Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare in Basement? Advice Please!
Daycare_Mama 08:33 PM 04-11-2012
Does anyone have their primary daycare space in their basement? Do you love it or not so much? I have a dilemma and would appreciate some input!

My younger brother needs to move in with us, so I have to rearrange our house. Currently, I have my playroom in a large room right off the dining room/kitchen. It's a large room (200 square feet) and has 4 big windows, so it gets great natural light in it. It makes me (us) feel not so cooped up on freezing cold winter days where we can't go outside. It's also great because I can easily keep an eye on the kids while I get meals ready. Now that my brother needs to move in with us, I basically have two options:

Option 1. Our 3.5 year old daughter gives up her bedroom to my brother and we move our daughter into our room. The rest of the house can stay exactly as I have it now. My daughter giving up her room won't be an issue for her at all. She only uses it for sleeping - she never plays in it - only really plays in the playroom and the rest of the house. We, however, don't especially love the idea of sharing our room with her. There is enough space for her to have her own bed in our room, but I still feel like we'd lose our intimacy/privacy. Is this crazy to contemplate sharing our bedroom with our almost 4 year old (when my brother moves in)?

Option 2. Current playroom goes bye-bye (to become a bedroom) and we move daycare into the finished basement. It is finished and even larger (370 square feet) and would obviously be even more daycare space then I have in our current playroom. We honestly don't spend much time down there, so it becoming the daycare space would be no problem. There are 2 things that I'm not sure of though. There are NO windows down there. It is connected to 2 bedrooms with legal egress windows, so it's legal in that regard, but the no natural light thing is bothering me. I feel like we will feel cooped up down there with no natural light that we won't even want to spend our time down there. My other concern is how would it work for pick-ups and drop-offs? I wouldn't want to be running up and down over and over, so would we just hang out upstairs for a bit during those times of day? And same thing for meals...we'd have to come upstairs for meal time as well.

So, does anyone do daycare in a basement with no windows? Or would you if it was a large space and meant you didn't have to share a room with your child? What are your thoughts on it? I'm so conflicted on what I should do! Thanks for your input!
Oneluckymom 09:20 PM 04-11-2012
I am in a similar situation as you. I have my daycare in a basement type set up however it is convenient because I have a walk out, with parent access from my drive way, and I have a refridgerator and microwave to heat up meals...lots of natural light helps.

I suggest make it easy on yourself, your already established with the wY you have it now. Im not sure how long your brother is with you but I would say just have your daughter sleep in your room....she's stll so little. You can set up her own little bed. I can't tell you how many times we have done this with our own kids. It's really not a big deal for us.
Breezy 09:35 PM 04-11-2012
No advice really except to say that my parents, sister (18) and brother (8) live in a 2 bedroom apartment. My brother shares a room with my parents and my sister has her own room. My brother has been in with them since he was younger than your DD. Its obviously not the best situation but there is no other option until my sister moves out. It is basically his room with Indian Jones posters all over the walls and lego cities all over. His toys are all in their small walk in closet.

So, it works but I am sure my parents have no intimacy or privacy which I am sure stinks for them but they manage!

Not sure if that is helpful at all. I would hate having no natural light I would go nuts!
mac60 03:43 AM 04-12-2012
Just wondering why you don't give your brother a room in the finished basement. That appears to be the easier solution, then nothing would change for you or your daughter.
melskids 04:02 AM 04-12-2012
Originally Posted by mac60:
Just wondering why you don't give your brother a room in the finished basement. That appears to be the easier solution, then nothing would change for you or your daughter.
I'd put him in the basement too. You didn't say how old your brother is, but if it was me, I would want privacy from him and for him more then anything, especially if he is an adult. kwim?
Lianne 04:03 AM 04-12-2012
I'd have your brother stay in the basement. That way your home stays 'yours' as it already is and he has his own separate space for privacy which is always appreciated. This is assuming your brother is an adult or at least an older teen.
DaisyMamma 04:12 AM 04-12-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
I'd put him in the basement too. You didn't say how old your brother is, but if it was me, I would want privacy from him and for him more then anything, especially if he is an adult. kwim?

agreed.
bunnyslippers 04:48 AM 04-12-2012
I have my daycare in the basement, and do sometimes feel cooped up. On the other hand, it really helps keep the rest of my house as my own - not as intrusive with the parents and children only being in my basement. I have a fridge and a microwave down there, so I prepare meals ahead of time and just reheat while I am down there.
godiva83 05:32 AM 04-12-2012
I think if your daycare arrangement upstairs is working and working well for you, don't change it! Don't fix what isn't broke sort of deal.

