Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Mom Letting Herself In...
Unregistered 07:08 PM 02-17-2011
I slept in for the first time in years two weeks ago and was shocked at what happened. My husband had already left for work so the side door was unlocked. My daycare parents always knock and walk into my porch area for pick ups and drop offs. That morning a daycare mom came with her two and half year old son and did what she typically would do, knocked and walked into the porch area. When I did not come to the door though she proceeded to wander through my home looking for me until she found me in bed sleeping. I was just completely shocked. I felt really bad for sleeping in but I honestly do not think that this lady had a right to be wandering around my house either. I hold an open door policy when a client's child is in my care, not when I do not have the child yet. Plus my daycare is run downstairs and my upstairs is suppose to be our private home. How would you feel if one of your daycare parents did this?
Kaddidle Care 07:28 PM 02-17-2011
She may have just been concerned because you weren't up and about especially since you haven't done that in years. I would think she should have at least been calling you or calling Helloooooooo? Anybody home?

She probably felt just as awkward as you did.
Hunni Bee 07:34 PM 02-17-2011
This woman had no right to wander through your house and come into your bedroom. That said, I would be a little PO'ed to drop my son off at daycare and find the place "not open". And with that being said, I wouldn't be asleep in the house with the door unlocked because just as she let herself in, a creep could do the same thing. But I dont live in a safe city, so it may be different...
marniewon 08:23 PM 02-17-2011
I can see all sides of this, but honestly, I'd be irate if a parent walked into my bedroom!!! She could have (and should have) called you when she didn't see you there to greet them. There is no reason to be walking all through your house looking for you. Obviously, if you were up and about, you would be waiting for them, or at least in the process of getting to them. If she was concerned about you, she should have tried calling you. Or pounding on the door. I would feel very awkward as a parent walking through my provider's house. I probably wouldn't do it - no matter how concerned I was. If I couldn't reach my provider by knocking or calling, I would probably call the police to come and do a well-being check.

And to Hunni Bee - we live in a safe area, and we NEVER lock our doors. My dh leaves way before I get up and he never locks the door behind him. In fact, I don't even have a key to the door. Well, maybe somewhere, but I don't know where. Although, when I get up, I go out and lock the door, just so I can get ready and let the dog out before my families start to arrive, just in case of that rare occasion when they get here way early and just walk in.
cillybean83 04:16 AM 02-18-2011
i think it would be awkward more than infuriating! I open at 6 so the only lights that are on are the one above the stove and the hall light because my family is still sleeping, and so are my littles when they get dropped off so I don't look "open" until 8ish when everyone starts getting up.

She should have rang the doorbell, called, called your name, etc..anything but wandering into your bedroom, that's kinda weird.
countrymom 05:16 AM 02-18-2011
I would be mad thats for sure, but maybe she thought something happened, I think she was worried. I have a door bell alarm (you can buy it at homedepot) it costs 40 dollars, everytime the door opens it a ding dong sound. The main unit is attatched to the door and the you can plug the unit it anywhere, so you can move it around.
E Daycare 05:28 AM 02-18-2011
Man would I be irate!

Id start sleeping in the nude. This way if there is a next time (there better not be because WHO DOES THAT?) and you sit up with Thelma and Louise hanging out then maybe that would scare the parent into waiting in her car. Or across the street.
Angelwings36 05:39 AM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by E Daycare:
Man would I be irate!

