Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Maybe It's Just Me
NiNi.R. 06:12 AM 08-23-2011
I provide before and after school care for children the children that have previously been in my care and aged out. I charge $20.00 a week for a maximum of 5 hours of care a day.

So DCM waited until last minute to find transportation to and from school... and when I mean last minute I mean the day before school started. DCM drops her off at 6:15am in her jammies. I get her prepared for school by making sure she gets dressed, doing her hair, etc. She gets picked up at 7:30 and eats breakfast at school. School gets out at 3:15 and she then goes to the after school program at the school because her grandfather who brings her to me runs a bus route and can't pick her up right after school. Grandfather decides instead of picking her up after her bus route he will wait until 5:30pm when the after school program closes. She then gets picked up by someone from my house at the latest by 6pm.(btw Her sister is here from 6:15am-6pm)

So this am DCM throws a fit about grandfather and tells me she thinks she should be picked up at 4:30pm because she still has to pay me 20.00/week and she needs to be here. Maybe it's just me but I don't think it was necessary for her to go out of her way to complain about this to me. This really isn't my problem either way but irritates me because...

1. DCKs here 50 hours a week Mon-Thurs. Occasionally when DCM can't find anyone else they are here on a Friday free of charge.
2. When there is a day of no school I don't charge extra for DCK being here a full day.
3. Every few months the school has a late start day. The days DCK will be eating breakfast here and be in my care and extra 1.5hr longer than normal free of charge.

So considering those 3 things, paying me 20.00/wk probably evens out after all the freebies I give her. As far as I'm concerned she should just be thankful that she has transportation for her child. After all, I did tell her she could switch to the daycare that provided transportation if it would be easier for her and she opted to stay. So the way I look at it she has no reason to complain. But that's just me!
Cat Herder 06:16 AM 08-23-2011
I don't think you are charging her NEAR enough.

Did this woman give you a kidney or something???
mismatchedsocks 06:22 AM 08-23-2011
Wait what?! $20 a week? or a day? Im thinking that for getting her ready and keeping her an hour in morning then from 530 until pick up is fair for $40 a week ( with max 2 hours a day) any more time that the child would be there would be extra ( like if grandpa dropped off at 430)
cheerfuldom 06:27 AM 08-23-2011
I don't think you are charging her enough but in her defense, all of the "freebies" you are not charging for are just a part of the services you provide as far as she is concerned. Either start charging her for everything so you are no longer resenting this family or keep a running tally of what you have provided her for no charge and add this to her weekly or monthly invoice/receipt so she is more aware of what you are doing.
nannyde 06:55 AM 08-23-2011
Is this twenty a day or twenty a week?
Cat Herder 07:05 AM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I read 25 hours of care for $20 a week...plus food, hair styling, 2 drop-offs/2 pick-ups per day and dressing for school.

(that is not even including occasional free fridays)
NiNi.R. 07:57 AM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
It's a week. I'm not responsible for finding a way to and from school. It's not so much money or the fact that I'm giving her the freebies but the inconsideration to all the people that help her out.

Might I add that she is gets the after school program for free. So it's not even like she has to pay me and the school.
AfterSchoolMom 08:09 AM 08-23-2011
Wow. I do B/A care for 20 hours a week and charge $80 for it. She's getting the deal of the century - tell her to kiss your behind if she complains again!

(ETA: Of course, I'm not serious about that...but I DO think you aren't charging enough. )
Meeko 08:46 AM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Wow. I do B/A care for 20 hours a week and charge $80 for it. She's getting the deal of the century - tell her to kiss your behind if she complains again!

(ETA: Of course, I'm not serious about that...but I DO think you aren't charging enough. )
Why aren't you serious about that? I think that's a good idea!
AfterSchoolMom 09:01 AM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Why aren't you serious about that? I think that's a good idea!
Ok, well, then, in that case...
nannyde 09:21 AM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by NiNi.R.:
It's a week. I'm not responsible for finding a way to and from school. It's not so much money or the fact that I'm giving her the freebies but the inconsideration to all the people that help her out.

Might I add that she is gets the after school program for free. So it's not even like she has to pay me and the school.
With those hours and the amount of direct care and parent contacts you are having it is for free.. all of it.

If it's not about the money then I don't have any advice. If the Mom gets so much for free it's going to end up with her having really poor behavior. Giving away free is a risky risky business. The ones who receive free have a difficult time managing it because they haven't earned it. There's no value to it when it's given without being earned. You have to expect that she will want more and not value what she already has. It just comes with the giving of free.

Usuallly when providers give free like this it is to retain the second kid... protect the income of the second full time younger kid. It would be rare to run into a provider who just did this much free and have it not be about money some where along the lines.
laundrymom 09:45 AM 08-23-2011
I can't believe you are making so little. And she is griping???!!!!! Oh H no!
You are making 80 cents an hour? And that's on the bare minimum of care days. It is 2011, not 1972. I no longer do schoolers but when I last did I charged 3.50 per hour. 10 hour minimum per week! I'll tell you why she didn't want to switch to the other provider! Her daycare costs for THIS CHILD ALONE would triple!!
CheekyChick 09:48 AM 08-23-2011
NiNi, NiNi, NiNi...

You are TOO nice. $20.00 per week for what you provide is BEYOND generous. If she complains again, simply tell her that she is welcome to find alternate care - but she will most likely be charged double or triple what she is paying you.
Kaddidle Care 09:57 AM 08-23-2011
Just shaking my head. I can't believe the "Mother" and I use that term lightly isn't even dressing the child before dropping her off.

You're doing too much for free dear, you're worth much more than that. MUCH More.
mismatchedsocks 02:49 PM 08-23-2011
And the service besides getting child ready and watching a few hours a day is the "ease" of her not having to do anything that involves taking her kid to school. I mean someone else picks the child up and drops off. She just has to make one stop for both kids. Lucky her!!
NiNi.R. 03:16 PM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:

$80.00/week for B/A care is amazing! Here full time rates range from $95.00 a week to $125.00 a week.
Country Kids 03:21 PM 08-23-2011
I seriously need to move!!!!! My before or after school rate is $75.00 for the month and then for before and after school care it is $150.00 for the month!
momma2girls 04:32 PM 08-23-2011
I charge $60.00/wk for before and after school, or $40.00/week for before or after school. You are WAY TOO CHEAP!!!! You need to increase your rates now!!
Tags:after school - fee, before school - fee, school-age
Reply Up