Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking on More Kids...Weighing the Pros and Cons
originalkat 09:22 AM 04-09-2010
I currently have 4 full time kids enrolled in my program. Four is working out really well but, sometimes I wonder if I should take on more kids for some extra cashflow. I think I could have like 2-3 more kids. That would be an extra $1000 to $1500 per month income. I am a little afraid that many more children could cause the "flow" of everything to be disrupted. But at the same time, I am here anyway doing this all day long so why not bring in more money while I am at it? Have any of you struggled with this?
jen 09:45 AM 04-09-2010
I have between 8 and 10 during the day. I've found that as long as you have some sort of schedule it works out about the same regardless of how many there are...

Except when it comes to getting them dressed to go outside in the winter! LOL!
originalkat 09:54 AM 04-09-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
I have between 8 and 10 during the day. I've found that as long as you have some sort of schedule it works out about the same regardless of how many there are...

Except when it comes to getting them dressed to go outside in the winter! LOL!
Are they all full time? And do you mind me asking how much you charge? Do you have a dedicated daycare space or are they all over the house?
Thanks
Unregistered 10:23 AM 04-09-2010
I think it depends on the age of all the kids and also on each individual child! You can add one child which can change the whole environment and then you could add 5 more and all seems smooth sailing!! If you are thinking about adding more children I would do an interview with the parents and also have the children come during daycare hours and see how the environment works and after a few times you will be able to see if they would be a good fit! You need to look at the kids you have and think about that and what child would fit in well with the rest of the group before you add more!! That is what helps me! : )
jen 10:38 AM 04-09-2010
Yep, I only take full time clients. I do not have a dedicated space for daycare, but our lower level family room is quite large and is more daycare than family room! :-) They do NOT go upstairs except to eat lunch.

My rates are a bit all over the place. I have one family with three kids, 1 schoolager, a preschooler and an infant...I charge them $115/child.

For everyone else the rate is $140 per week.
momma2girls 10:42 AM 04-09-2010
Yep, I only take full time clients. I do not have a dedicated space for daycare, but our lower level family room is quite large and is more daycare than family room! :-) They do NOT go upstairs except to eat lunch.

My rates are a bit all over the place. I have one family with three kids, 1 schoolager, a preschooler and an infant...I charge them $115/child.

For everyone else the rate is $140 per week.
Jen- Can I ask where you live? I am in Iowa, I charge $140.00 til potty trained, then $130.00. I do give sibling discounts as of now, but I don't know if I am going to keep this or not- I give a $20.00 a week discount if siblings. I do all my daycare downstairs, except for activities, snacks, and dinner. I love it!
boysx5 10:52 AM 04-09-2010
I will be up to five full timers come the end of JUne and I'm looking forward to the extra money after two years of building my business it will be nice. I also have a sibling coming for the summer as well. It will be crazy til I get use to it but having five of my own boys I'm crazy already
jen 10:59 AM 04-09-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
Jen- Can I ask where you live? I am in Iowa, I charge $140.00 til potty trained, then $130.00. I do give sibling discounts as of now, but I don't know if I am going to keep this or not- I give a $20.00 a week discount if siblings. I do all my daycare downstairs, except for activities, snacks, and dinner. I love it!
I live in Minnesota! About 40 miles northwest of Minneapolis.

I'm seriously thinking of doing away with the sibling discount as well. It would be an easier decision if the phone was ringing a bit more...
momma2girls 12:12 PM 04-09-2010
I live in Minnesota! About 40 miles northwest of Minneapolis.

I'm seriously thinking of doing away with the sibling discount as well. It would be an easier decision if the phone was ringing a bit more...
We just went to Minneapolis last weekend for our Spring Break!!
jen 12:45 PM 04-09-2010
We just went to Minneapolis last weekend for our Spring Break!!
Did ya' have fun?! What did you do while you were here?
momma2girls 01:18 PM 04-09-2010
Did ya' have fun?! What did you do while you were here?
We went to the Mall, Ikea and we stayed 2 nights at the Radisson across from the Mall Of America with the large indoor waterpark. It was alot of fun!!
SunflowerMama 09:09 AM 04-11-2010
I've been thinking the same thing and have decided to bring on 2 more (one full-time and one part-time) and see how it goes.