Id start sleeping in the nude. This way if there is a next time (there better not be because WHO DOES THAT?) and you sit up with Thelma and Louise hanging out then maybe that would scare the parent into waiting in her car. Or across the street.
lol that's a good one!
littlemissmuffet 06:09 AM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I slept in for the first time in years two weeks ago and was shocked at what happened. My husband had already left for work so the side door was unlocked. My daycare parents always knock and walk into my porch area for pick ups and drop offs. That morning a daycare mom came with her two and half year old son and did what she typically would do, knocked and walked into the porch area. When I did not come to the door though she proceeded to wander through my home looking for me until she found me in bed sleeping. I was just completely shocked. I felt really bad for sleeping in but I honestly do not think that this lady had a right to be wandering around my house either. I hold an open door policy when a client's child is in my care, not when I do not have the child yet. Plus my daycare is run downstairs and my upstairs is suppose to be our private home. How would you feel if one of your daycare parents did this?
Honestly, I wouldn't care.
Like you, I have an open door policy too and also have the DC downstairs with our private living quarters upstairs - but I don't think any of my parents would come upstairs to my room... I think they would call my name around the house (from the bottom of the stairs), which would probably wake me up. If not, they would call from their cell phones and start rining the door bell to wake me (that definitely would).
Coming up in to my room is not something I would expect them to do, but if any of them did, I really don't think I would be bothered by it - I'm really comfy with all my moms and dads.
daycare 07:35 AM 02-18-2011
hmm... well I am sure she has a phone and so do you right?? a call should have been made before ever entering any property..... And this is what i would be telling this parent.

What if you were not home? Then guess what she would be guilty of breaking and entering....lol not that you would ever do that, but that is the harsh truth...... yes this is a business, but it is a HOME.

BTW I would be embarassed and mad if someone did this, as I sleep without clothes..........lol sorry you had to hear that.....

littlemissmuffet 08:24 AM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
hmm... well I am sure she has a phone and so do you right?? a call should have been made before ever entering any property..... And this is what i would be telling this parent.

What if you were not home? Then guess what she would be guilty of breaking and entering....lol not that you would ever do that, but that is the harsh truth...... yes this is a business, but it is a HOME.

BTW I would be embarassed and mad if someone did this, as I sleep without clothes..........lol sorry you had to hear that.....

I disagree. First, not everyone has a cellphone. I don't. All my parents do at current, but in the past I have had parents who don't... I would never expect my parents to call my cellphone or home before coming in!
Also, my parents all just give a quick knock and walk right in, no matter what time of day (during business hours of course). Their children are in my home, I want the parents to be just as comfortable as the children. I also can't be running back and forth to answer the door all the time.

I only sleep in the nude on weekends (just in case I do oversleep). During the week, boxers and a tee. LOL.
littlemonkeys 08:57 AM 02-18-2011
I would have to say that I would be pretty upset... Especially if my bedroom was upstairs. She had no right to go upstairs and she should have just called you on the phone or yelled your name. I can understand walking in to your downstairs and looking around for you, but Even if no response, its still not her business to go upstairs and start opening doors to end up in your bedroom. What if you were on the toilet, or naked and in the middle of getting dressed? Its just awkward! Doesn't excuse you from sleeping in, but like you said it hasn't happened in a long time and we're only human.

What did she say?
missnikki 10:14 AM 02-18-2011
Did you talk to her? It sounds like one of those things that will be an 'elephant in the room' until someone brings it up. Then you will both breathe a sigh of relief and laugh it off nervously. In a month, you'll be on to some other annoyance.
Unregistered 01:21 PM 02-18-2011
Ok not sure Im understanding this post. A dc parent walked on in to your home/bedroom and you were asleep? Were you supposed to be closed that day? Opening later? Two diffrent schools of thought here: She had no right to enter your bedroom and secondly: How were you in bed if you usually are up?
I actually had a parent come in drop her child off and leave when I wasnt in the dc area (bathroom run) and when I walked out here was the boy and no mom. Needless to say that never happened again!
I had another family come 30 minutes early and they just walked right in and stood in the dark until I came out b/c I thought I heard the door. (I thought the door was locked)
My hubby leaves through the garag somy front door is locked until I open!
I would have a talk with that mom!
Debbie
QualiTcare 03:44 PM 02-18-2011
you might want to be thankful that she wandered through your home and WOKE YOU UP when you were supposed to be working. SHE had to be at work and has paid YOU to watch her child so that she doesn't have to be late or call in.

