants more info, PM me

Iowa - I'm not being sarcastic or cheeky about this - I don't know a lot about Scentsy, but I've seen some of the products and I really like the variety you have for your melters!! We only have a few but I love our candles too
momma2girls 11:19 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
I don't mean to step on any toes here, but if we're "advertising" our business here, I sell Partylite, and I love it! If anyone wants more info, PM me

Iowa - I'm not being sarcastic or cheeky about this - I don't know a lot about Scentsy, but I've seen some of the products and I really like the variety you have for your melters!! We only have a few but I love our candles too
I like Partylite also, til I found Scentsy- wickless and flameless. There are 80 different scents to choose from!
AmandasFCC 11:41 AM 12-02-2010
I sell Usborne Books and Norwex on the side. I love both the products and use them daily so I figured why not try to make a little extra cash doing it hehe
momma2girls 11:54 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by AmandasFCC:
I sell Usborne Books and Norwex on the side. I love both the products and use them daily so I figured why not try to make a little extra cash doing it hehe
I love Usborne books, I have a bunch for my daughters!! I especially like the feely ones!!
Lilbutterflie 11:56 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
Janarae, this sounds really interesting too! I have a bachelor's degree, and I enjoy things like that. Can you PM me with some info?
Blackcat31 12:19 PM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
Janarae, this sounds really interesting too! I have a bachelor's degree, and I enjoy things like that. Can you PM me with some info?
Janarae...PM me too!! Please.
Momof2Boys 02:03 PM 12-02-2010
I sell Scentsy also
momofboys 02:45 PM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Janarae...PM me too!! Please.
Hey ladies I am just going to create an OT post about this. I don;t have time to keep forwarding it although I am happy to tell you about it. Look for my post shortly :-)
momma2girls 07:07 AM 12-03-2010
Originally Posted by Momof2Boys:
I sell Scentsy also
AWESOME!!!!!! Isn't it great????? How long have you been doing it?
Momof2Boys 09:48 AM 12-03-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
AWESOME!!!!!! Isn't it great????? How long have you been doing it?
Only since July. I did great for the month of July and August, and haven't really got my butt in gear and kept it up (although I'm still getting orders). But I definitely am with the holiday season It is REALLY fun, I am loving it!! How long have you been selling it?
booroo 10:48 AM 12-03-2010
Not true! I don't have one.
So then how do you make it work..?????
momma2girls 02:52 PM 12-03-2010
Originally Posted by Momof2Boys:
Only since July. I did great for the month of July and August, and haven't really got my butt in gear and kept it up (although I'm still getting orders). But I definitely am with the holiday season It is REALLY fun, I am loving it!! How long have you been selling it?
I have been selling it a little over a year. It has taken off like wildfire, and I have been having so much fun doing it!!! I love it!!
Tags:extra work, side business
Reply Up