However, if you want to move into the basement I suggest getting a video/intercom doorbell so you can see who is there and your not constantly running up and down stairs. As for the lack of light that would bug me and actually go against regulations here.
Do you have lots of pot lights, or lights you can switch on?

The easiest solution from reading your post seems to be moving your bro to the basement. Depending on his age of course
busymommy0420 05:59 AM 04-12-2012
I am pretty sure you have to have natural light and vent coming into the basement for your daycare. I want to say 8% of the total square feet. I could not put my daycare in my basement because of this so we use it on a limited amount per day. No more then two hours. I have our Littlest Pet Shops set up down there and it is our home theater.
Meeko 07:18 AM 04-12-2012
Other people beat me to it, but I would have your brother in the basement too. He could have his his own space which would make him feel more like he was at home and less like a visitor who had displaced people.
wdmmom 07:28 AM 04-12-2012
How long are you anticipating your brother staying with you?

If it's only going to be throughout the summer or short term, I'd move your daughter in with you or put your brother in a basement bedroom.

If you anticipate it being long term, the room in the basement is still the most ideal answer.
AnythingsPossible 07:28 AM 04-12-2012
The basement for your brother was my first thought as well!!
Daycare_Mama 08:45 AM 04-12-2012
Thanks everyone for your response! I should have clarified...my brother having one of the basement rooms is an option, but currently 2 of my sons (8 and 11) share one of the basement bedrooms and my 3.5 year old daughter is in the other.

So either my brother takes my daughters room downstairs, daughter moves into our bedroom, and playroom upstairs stays the same. Or my brother moves into the playroom and I have to make the playroom be downstairs. Basically if I want to keep the rest of the house as it is, our daughter has to be in our room. If I want my daughter to still have her own room, I have to lose the upstairs playroom to the basement.

I don't think the basement is a licensing issue...although it doesn't have windows, down the hall there are the 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, and store room all with window. It has proper vents and tons of recessed light (so it is bright, just not naturally).

Also, my brother is 22 and will be finishing up his last semester of college (he won't be moving in until September). He will be with us at a minimum until the new year, but unless he finds a job right away, it will be longer.
cheerfuldom 08:46 AM 04-12-2012
yeah, why cant the brother move downstairs?

we have our daycare in the basement and I love it. there IS going up and down stairs though....not a biggie because my DC parents are very consistent with dropoffs and pickups. I just run a kid upstairs when I know the parent is going to be here. OR you can leave the door unlocked during pickup and the parents come downstairs themselves.
Ariana 09:26 AM 04-12-2012
Originally Posted by Daycare_Mama:
Thanks everyone for your response! I should have clarified...my brother having one of the basement rooms is an option, but currently 2 of my sons (8 and 11) share one of the basement bedrooms and my 3.5 year old daughter is in the other.

So either my brother takes my daughters room downstairs, daughter moves into our bedroom, and playroom upstairs stays the same. Or my brother moves into the playroom and I have to make the playroom be downstairs. Basically if I want to keep the rest of the house as it is, our daughter has to be in our room. If I want my daughter to still have her own room, I have to lose the upstairs playroom to the basement.

I don't think the basement is a licensing issue...although it doesn't have windows, down the hall there are the 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, and store room all with window. It has proper vents and tons of recessed light (so it is bright, just not naturally).

Also, my brother is 22 and will be finishing up his last semester of college (he won't be moving in until September). He will be with us at a minimum until the new year, but unless he finds a job right away, it will be longer.
When I lived with my aunt at 22 I slept on a pull out couch in their basement. I didn't have a room at all!! Since you're doing him a huge favor I wouldn't put myself out by rearranging everything. I personally wouldn't put the daycare in a basement without windows for both your sake and the kids. 8 hours a day without natural light is not healthy IMO. All your brother is going to do is sleep down there and he'll be at school for the most part so why not set up a bed in your basement for him?
bunnyslippers 11:19 AM 04-12-2012
I would put your brother in the room in the basement with no windows. He'll be fine - I would love a nice dark place to sleep in peace and quiet!
Sprouts 12:45 PM 04-12-2012
I am a huge fan of natural light especially during winter months, when looking for child care (and I don't mean Ipto offend any basement day cares) I really was turned off by basement ones unless they had big windows, so I am def for putting ur brother there instead!
Heidi 12:54 PM 04-12-2012
How about putting your brother in your daughter's room, and putting your daughter in the daycare room? If she pretty much plays in there all the time, can you just make that her room? If she has special toys only for her, put those in the basement playroom for her?