(for the record, this OP hasn't responded so we don't KNOW that this parent didn't try to call also)

it would take ONCE for me to go to daycare to find it empty before terminating. however, if i had the NERVE to walk in through an unlocked door and look around for the person i paid to keep my child - and i found them so no harm was done - i wouldn't think it was too big of a deal.

i'm sure she's told people the story and everyone is saying "are you serious? she was in BED and you had to wake her up?!"
Crystal 03:48 PM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
you might want to be thankful that she wandered through your home and WOKE YOU UP when you were supposed to be working. SHE had to be at work and has paid YOU to watch her child so that she doesn't have to be late or call in.

(for the record, this OP hasn't responded so we don't KNOW that this parent didn't try to call also)

it would take ONCE for me to go to daycare to find it empty before terminating. however, if i had the NERVE to walk in through an unlocked door and look around for the person i paid to keep my child - and i found them so no harm was done - i wouldn't think it was too big of a deal.

i'm sure she's told people the story and everyone is saying "are you serious? she was in BED and you had to wake her up?!"
I TOTALLY agree.
squareone 07:03 PM 02-18-2011
OMG, what did she say when she saw you???????

As a provider I think the parent was out of line. She has no business in any part of your home that is not a designated daycare area. She should have called out to you from downstairs and if you didn't answer she should have called your house from her cell phone. If she doesn't have a cell phone then she should have done the same thing she would have done if she had arrived at a center and found that it was closed. I would be irate if my privacy was invaded like this. I wonder how long she waited before she went searching around your house?

As a parent, I would have been extremely annoyed that you were were not awake and ready to receive my child when I arrived. However, as long as the incident didn't make me late for work that day, and it had never happened before, I wouldn't have been TOO upset. I might have even been able to laugh it off by pick-up time.

I am sure that it won't ever happen again but hopefully you had a talk with her about what she should do if it does.

P.S. Start locking your doors.
QualiTcare 07:44 PM 02-18-2011
once again, we don't know that this parent didn't knock, yell, or try to call before looking for the provider.

the statement "she should've done the same thing she would've done if she had arrived at a center" is a little contradictory. if i arrived at a center, i would walk in the door - and if i didn't see anyone - i would most certainly walk around looking and that includes in the bathrooms - who KNOWS why on earth someone who is getting PAID to be at WORK is unresponsive.

i think it's funny - child care providers want to be seen as "professionals" until they don't want to be and then it's "this is my HOME!"

think about it from a parent's point of view who has given you a check and has to be at work in ten minutes while you're in BED.

not to mention - everyone gets in a tizzy if a daycare parent is running late and doesn't call - but a provider being in bed is "understandable" since it's not the norm. wow.
Live and Learn 08:00 PM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:

I agree!

I don't have parents pick up late and have NEVER slept in on a daycare day....
sometimes I wonder if the parents who admit to over sleeping occasionally are the same providers whose parents pick up late occasionally.

I don't know but I wonder if a parent sees the provider not respecting the drop off time then maybe they think it is OK for them to pick up late....
I don't know ......just thinking out loud.....I mean thinking on the keyboard!
QualiTcare 08:31 PM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
I agree!

I don't have parents pick up late and have NEVER slept in on a daycare day....
sometimes I wonder if the parents who admit to over sleeping occasionally are the same providers whose parents pick up late occasionally.

I don't know but I wonder if a parent sees the provider not respecting the drop off time then maybe they think it is OK for them to pick up late....
I don't know ......just thinking out loud.....I mean thinking on the keyboard!

i know one thing - i work in a "professional environment" and i'd be shocked to death and embarrassed if my manager showed up in my bedroom to wake me up AND on top of that i got no pay deduction!

that'll be a cold day in hell - i'd be fired in a heartbeat if i wasn't awake and ready - no phonecall, no knocking, no yelling required. period.

like i said - childcare providers don't want to be treated any differently until they want to be treated differently.
Unregistered 09:36 PM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
OMG, what did she say when she saw you???????

