Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Raising Rates Or Child Brings Their Lunch!
MaritimeMummy 10:26 AM 07-20-2012
So when I started my home day care last September I set my rates to be $25 a day for full time and $30 a day part time. Never actually having anyone needing me full time, I always just never really gave this any thought. Now, since April, I have had a full time child. Paying the $25 a day. I have begun to think about it and budget, and $25 a day just isn't working out. I give good, cooked meals and snacks. I'm a registered home day care with the department of community services. I give receipts. my one full time child at $25 a day is here longer hours for more days of the week and eats more in one sitting than any of the other kids. I'm losing money on her! I want so badly to approach her parents about it and either give them the option of bringing her lunch from now on or t increase the full time rate to 27.50. Would either of these be unreasonable? And how much notice would you give? I have heard of some care providers giving notice in October for rate increases in January. Is that standard?
Oneluckymom 10:52 AM 07-20-2012
I don't think it is unresonable at all to raise tour rates to cover the cost. But Do you have a food program in your area to reimburse you for the meals you serve?
DaisyMamma 10:58 AM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
I don't think it is unresonable at all to raise tour rates to cover the cost. But Do you have a food program in your area to reimburse you for the meals you serve?
I'm on a food program, it makes a huge difference!
If it were me I would raise the rate and just give them plenty of notice. Its a lot easier to feed all the kids the same meal.
renodeb 11:03 AM 07-20-2012
I give a months notice for rate increases. Never got a complaint. I charge 35 a day so that is a very reasonable raise. Good luck.
Debbie
Sugar Magnolia 12:06 PM 07-20-2012
You should raise your rates AND have parents bring lunch. I charge $185 per week and parents provide lunch or can have catered lunch delivered for $4 per day @ their expense.
Crazy8 12:34 PM 07-20-2012
I would just give 30-60 days notice of a rate increase. Do not even go into details about WHY you need to raise the rates on this child. You do not need to justify it to them. Keep it simple!
MaritimeMummy 12:46 PM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
At the risk of sounding stupid, what is a food program? I am assuming not since my home day care agency has never mentioned anything about this.
Kiki 12:56 PM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by KHiltz:
At the risk of sounding stupid, what is a food program? I am assuming not since my home day care agency has never mentioned anything about this.
What state are you in? Food programs reimburse you for the cost of your food. Not the exact cost, but if you give me your state, I can get you some info about food programs in your area.
Blackcat31 12:58 PM 07-20-2012
The food program is a federally funded program (U.S) that helps pay for a portion of the costs providers incur while providing healthy nutritious meals and snacks to their enrolled daycare children.

I do not think Canada offers any type of program
Kiki 01:10 PM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The food program is a federally funded program (U.S) that helps pay for a portion of the costs providers incur while providing healthy nutritious meals and snacks to their enrolled daycare children.

I do not think Canada offers any type of program
Didn't realize she was in Canada. So ..just kidding?

I just did a rate increase, it will go into place in August, and I gave notice in June. I think 30-60 days is fine; and you don't really have to go into detail about why you are raising rates, just state that you are. Or you can give a generic 'To match the current costs of all items pertaining to my day care, included but not limited to, food, programming, and toys, effective XX of September, the current rate of $25.00 per day will be increased to $27.50 per day. I thank you for your business and continued support through this rate increase blah blah blah, so on.' you get the idea!
MaritimeMummy 02:21 PM 07-20-2012
I actually *AM* in Canada...does it say it on my profile somewhere? Cause I totally didn't list it, or I didn't think I did, LOL.

Anyway that's too bad. I know I can save all my receipts and claim it on my income tax, but jeez. I'm also so nervous asking for rate increase since I really haven't ever done it before. This is my only full time spot so it's pretty much the bulk of my income, and if she leaves because I increased my rates too high, I'm screwed. I am pretty rural and despite everything I offer, that is what ends up driving people away. So I consider myself lucky to have her full time. I just don't want to mess with it, so I'm half inclined to just bite my tongue and just deal with it.
Blackcat31 02:39 PM 07-20-2012
I actually *AM* in Canada...does it say it on my profile somewhere? Cause I totally didn't list it, or I didn't think I did, LOL.
No, you didn't list it anywhere but as a moderator, I can see your IP address.

I tried to answer/post without giving away your actual location
Reply Up