The bed you put in there for her could double as a cozy corner for reading, etc. Just take off her personal blankets/pillows during the day, and put a big comforter over it...
itlw8 01:08 PM 04-12-2012
You said you rarely use the basement room... so leave the kids where they are get a futon and stick it in the basement room you would put the childcare in. He can change in the bathroom. get a screen to give him privacy.

Your kids should not be put out. You are doing him a HUGE favor. He can make do. He will move out faster that way also,
Persephone 01:24 PM 04-12-2012
I agree that you shouldn't have to put yourself out to have him stay with you for a short time.

Can your boys share a room? Or I like the idea of putting your girls bed in the play room and just leave it as that.

But my pick would be to just put a pull out of some kind in the basement area where you planned on doing child care, just put up some kind of screen so he can have some privacy. If all your kid's are doing down there are sleeping anyways, it shouldn't be a problem and he'll feel like he's out of the way. Plus this way if he's home during the day the daycare kids won't be bothering him.
Daycare_Mama 02:11 PM 04-12-2012
These are all great ideas. The only thing is that I don't mind offering him an actual bedroom - he will be helping out by paying some rent and being my assistant on the days he doesn't have class. I would prefer he has his own bedroom.

I did think about making some sort of divider in the basement (it is L shaped anyways, so could work)...BUT it would definitely be against fire code to have someone sleeping there and when licensing comes out and sees a makeshift bedroom in a basement with no legal windows, there's no way that would fly. So I just don't think that's an option.

I do like the idea of having her sleep in the playroom. That could actually work ... I just would worry about her getting possessive of her bed in there..hmmmm
Abigail 03:51 PM 04-12-2012
So you have a 3.5 year old daughter and two older boys all with basement bedrooms. Do they all have separate rooms or do your boys share a room?

Either way, keep everyone in a bedroom and keep your daycare upstairs. It will be such a hassle and headache to go up down up down up down. My entire basement (bi-level home, half above ground with tons of windows) is exclusively used for daycare. One bedroom is a kitchen room with a mini fridge and microwave but i need to bring down all the food for the day and bring it back up. Parents all have their separate entrance. I was not okay with parents coming in and walking up/down steps to get to our daycare. I have cats in the house and don't want parents letting them out. You'll be SO DEPRESSED if you move your main daycare room downstairs. If you don't believe me just try it and find out after two weeks it's horrible and move it all again! LOL
Sprouts 08:06 AM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by Daycare_Mama:
These are all great ideas. The only thing is that I don't mind offering him an actual bedroom - he will be helping out by paying some rent and being my assistant on the days he doesn't have class. I would prefer he has his own bedroom.

I did think about making some sort of divider in the basement (it is L shaped anyways, so could work)...BUT it would definitely be against fire code to have someone sleeping there and when licensing comes out and sees a makeshift bedroom in a basement with no legal windows, there's no way that would fly. So I just don't think that's an option.

I do like the idea of having her sleep in the playroom. That could actually work ... I just would worry about her getting possessive of her bed in there..hmmmm
Wouldn't licensing be more against having the daycare kids there instead? Can they tell you where family members sleep? If its not legally used for daycare then why would licensing be involved?
SimpleMom 03:08 PM 04-15-2012
I used to have my dc upstairs then we finished the basement. It's completely for DC. Love the look and feel of it. BUT I do miss the abundance of light upstairs (we have a TON of windows in my living room. It's really a hassle to get food up/down and the kids as well...esp. if they are really little. It does feel cooped up at times. I actually use both the basement and the upstairs now. We start out upstairs and have breakfast, get the SA's off to school. Then, we go downstairs and play/have activities and lessons, snack. THen, we move upstairs to go outdoors and come in for lunch. (I used to prep it all the night before, but that got to be too much. I needed to be done with DC after hours ended). and then we move down stairs for naps and pm snack. Back upstairs for outdoors and pick up.

Maybe have main play area downstairs, give your brother the playroom upstairs while he lives with you and use both up and down stairs?
Tags:basement, daycare - space
Reply Up