As a provider I think the parent was out of line. She has no business in any part of your home that is not a designated daycare area. She should have called out to you from downstairs and if you didn't answer she should have called your house from her cell phone. If she doesn't have a cell phone then she should have done the same thing she would have done if she had arrived at a center and found that it was closed. I would be irate if my privacy was invaded like this. I wonder how long she waited before she went searching around your house?

As a parent, I would have been extremely annoyed that you were were not awake and ready to receive my child when I arrived. However, as long as the incident didn't make me late for work that day, and it had never happened before, I wouldn't have been TOO upset. I might have even been able to laugh it off by pick-up time.

I am sure that it won't ever happen again but hopefully you had a talk with her about what she should do if it does.

P.S. Start locking your doors.
I totally agree with this to a T!

A parent has absolutely NO right to enter an undesignated child care area and search for me. However, I can understand that she searched the downstairs area, but feel that she was completely out of line when she walked up your stairs and started opening doors. I am so curious to hear what she said when she saw you in bed. :laugh:

Now as a parent... if I were in this situation and found that my child’s daycare provider was not there to greet me, I'd start knocking hard or ringing the door bell a million times, and then yell her name. If that didn't work I'd call her, and if that didn't work then I'd probably call her again and leave a message on her phone and then leave. I would never search through someone’s house. I have an open door policy too, but that doesn't mean that parents can go wondering around my house in undesignated areas WITHOUT my permission. When the provider called me back to apologize because she over slept, then I'd either make a decision and find a new provider or make her reimburse me for that day since I now had to either find alternate care for my child or take the day off work.
littlemissmuffet 12:46 PM 02-19-2011
I've got to say I'm a little but disturbed by the whole parents have "no right to" this and that and such. First, these people TRUST you enough to look after their most precious possesions - their children - and you don't TRUST them enough to be in an "undesignated child care area" looking for you when you should have been awake and ready for work in the first place?

As a provider, my home doubles as a second home for other people's children - the children are welcome to pretty much every area of my home - this is what I signed up for when opening a daycare in my home - and likewise, their parents are welcome to and in all areas of my home as well if a cicumstance calls for it - in my opinion this is a circumstance that called for it. My family and I wouldn't even have this large beautiful home and all the nice things in it without the income that these children's parents create for me - I couldn't imagine being so hostile!!

As a parent, I'd rather be embarassed by finding a sleeping DCP than to leave and later find out my DCP was suffering a stroke or some other horrific incident that I could have helped with if that were the case for the MIA DCP.
Unregistered 01:29 PM 02-19-2011
No this mom did not try to call me on my phone at all. She terminated the next day with and refused to give her notice. I slept in once in years, I felt bad yes but my alarm was set just didn't go off...I'm sure others have slept in once in a while for work too.
nannyde 01:45 PM 02-19-2011
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I've got to say I'm a little but disturbed by the whole parents have "no right to" this and that and such. First, these people TRUST you enough to look after their most precious possesions - their children - and you don't TRUST them enough to be in an "undesignated child care area" looking for you when you should have been awake and ready for work in the first place?

As a provider, my home doubles as a second home for other people's children - the children are welcome to pretty much every area of my home - this is what I signed up for when opening a daycare in my home - and likewise, their parents are welcome to and in all areas of my home as well if a cicumstance calls for it - in my opinion this is a circumstance that called for it. My family and I wouldn't even have this large beautiful home and all the nice things in it without the income that these children's parents create for me - I couldn't imagine being so hostile!!

As a parent, I'd rather be embarassed by finding a sleeping DCP than to leave and later find out my DCP was suffering a stroke or some other horrific incident that I could have helped with if that were the case for the MIA DCP.
Wow

A parent trusts us with their most "prized possession" and that inately makes them trustworthy enough to go thru our home without permission?

Just because someone has sex, conceives a child, gives birth to a child and pays for child care services does NOT mean they are trustworthy people. More than half of our prison population are parents. That's a REDICULOUS notion.

