Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM Is Opening Own DC
DaisyMamma 11:37 AM 02-19-2012
I was on care.com searching for an assistant when I came across a new daycare in my town. I was shocked to see it is my newest student.
The mom has said nothing to me and as far as I knew is working at an elementary school a couple of towns over. It looks like the DC won't be opening until Fall, but actually it says Fall 2011 on the web site. Strange! Any thoughts???
Blackcat31 12:48 PM 02-19-2012
I have had 2 daycare mom's in care that opened their own daycares. One I termed and she was sure she could do a better job than me so she opened her own. She lived 2 blocks away. I couldn't have cared less. Just because a person knows the right things to do and has the tools to do them doesn't mean they CAN. She was open for about 9 months before she took a job in retail.

The second mom actually left my care when she decided to open her own. She has been in business now for about 5 years but runs her program in a much different way than I do, so I really don't consider her direct competition. Her and I are on good terms and talk often at association type meetings and area trainings. She is a nice gal and I wish her the best.

I guess, I am not sure why people get upset or bothered that others open their own daycares.

After all, we all know the job looks simple when you think that the only pre-requisites are liking Bon-bons and soap operas.
DaisyMamma 12:58 PM 02-19-2012
I think I was just in shock.
I just think it would be common courtesy to mention it.
I would have been happy for her. Now I just feel like she's keeping it secret from me, so now I wonder what's the deal? Is she using me for research? Did she change her mind? Did she fail to get kids?
Her web site was registered in July 2011, but she's not licensed, I checked.
Blackcat31 01:42 PM 02-19-2012
Originally Posted by lymemomma:
I think I was just in shock.
I just think it would be common courtesy to mention it.
I would have been happy for her. Now I just feel like she's keeping it secret from me, so now I wonder what's the deal? Is she using me for research? Did she change her mind? Did she fail to get kids?
Her web site was registered in July 2011, but she's not licensed, I checked.
Yes, that would bother me. I guess I didn't read your original post very well...sorry...

I would absolutely expect her to say something to you. I would feel as if she were hiding something if she didn't mention it.

Maybe she felt like you would either not approve or would not be happy about it.

Are you planning on saying anything to her? If it were me, I would. I would probably just casually mention that you were on care.com and came across her ad. Then I would stop and just wait to see what she says.

Who knows...seems like in today's world, as soon as we think we are sure about something, it turns out to be something totally different.

But, I would absolutely mention it to her....now I am curious too
familyschoolcare 01:57 PM 02-19-2012
If the add said fall 2011, maybe, it is an old add and she was going to open a daycare but then took the teaching job.
justgettingstarted 05:00 PM 02-19-2012
I started my daycare while my son was still going to his daycare. I didn't want to tell his provider because I thought she might term him while I was still going through the licensing process and working a regular job. It was a really stressful time for me. I was actually really nervous to tell her because she's been doing daycare for a long time and I'm still figuring it all out. I wouldn't get upset, maybe she just really wants to be home with her child - that's why I opened mine BTW - when I did tell his provider she told me that she was very unexpectedly pregnant with #3 and was closing her daycare anyway!
cheerfuldom 09:24 PM 02-19-2012
One of my DCMs quit and said that she was opening her own daycare too. She started researching options and now, 9 months later, still has not started it. Looks a lot easier than it actually is! Either way, are you sure that the ad itself is not from last year? maybe she was going to but changed her mind?
christinaskids 11:02 AM 02-20-2012
I wouldnt assume she is lying to you. It sounds as if she may have tried then figured it wasnt as easy as it looks and kept working. I tried starting a daycare about 9 mos before i finally did but couldnt handle the loss of income so kept working until my husband made more and some other personal things happened and we could afford it. It was hard making 150 a week for three months as i got going. I had 3 kids to support also.
bunnyslippers 02:40 PM 02-20-2012
I think I would mention to her that you saw her info, and ask if she needs any help with developing the child care. I would be supportive and kind about it - then you can get the full story. What is better than another provider near you that you can develop a relationship with? It is awkward, so take the high road and offer some help. Kindness comes back, so pay it forward!
DaisyMamma 04:16 AM 02-21-2012
This is true, I can certainly offer to help. Good idea! Besides I would be very happy to lose her child. Well behaved kid but so so loud. Non stop chatter box, brings the volume of the house up twenty-fold.
But her child is going to kindergarten this coming fall so I'm willing to bet it was an abandoned idea.
Tags:competition, parent - opened daycare
Reply Up