Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Contracted Hours Of Operation?
EarthyMom 05:52 AM 09-24-2012
I just was hoping to get a general concensus on the hours of operation for daycares, and maybe a blip on why you chose to be open those hours?

I am a little confused at my hours of operation. There are other daycares in the area, and I see ads on craigslist offering home daycare with flexible hours.. apparently they aren't filled up. I am not totally enthused about 12 hour workdays unless I have to. I am just concerned I wont be able to fill spots.

I assume that word of mouth is a great way to get more kids enrolled. That is going to have to be my ace in the hole. I hope to make families very happy and excited about my program.
lovemykidstoo 06:02 AM 09-24-2012
I am open from 7:30 until 5;30. I usually have my first child at 7:30 and the last one leaves bout 5:15.
rhymia1 06:25 AM 09-24-2012
I am open from 7:30-4:45/5:00. I try to take mostly teacher's kids. It works for me. I tried doing contracted hours when I first was starting out. It was a PITA, and most clients could not understand why they couldn't come at 7:00 like Susie was or stay until 5:30 like Joey did. I know it works well for some people, but it just didn't for me. I like saying I'm open from x time to x time PERIOD. This way there is no room for negotiation, and I feel less "used."
Crazy8 06:34 AM 09-24-2012
I do contracted hours so I don't have a specific open to close. Right now my earliest comes at 7am and my latest goes home at 5pm. I won't do beyond 5 - I did back when I started but now I choose clients who do not need those hours. I'm even trying to get more of the 4:30 pick ups - I have one contracted till 4:45 and one till 5:00 now, but if I can get more 4:30's I'd be happy. I don't mind starting at 7 since my kids get on the bus at 7:05 anyway.
momofsix 06:57 AM 09-24-2012
I don't have "open hours". I open when my first family comes and close when they leave. Right now that's 7am until 6pm at the latest.
SilverSabre25 07:44 AM 09-24-2012
Money has to be REALLY good for me to work outside of 7-6. And I don't even like that but it's what it is.

I keep the possibility open, though, for the right family/right price/right schedule/etc. So, "officially" I don't have set hours. Just in my head I do.
Blackcat31 08:32 AM 09-24-2012
My earliest arrival is 7:40 (7:15 on Thursdays only) and my latest pick up is 5:15 every day.

I will NOT work outside of 7:15 - 5:30. (Not even for really good pay )

Here is a poll about what hours people are in operation
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35175

Here is a poll on how many providers use open/close hours or contracted hours
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40946
EarthyMom 09:17 AM 09-24-2012
Thank you for these responses and the links! This is exactly what I was looking for and I thank you for taking time to reply.
Nickel 10:15 AM 09-24-2012
I also do contracted hours so it depends on my dck. But my earliest is 8:30 and my latest is 7:30. But i am usually done by 5:30. All my dck are part time so it changes every day. But some fridays i am done by 11am so it works out well for me. I love asking parents whqt hours because when they say 9-1 i think perfect! Btw i am not a morning person so the later hours work better for me. And dh is barely home before 730 anyway so it does work for us
momma2girls 10:17 AM 09-24-2012
I only do contracted hrs. work and commute times only.
WImom 12:55 PM 09-24-2012
I am willing to work 7:00-4:30 but only do contracted hours. So some people are only contracted until 4pm, some 4:30.
daycarediva 01:16 PM 09-24-2012
I do contracted hours within my open/close time frame of 6-6. I have ONE family that needs me until 6, but when they are done I am going to close at 5. The 6am's don't bother me (getting my big kids up and ready for school anyway so I am already up and showered). If I didn't do early mornings I wouldn't have 7/8 of my clients.
frugalmama4 03:03 PM 09-24-2012
Just remember its your business...you determine what time you want to operate.

For me-on paper (with the state) my hours are 6:30-6:30; however I just changed over to contracted hours with my hours of operation about two months ago. I do not advertiser my hours any more and in my hand book it reads 6:30-5:30 Monday-Friday extended hours available upon request. This way if I need to fill a spot or need the extra income it's on my terms!

Hope this helps!

BTW I had a great Monday

Got some GREAT FREE TOOLS/TOYS FROM LAKE SHORE! GOD IS GOOD!
Thetotspot 03:43 PM 09-24-2012
I just started running outside my home...and my earliest arrives at 7:30 and my latest leaves at 7:45. Its crazy and entirely too many hours because i cone esrly to prep and take daycare laundry home at night. There are definitely downfalls to opening up in a building 7 miles from home. The latest little girl was only accepted because it was supposed to be tempirary as a local daycare took a leave of absence....it turns out its going to be quite a while longer. I wont take kids this late again or take kids that need weekend care as i need more time to do housework at my own house.

On another note...how did you score free stuff from lakeshore? I must know!
Tags:contracted hours, hours of operation, open hours
Reply Up