So if you take your kid to a Pediatrician and find the lights off, doors unlocked, and no one at the front office does that give you the right to walk thru their building unattended? Afterall that Doctor takes care of your CHILD'S health. You have a RIGHT to go into their business when nobody is to be seen from the front door?

My home is my home. I don't even TRY to duplicate the child's home. I don't allow my clients unfettered access to everything and all areas of my home. I only allow the children in the areas of my business for them. Even when they are in those areas they are supervised. Nobody except my own child gets to go from room to room without supervision.

The Mom had the option to go back to her car and leave. She could have called the provider non stop or waited outside in the driveway until the provider was knowingly available. If she was fearing the providers safety she could have called 911. She had a LOT of options and she choose to go thru the providers home instead.

Yes waiting would have likely caused her to be late to work. If that was the case then the provider will either loose a client or loose a clients trust that she is dependable. That would me MUCH more realistic and appropriate than walking thru her home just because her kids were scheduled to use her services that one day.

I leave my doors locked. I don't even pretend to have an "open door policy" that would entitle a parent to walk thru my darkened house into my bedroom.
kendallina 02:00 PM 02-19-2011
I have a very open door policy and am extremely welcoming to my families. I host events at my house and they have all seen most of my house.

But, I do NOT think it's okay for a parent to walk into a provider's bedroom, knowing that she might be asleep in there. Under no circumstances is that appropriate. Over-sleeping on a daycare parent is not okay either, but this parent handled it wrong. I don't think that the parent would have been out of line to walk in the house and start calling the provider's name; or even knocking on her bedroom door...but to open her door!!! Yikes! Not appropriate in any way!
Unregistered 03:17 PM 02-19-2011

So you think it's perfectly normal and appropriate for a parent to just openly walk up your stairs and into your bedrooms looking for you? I have an open door policy myself, but I find that to be a little odd. Shame on me if I were to over sleep when dck's are due to arrive, but again, a parent has NO RIGHT to take it upon themselves and roam freely through my home.

Originally Posted by nannyde:
Wow

A parent trusts us with their most "prized possession" and that inately makes them trustworthy enough to go thru our home without permission?

Just because someone has sex, conceives a child, gives birth to a child and pays for child care services does NOT mean they are trustworthy people. More than half of our prison population are parents. That's a REDICULOUS notion.

So if you take your kid to a Pediatrician and find the lights off, doors unlocked, and no one at the front office does that give you the right to walk thru their building unattended? Afterall that Doctor takes care of your CHILD'S health. You have a RIGHT to go into their business when nobody is to be seen from the front door?

My home is my home. I don't even TRY to duplicate the child's home. I don't allow my clients unfettered access to everything and all areas of my home. I only allow the children in the areas of my business for them. Even when they are in those areas they are supervised. Nobody except my own child gets to go from room to room without supervision.

The Mom had the option to go back to her car and leave. She could have called the provider non stop or waited outside in the driveway until the provider was knowingly available. If she was fearing the providers safety she could have called 911. She had a LOT of options and she choose to go thru the providers home instead.

Yes waiting would have likely caused her to be late to work. If that was the case then the provider will either loose a client or loose a clients trust that she is dependable. That would me MUCH more realistic and appropriate than walking thru her home just because her kids were scheduled to use her services that one day.

I leave my doors locked. I don't even pretend to have an "open door policy" that would entitle a parent to walk thru my darkened house into my bedroom.

I agree with your post nannyde!!

If that was the case then the provider will either loose a client or loose a clients trust that she is dependable. That would me MUCH more realistic and appropriate than walking thru her home just because her kids were scheduled to use her services that one day.

