Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Enroll Your Child In My Daycare?
Unregistered 09:18 AM 04-18-2013
Hi, I am new and I have a very unique family situation that has been tabu in the past but is now gaining acceptance..

I am a sister wife and I have been wanting to open up a family daycare.
I have a lot of love to give, I want to do preschool activities with the children, and I love to take walks and sing to them.

Do you think I should tell the parents the truth of my family?
Would you enroll your child in my care?
What advice can you give?

I wish my marriage was legal so I didn't have to worry about this.
Thanks in advance.
blandino 09:23 AM 04-18-2013
Would I personally, yes. I have no problem with plural marriage. However, I think others might. I think that being discreet, not lying or hiding, but just not saying anything might be the way to go. I wish it wasn't an issue for some people, but I think it may be.

But then again, parents might be upset if they feel you didn't disclose your marital status from them on purpose. If they think it is something that could negatively impact their children.
daycarediva 09:28 AM 04-18-2013
No. It isn't a subject I would feel comfortable broaching with my young child, or the type of home life I would want him to see, since we believe in monogomy.
bunnyslippers 09:34 AM 04-18-2013
I would be honest with potential clients. It is your lifestyle, and if you are comfrotable enough to live it you should be comfortable enough to be honest about it.
Unregistered 09:45 AM 04-18-2013
Regular member logged out for privacy.

Honestly, no.

I believe that if parents and providers have drastically conflicting views on topics that the child will be exposed to while in the daycare provider's care, then it is inappropriate for the child to be enrolled with that daycare provider. Parents and providers can disagree on a number of things--like politics, for example, as long as the child is not inappropriately exposed to the provider's views. So let's say the parents are Democrats and the provider is a Republican... That's fine! It would be wrong, however, if the provider's political views impacted the child's care... and that, as a result, the parents didn't believe they could raise their child with their belief system because the child was getting so much opposing information from the daycare provider.

Your home situation would be so different from mine, and from how I plan to raise my children, that I could not send my child to your daycare and still raise him/her the way I intend.
nannyde 09:50 AM 04-18-2013
Absolutely

As long as there is no minor marriage going on.. I could care less about your marriage.
jokalima 09:56 AM 04-18-2013
No,I would not send my child to your day care. I respect your life and what you want to do with it but it would be a conflict for me to send my child to you and at the same time try to guide him and teach him with my moral values.
sharlan 09:55 AM 04-18-2013
Personally, I don't see the issue with it. As a parent, I care how you take care of my child. I don't care what does or doesnot go on in your bedroom after hours. I would be more concerned about the amount of alcohol you consume after hours and how your hangover would affect my child.

Providers have live in boyfriends/fiances/SO. Providers are divorced and the children go back and forth between parents. What's the difference?

Daycare families have gay parents, divorced parents, live in SO's. Do we feel that it's our busiiness how they live their lives? For the most part, no.
jokalima 09:58 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Personally, I don't see the issue with it. As a parent, I care how you take care of my child. I don't care what does or doesnot go on in your bedroom after hours. I would be more concerned about the amount of alcohol you consume after hours and how your hangover would affect my child.

Providers have live in boyfriends/fiances/SO. Providers are divorced and the children go back and forth between parents. What's the difference?

Daycare families have gay parents, divorced parents, live in SO's. Do we feel that it's our busiiness how they live their lives? For the most part, no.
In my case I would not send my child to a HDC with any of this situations, not even a live in boyfriend because again, it would result in a great conflict with what I try to teach my child.
Greenplasticwateringcans 09:35 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi, I am new and I have a very unique family situation that has been tabu in the past but is now gaining acceptance..

I am a sister wife and I have been wanting to open up a family daycare.
I have a lot of love to give, I want to do preschool activities with the children, and I love to take walks and sing to them.

Do you think I should tell the parents the truth of my family?
Would you enroll your child in my care?
What advice can you give?

I wish my marriage was legal so I didn't have to worry about this.
Thanks in advance.
Yes I think you should tell prospective parents the truth.

No I would not enroll my children with you. Not because I don't agree with your choice though. It's more that plural marriage is most of the time seen in a negative light and I wouldn't feel safe leaving my children because of potential harrassing behaviours against you.
My3cents 10:35 AM 04-18-2013
I don't know.....

I tend to judge people on if they are decent, kind humans.

I honestly don't have an answer to this one...... and it would be out of not knowing anyone with this situation and having any experience other then watching the Lifetime Network-

I don't know out of ignorance on my part for this subject, I just have no experience with this lifestyle.

Now what do I think of getting myself a side honey......hell yeah! (Kidding) one is enough.....lol
Closed Thread Up