Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Ipods and Ipads
kcnjason 07:13 AM 07-02-2012
Electronics are becoming very popular with kids as many of us know. My daughter used her money and paid half the cost of a used ipod and their grandmother bought an ipad for "educational" reasons. Of course, whats meant for educational turns into play/games. It is starting to go over-board, the use of these 2 electronics. Does anyone have any ideas they would like to share as to their rules they have for their kids and their electronics??? I believe the time needs to be limited but where do you set the boundaries?
cheerfuldom 12:23 PM 07-02-2012
You can have them earn time on their games by doing chores. I know a lot of moms have that system with a chore chart. Or limit the time per day and have a spot where the electronics belong unless it is time to use them. 30 minutes a day for a schoolager is what I hear other moms doing. We dont have this issue yet as my kids are young
Michael 12:43 PM 07-02-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
You can have them earn time on their games by doing chores. I know a lot of moms have that system with a chore chart. Or limit the time per day and have a spot where the electronics belong unless it is time to use them. 30 minutes a day for a schoolager is what I hear other moms doing. We dont have this issue yet as my kids are young

Agree with this ^^^

I am very liberal when it comes to my kids and electronic/internet products. As long as they are on a learning program or site I allow them free time.

When it is a game or social network site, They have to earn time. They must ask if they want to use them and there is always a chore or homework that must be done to earn it. Computer games or social networking sites are our bargaining chips. I've learned this from the first time my son got on the computer at 2 years old.

I've come to understand that the virtual world is something we cannot keep out kids from. It is the path forward and our children must be made aware of its usefulness and destructive aspects.
george74 07:12 AM 07-03-2012
There are endless educational possibilities for iPods and iPads instructional devices. Let's face it, between the iPhone, iPod, and, iPad a good portion of your students are already carrying these devices.
AdelePaul 03:26 AM 09-07-2012
I don't think that these gadgets should be given to such small children. If they get addicted to this it is totally impossible for the parents to handle them.
sandrapitt 10:36 AM 09-13-2012
Gadgets that parents or even kids claim to have for educational purposes are used for everything but education! It is very annoying when technology is misused by small kids. They firstly do not need them secondly its bad for their eyes and ears due to loud sounds on earphones and bright screens which they place right in front of the eyes. Parents need to be more strict and rather give the kids some good books to read.
AfterSchoolMom 03:05 PM 09-13-2012
We do an hour per day of game time on weekends and holidays/summer, IF the chores are done first. On school days we do 30 minutes if all homework is completed and lunch packed for the next day. Ours generally only get that about twice per week due to after school activities anyway. I allow my oldest to listen to music or read for awhile (he has a Kindle) before bed as well.
MarinaVanessa 05:07 PM 09-13-2012
The great thing about these devices is that you have parental controls. Block websites and apps that you don't want them to use and put a lock on the device with a password that only you and your DH know. Only install apps that you approve of and that are educational. Or if you're more liberal (like I am) allow them to play non-educational games for a period of time with strict permision only.

I don't allow my kids to use their devices if I'm not within view. My DS has only educational games that are age appropriate on his device (drawing, alphabet flashcards, sound shaker, piano keybpoard etc. My DD can play educational games or listen to music ... if I catch her trying to sneak on the internet then she'd lose her priveleges to play the device. I don't allow either device to have FB or myspace. I check what she'd doing on it periodically to make sure .

I even load the music onto her iTouch. She suggest songs and I approve it. She uses headphones to play on her device and my rule of thumb is 30% (volume) for 30 minutes. It works well for me.

***Note: the above is only true if we are not riding in the car. If we are in the car for a long car ride they can play the WHOLE car-ride there. X-D
Reply Up