This is EXACTLY what I would expect from my dcp's if I were to sleep in... NOT to just walk through my home.
LindaMJ 08:26 PM 02-19-2011
I slept in for the first time in years two weeks ago and was shocked at what happened. My husband had already left for work so the side door was unlocked. My daycare parents always knock and walk into my porch area for pick ups and drop offs. That morning a daycare mom came with her two and half year old son and did what she typically would do, knocked and walked into the porch area. When I did not come to the door though she proceeded to wander through my home looking for me until she found me in bed sleeping. I was just completely shocked. I felt really bad for sleeping in but I honestly do not think that this lady had a right to be wandering around my house either. I hold an open door policy when a client's child is in my care, not when I do not have the child yet. Plus my daycare is run downstairs and my upstairs is suppose to be our private home. How would you feel if one of your daycare parents did this?I, as a parent, would be concerned about YOUR well-being. I, as a provider, would welcome this "intrusion", just to be sure there wasn't some medical emergency, for instance, if I hit my head falling in the shower or walking down the stairs, or whatever.
littlemissmuffet 12:15 PM 02-20-2011
Wow

And that works for you. In my opinion, I think some of the ways you operate your daycare are unorthadox and too strict - again, your ways work for you. I trust my parents enough that no, it wouldn't bother me if they were in my home, looking for me as I slept in - our daycare family is an extension of our own family. I am sorry that you cannot have that.

Your best friend, brother, your own mother could be untrustworthy without you knowing (theives, etc) and I'm sure you wouldn't act this way towards them.
jen 03:02 PM 02-20-2011
And that works for you. In my opinion, I think some of the ways you operate your daycare are unorthadox and too strict - again, your ways work for you. I trust my parents enough that no, it wouldn't bother me if they were in my home, looking for me as I slept in - our daycare family is an extension of our own family. I am sorry that you cannot have that.

Your best friend, brother, your own mother could be untrustworthy without you knowing (theives, etc) and I'm sure you wouldn't act this way towards them.
LOL...I'd be pissed if my best friend, brother or mother came in to my house and walked in to my bedroom while I was sleeping! Everyone is entitled to a little personal privacy! Yikes!
littlemissmuffet 05:15 PM 02-20-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
LOL...I'd be pissed if my best friend, brother or mother came in to my house and walked in to my bedroom while I was sleeping! Everyone is entitled to a little personal privacy! Yikes!
I wouldn't be pissed
Sure everyone is entitled to a little personal privacy... everyone also has different personal boundries!
jen 05:20 PM 02-20-2011
I wouldn't be pissed
Sure everyone is entitled to a little personal privacy... everyone also has different personal boundries!
Absolutely, and we should all be dang sure that we know what the other persons personal boundaries are BEFORE we go walking in to someone elses bedroom.
QualiTcare 05:37 PM 02-20-2011
No this mom did not try to call me on my phone at all. She terminated the next day with and refused to give her notice. I slept in once in years, I felt bad yes but my alarm was set just didn't go off...I'm sure others have slept in once in a while for work too.
i'm sure most if not all of us have slept in for work - but most of us (or maybe not) would be thankful if someone came and woke us up and there was no consequence.

i wouldn't be surprised if the daycare mom laughed it off and your relationship continued unchanged, but by your reaction here - i can only imagine the reaction she got played a part in her terminating care.

i have to ask - would you rather your first daycare parent come in and wake you or would you rather continue sleeping and lose the day's pay for all of your children along with all of the parent's trust - and possibly all of them terminating which is equivalent to losing your job?
MamaBearSD 12:25 PM 04-05-2012
I don't know what state you are in or if you are a licensed day care. (?) I don't know about all states, though I would think the regulations would be similar, but in California, the parent has the right to inspect your home. There are no "off-limit" areas unless specifically designated in your license. If she was dropping he child off at the regular time, then I'd say technically it is a time "children are in care", and she has every right to go look for you. What did you expect her to do, leave her child unsupervised downstairs?

