Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Sippy Cups
bridge188 04:19 PM 12-30-2010
Has anyone heard of daycares (that have the children bring their own snacks and drinks) saying that sippy cups aren't allowed due to a law? I've tried looking into the state laws for Virginia as well as state requirements for daycares and found nothing. I would love to know if anyone has any ideas of where I can look or anything. Thanks!
Michael 02:36 AM 12-31-2010
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum. Hopefully someone will have an answer for you before the year is out
nannyde 03:42 AM 12-31-2010
I don't know about laws but I don't allow sippy cups from home. If the child brings one in I just transfer the contents into one of my cups and when it's time to have liquids we offer it to the child.

It's too much work to manage eight different cups every day and return them to the parents with all the parts. I can imagine it's way too much work for a center.

I don't allow kids to walk around with drinks. We offer drinks at meals and snacks and water in between with our own cups. Usually when kids have specific cups they want it is because of them wanting either sweet liquid that's in them or they want to suck and chew on the cup nozzle.

Whatever cup equipment and cup rules they have at the Center is there for a reason. It's the easiest, cheapest, or best to clean cup. Putting staff time into managing each child's preference of cups would be expensive and would cause conflict amoung the other kids.

Keeping it simple and easiest for the adults is what works best for group care.
Cat Herder 05:05 AM 12-31-2010
Nannyde is right, I can't/won't allow cups from home either.

It is horrible and disruptive since the kids target each other for the "cool" cup. It triggers more fights than toys from home since the "reward" is instant if a child manages to get the other child into submission. The center is trying to protect your child, they see these patterns all day long.

I was also thinking they may be referring to cleansing/sanitation rules and regs. If they cannot guarantee the proper cleansing classroom teachers may view it as "illegal" to take them in. YKWIM?
Xylifrost 08:56 PM 01-06-2011
R tries to drink form it but doesnt get much out I got him a couple of different cups with different teeth iykwim to see whcih works ofr him. L didnt take fully to a sippy cup until she was 13/14 months.
jen 01:56 PM 01-07-2011
I'm a little confused...you have to bring your own drinks, but you cannot bring sippy cups?
lvt77 02:10 PM 01-07-2011
i ask parents to bring 3 cups from home that there child is comfortable and used to using..They are to be left at daycare. I am responsible for cleaning them when used. I do not think there is a law. I am on the federal food program and particiapted in an audit with them. they knew I used sippy cups and said nothing......
Unregistered 06:25 AM 01-08-2011
I have never heard of such a law and think it is probably something made up by the dc itself. Our dc is large and we have lots of children who bring in their own sippy cups. As long as they put their name on them, I find them easier with less chance for accidents.
misol 06:39 AM 01-10-2011
I just checked the regs for VA and can't find anything in there prohibiting sippy cups. Any items brought from home just have to be labeled is all. It's probably just the daycare's own rule. If you are intent on bringing your own sippy cup, just ask the director to point you to where you can find the exact law that they are referencing.
lvt77 09:54 AM 01-10-2011
One thing that I would take into consideration is that sippy cups with plugs are very hard to clean and often catch mold in the parts that you can not get brushes into. However, there are sippy cups on the market that are spill proof and do not have plugs in them. I like these way more as there are no small parts that can get mold in them.

I was talking to my lawyer this am and he said that he NO state has such a law about sippy cups....Its preference..... and that if it is that daycare policy and you signed it, then you either have to abide by the policy or find a different daycare...

sorry for all the typos....
Unregistered 09:48 AM 02-17-2011
Never heard of such a law!
Debbie
DCMomOf3 11:10 AM 02-17-2011
I have read the standards for licensed family day homes in Virginia and no where does it mention any restrictions to cup type. Only that disposable cups can only be used once.
Hunni Bee 05:02 PM 02-18-2011
well...its kind of roundabout. We cannot allow children to bring in their own food/drink unless they are a on a temporary special diet and we have written orders from the doctor. Sippy cups usually come with something in them, so that counts as outside food. No one else but children in the infant room use sippy cups, so no one else needs to bring an empty sippy cup...So we dont allow them.

Plus a child walking around nursing a 10 - 12 ounce sippy cup full of milk or juice for hours has its own problems...spreads germs (if someone else drinks from it), tooth decay, wetting accidents, spills, I could go on...

The only exception is the Infant Room...since they do bring in their own food, bottles, etc.

Edit: And we are in VA too, but we're a center.
Tags:new member, sippy cup
Reply Up