Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Talking Non Stop Helppp!!!!
temom 01:00 PM 05-09-2012
DCB boy is a sweet heart very helpful, eager to please. But talks non stop and is really really loud. from 7 in the morning to 5:30 its non stop talking. He is 6 yrs old so its not like he doesn't understand what quite time is but he just doesn't stay quite. I normally try and take 15 to 20 mins for lunch but this kid just won't stop talking to me and if i don't answer he will keep repeating the question. Nap time if i have him reading a book or coloring he will still keep showing me his work or asking question. He is like the sweetest kid but he voice and laugh is like a jack hammer at times. how do i get that half an hour of quite time?
DCP 01:05 PM 05-09-2012
LOL MY OWN 7 YR old G is like that...drives me up a wall!!!!! Sorry I can not help but wanted to let you know...I live this nightmare myself
Heidi 01:06 PM 05-09-2012
How about an egg timer.....?

"Miss x's ears need to rest for a little while. Go find something to do, and when this timer goes off, you can tell me all about it. If you talk while it's ticking, I have to start it over".

Lengthen the time a little each day until you get your hour. A 6 year old is perfectly capable of entertaining himself for an hour.

Another option...give him someone else to talk to...like a toy. Same spiel about your ears needing rest, but he can talk to the Hulk, or GI Joe, or a stuffed animal while you're resting...
temom 01:12 PM 05-09-2012
LOL thanks DCP, my heart goes out to you, atleast mine goes home :P like i said he is a sweet heart but a talker.

Heidi thank you very much i will give a shot tomorrow and update you guys.
DCP 01:23 PM 05-09-2012
great ideas Heidi!!!
busymommy0420 04:12 PM 05-09-2012
My DCG almost 4 talks all day...I usually do not say anything but today at 5:15 I said B*******. I need you to stop talking please. I need you to play quietly. It worked! She is my sweetie pie but OMG she never is quiet. Thank God she naps for two hours daily!
temom 05:57 PM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by busymommy0420:
My DCG almost 4 talks all day...I usually do not say anything but today at 5:15 I said B*******. I need you to stop talking please. I need you to play quietly. It worked! She is my sweetie pie but OMG she never is quiet. Thank God she naps for two hours daily!
God, you are lucky u get two hours, mine out grew naps since he was 2. i had him till 7 today, wanted to hit my head with a hammer :P
jojosmommy 06:44 PM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by temom:
DCB boy is a sweet heart very helpful, eager to please. But talks non stop and is really really loud. from 7 in the morning to 5:30 its non stop talking. He is 6 yrs old so its not like he doesn't understand what quite time is but he just doesn't stay quite. I normally try and take 15 to 20 mins for lunch but this kid just won't stop talking to me and if i don't answer he will keep repeating the question. Nap time if i have him reading a book or coloring he will still keep showing me his work or asking question. He is like the sweetest kid but he voice and laugh is like a jack hammer at times. how do i get that half an hour of quite time?
Omg! You took the words out if my mouth. I have the same kid here. I love the egg timer idea. I tell my dck he has to read in his head because the other kids need it silent to fall asleep. He goes to bed kindy for two hrs every afternoon or my ears would have fallen off by now.
DaisyMamma 07:15 AM 05-10-2012
I feel your pain!
I would really enforce the quiet time. Even at 6 he can use an hour of quiet book time. The egg timer is a great idea.
I've had kids like this and I can't stand it! I usually tell them to go play, go play with the other kids, Or even go play quietly. Sometimes it works. It helps to be outside too.

Good luck!
christinaskids 10:22 AM 05-10-2012
I have a brother and sister sibling set that really give me a run for my money! They ask a million questions and while its awesome they are so inquisitive, it does get old! I'll just say, "i dont feel like talking right now, ok?" That usually does the trick for a while and they go talk their friends ears off for a bit.
lil angels 10:36 AM 05-10-2012
I saw the post and I thought oh my that is my 5yr ols son. I like the egg timer to. We went to conferences and we asked if he is ever quiet or closes his mouth. And with a big sigh she says nnnnooo. I had to laugh.
temom 10:42 AM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
How about an egg timer.....?

"Miss x's ears need to rest for a little while. Go find something to do, and when this timer goes off, you can tell me all about it. If you talk while it's ticking, I have to start it over".

Lengthen the time a little each day until you get your hour. A 6 year old is perfectly capable of entertaining himself for an hour.

Another option...give him someone else to talk to...like a toy. Same spiel about your ears needing rest, but he can talk to the Hulk, or GI Joe, or a stuffed animal while you're resting...
heidi i could hug you right now, its been 20 mins of utter silence, blissful
thank u thank u soo much for the egg timer idea.
Heidi 10:43 AM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by temom:
heidi i could hug you right now, its been 20 mins of utter silence, blissful
thank u thank u soo much for the egg timer idea.
Yay me!

cyber hug back at ya!

Don't forget to praise him for doing such a good job afterwards. A sticker might be in order too as a reinforcement..?
Tags:repetitive, talker, talking out load
Reply Up