I think you give up a large portion of your personal privacy when you make your home your business, especially when it's mandated that parents are allowed to inspect without advance notice.
Babybear911 01:37 PM 04-05-2012
Yikes! How embarrassing! I feel for you...I don't know what I would do or say or feel after! I would be seriously unnerved they felt so free to walk upstairs to "my" living space! My daycare is situated exactly like yours. That would be my worst nightmare! LOL! My kids would probably speak up and ask why they are in our home! LOL! They are 6 and 10 years old and not afraid to let dcp and DCK know when they are stepping over the line. I have a much harder time with that! Let me know how you handle it! I might need the same advice one of these days!
Babybear911 01:44 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by MamaBearSD:
I don't know what state you are in or if you are a licensed day care. (?) I don't know about all states, though I would think the regulations would be similar, but in California, the parent has the right to inspect your home. There are no "off-limit" areas unless specifically designated in your license. If she was dropping he child off at the regular time, then I'd say technically it is a time "children are in care", and she has every right to go look for you. What did you expect her to do, leave her child unsupervised downstairs?

I think you give up a large portion of your personal privacy when you make your home your business, especially when it's mandated that parents are allowed to inspect without advance notice.
The parent wasn't inspecting... They didnt even TRY The front door or the door bell. They were snooping! Parents right my butt!

When I got licensed it states the measurements of the daycare space and it is also listed at front door where fire drills are recorded. Parents know upstairs is my family space. Certain that parent was aware that was not part of the daycare. Good luck! Maybe give notice and find another parent who respect boundaries? Yikes! Yikes! Yikes!

Ring the door bell! Knock on door! Don't just walk all over house! Seriously ignorant. And yes their is an "off-limit" area! Upstairs!! Did dcp forget how to push door bell? Did dcp forget she doesn't "own" dcp or dcp home!

Would you just walk through a friend or a family members home like that? I wouldn't! I would wait at door until they answered.
MarinaVanessa 01:57 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by MamaBearSD:
I don't know what state you are in or if you are a licensed day care. (?) I don't know about all states, though I would think the regulations would be similar, but in California, the parent has the right to inspect your home. There are no "off-limit" areas unless specifically designated in your license.
I'm in CA and the parent only has access to the DC space in your home. If you allow DC kids in your living room, kitchen, dining room etc. then yes they have access to those areas during the time that their child is in child care. They do not however have access to the areas that are not designated for child care.

In most circumstances (and certainly in mine) bedrooms are not a part of that space. My entire 2nd floor is not a part of DC therefore no parent has the permission to go up there. Why you'd want to include your own bedroom as DC space is beyond me but I'm sure some providers do it. I'm only quoting you MamaBear so that people can get a good understanding about what "open-door" policy is and trying to clarify what "designated in your license" means.

I'd like to go back to the whole center-based daycare example again. If you were to arrive to a daycare to inspect it you are well within your right to so as it pertains to DC space but how many centers do you think would allow a parent to inspect maintenence rooms, closets and administrative offices, break areas etc.? I'm pretty sure that none. Just food for thought. I'm personally still on the fence of whether or not the parent was in the right and even if this whole situation got blown way out of proportion for that matter. I'm still pondering.
mrsp'slilpeeps 02:13 PM 04-05-2012
This post is kinda old!!!
Christian Mother 02:38 PM 04-05-2012
I had to add...I didn't get to read all the posts but for me..I also have a open door policy..

Each of my parents have a key to the gated property. But not to my door. They know if I am up by the lights to the house being on. I unlock the door and there has been times that I've forgotten to unlock it as I allow the parents to just come on in. But there has been a couple times my alarm didn't go off and I hear the gate open and I am in a mad rush to get to the door...lol! Thank goodness I have pj's on..heheh! They all know though that I slept in though based on my pj's..heheh!! I haven't ever felt embarrassed though just a little sheepish..lol...opps!!