I was sticking with 6 total kids (4 dck and my 2) but now moved up to 8 and I'm going to see how it goes.

I did have to let a 9 month old go because it was her first time away from mom and dad and would just scream all day long if I wasn't holding her and it was very disruptive to the rest of the group. So the idea of bringing on more kids didn't even enter my mind b/c it was so tough with her but now it feels so much more manageable.

I now have only walkers and it's working much better. 4 between 14 months and 2 years and then 4 3 year olds. So the dynamic of the group is working out very well.

So like pp said I think it just depends on the child you are adding and the flow of your day.
jen 11:42 AM 04-11-2010
We went to the Mall, Ikea and we stayed 2 nights at the Radisson across from the Mall Of America with the large indoor waterpark. It was alot of fun!!
My kids love Mall of America and especially the water park! Glad you had fun!!!
originalkat 08:37 AM 04-12-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
I've been thinking the same thing and have decided to bring on 2 more (one full-time and one part-time) and see how it goes.

I was sticking with 6 total kids (4 dck and my 2) but now moved up to 8 and I'm going to see how it goes.

I did have to let a 9 month old go because it was her first time away from mom and dad and would just scream all day long if I wasn't holding her and it was very disruptive to the rest of the group. So the idea of bringing on more kids didn't even enter my mind b/c it was so tough with her but now it feels so much more manageable.

I now have only walkers and it's working much better. 4 between 14 months and 2 years and then 4 3 year olds. So the dynamic of the group is working out very well.

So like pp said I think it just depends on the child you are adding and the flow of your day.
This is exactly what I am considering. I have my two girls and then 4 dck. They are all 2 and up so that is good. I have thought about taking 2 more to make my total 8 instead of 6. I think it would work our okay but I will probably wait until the fall before making a decision.
MarinaVanessa 10:30 AM 04-12-2010
A good way to see how it would work for you is to advertise and take in one child at a time. Keep the new child for a few weeks and see how it works out for you and if you like it then you can take another and so on. This way you can try it out first and you can judge it for yourself and see what you feel most comfortable with. If it doesn't work out within the first two-weeks trial period you could always term.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:43 AM 04-12-2010
I agree with Marinavanessa,.. try one more,.. then add if you feel it would work. I am right now at my capacity and wow,.. its going to be long days for me. lol
My4SunshineGirlsNY 11:31 AM 04-12-2010
Last year I was running full..I felt forced to as my husband lost his job and I had to take up the slack somehow. It was always busy and I felt worn out. Since Feb. I have ran with 2 school age girls and 2 full time younger ones. It has been so much easier and less stressful.

I am happy with the income right now...I have been thinking how nice it would be to have this and that, as summer is coming, I have a few things I would like to buy and if I took in more kids I could have them sooner, BUT when I think how crazy my year was last year, I steer away from it.

I have 4 of my own girls..so that makes it harder for me and that is why I decided to keep my numbers down and not run full...it is stressful on them and defeats my purpose of staying home with them.

Good luck!
originalkat 02:50 PM 04-12-2010
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
Last year I was running full..I felt forced to as my husband lost his job and I had to take up the slack somehow. It was always busy and I felt worn out. Since Feb. I have ran with 2 school age girls and 2 full time younger ones. It has been so much easier and less stressful.

I am happy with the income right now...I have been thinking how nice it would be to have this and that, as summer is coming, I have a few things I would like to buy and if I took in more kids I could have them sooner, BUT when I think how crazy my year was last year, I steer away from it.

I have 4 of my own girls..so that makes it harder for me and that is why I decided to keep my numbers down and not run full...it is stressful on them and defeats my purpose of staying home with them.

Good luck!
Good point. My main purpose is to be there for my girls. I would hate to take on too many and they would take the brunt of the lack of attention.
Tags:ikea, income, mall of america, minneapolis, ratio
Reply Up