If my husband ever left a door open or unlocked I would prob. be shaken by being woken up but I would be happier it be a parent then a stranger. Most of my parents would of thought it would be funny. I only have 5 families and we have a really good relationship so I would of thought I was on "punk'd" or something..we'd have a good laught but with my personality I wouldn't be upset. And I don't think they would either. We've all had something like that happen maybe in dif. ways. But I'd be happy it was them and not someone else..kwim?
momma2girls 02:51 PM 04-05-2012
I would have been scared to death!!
I have never overslept (knock on wood) in over 8 yrs.
I hate it when daycare parents, don't knock, they just let themselves in. I have been scared many times!!I also have this written into my daycare,to please repect my home and daycare, to please knock before entering.
Unregistered 02:52 PM 04-05-2012
Wow
That's harsh. I don't think anyone was implying that the act of creating a child makes them trustworthy. I think the point is that our day care families are not strangers. We see these people almost everyday of our lives. We interact with them. We have relationships with them. AND, yes, we take care of their precious little ones. If I was no where to be found when my families came in the morning, I'd expect them to call my name and look for me! I do not think they would be thinking, "Ha! This is our chance to check out Miss Sara's bedroom!" They would probably be worried!
P.S. The word is spelled "ridiculous."
renodeb 05:20 PM 04-05-2012
Did she show up early? Why would you be sleeping if you knew a child was coming? Either way she should of called or something. That would be weird if a parent did that.
Debbie
Lucy 06:23 PM 04-05-2012
Just pointing out that this thread is 14 months old.
rhondawarren 07:47 AM 04-06-2012

I would be highly ticked off if someone came on into my house! Very strange, I would never do that to someone. That is just weird and she should have felt strange about it because the truth is ... its very strange that she helped herself in.
momma2girls 11:44 AM 04-06-2012
Originally Posted by rhondawarren:
I would be highly ticked off if someone came on into my house! Very strange, I would never do that to someone. That is just weird and she should have felt strange about it because the truth is ... its very strange that she helped herself in.
the least she could have done is rang the doorbell, or yelled out your name a bunch of times!!!
My3cents 03:17 PM 04-09-2012
Thought I would put a my cents in here.

I am going to do give you my thoughts coming from the daycare parents side. Normally you would be open and ready to go. This parent is used to the door being unlocked for her to come in. She went in. She saw that things didn't look right and she got concerned. She didn't know what she was walking into and probably thought the worst. She didn't know if someone was in your house and what she would find. Things were not normal. She didn't call out to you because she had downstairs and got no answer, then she was worried for you.

I would cut her a break. I don't think she was being nosey. I think she was concerned. Scared.

Seperate story- Thank God a women had the nerve to come into my mothers home, and let her know her grandson was roaming around at 4am outside, with no clothes on, with her keys, and took his hand and brought him in her house. She was sleeping. He woke up and decided he was going on an adventure, got into her car turned on the lights, pulled off his diaper, was playing in the sandbox at 4am. My mother was devastated. Had a chair up against the door so he could unlock it. I thank God that someone cared enough to care. The possibilities are endless of what could have happened to him. We later found out that our son was a sleepwalker and we think he was sleep walking but then awoke and being a curious boy just went about playing and trying stuff he knew no one was around to tell him no too. He was two- He was having a sleep over at Gramma's.

I do get how you feel violated and how your parent was not happy. Last time I checked we are all human and make mistakes.... things happen. Now if you were doing this on a regular basis, forget it.......you would be done. Parents are always late with one excuse or another. I see both sides of this, but you made me think of that angel that stopped and cared enough about my baby when I was not able to be there.
SunshineMama 07:04 PM 04-09-2012
I set 2 alarm clocks and my phone alarm, just incase. (I lose sleep over paranoia about waking up on time). I'm sure the mom was probably partially checking on you and partially snooping- its probably not black and white. Also, I think it's rediculous to term the next day- she was either super embarrassed or was just looking for a reason anyway. She should have rung the doorbell, knocked, called your phone, called your name out loud... Any number of things. Providers are human- heck, I could lose power to my 2 alarm clocks and phone! Anything can happen!
Tags:early arrival
Reply Up