Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Check Out This Website About The Silliness Of Being Over-Protective
Lucy 08:47 PM 11-19-2011
Just discovered this website called Free-Range Kids. It's all about the trend of over protective-ness with kids. The most current article right now talks about a school that banned any type of balls other than nerf style because someone might get a concussion. LOL. If nothing else, it's a fun read.

http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/
Oneluckymom 09:38 PM 11-19-2011
I believe a lot of these " overly cautious" things have come about do the law suit driven societies we now live in. Everybody wants to protect themselves in any way possible.
Lucy 10:08 PM 11-19-2011
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
I believe a lot of these " overly cautious" things have come about do the law suit driven societies we now live in. Everybody wants to protect themselves in any way possible.
Yes, I believe you are exactly right. I've heard it called "CYA", or "cover your a s s".
Meyou 04:53 AM 11-20-2011
The lady that writes this blog is the one from the other thread about letting your 9 year old on the subway. She's awesome.
Kaddidle Care 06:02 AM 11-20-2011
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
I gree with this one, it'a sue happy world. Not a huge fan of this woman but there are always exceptions.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Pa...317/story.html

""They have been trying very hard for a long time to get kids to stop throwing balls so hard and it wasn't working, so (the principal) just had to ramp up the policy," Cary-Meagher said."

How about detention for the ones not following the rules? Instead, it's easier to pull the plug on everyone. The baddies spoiled it but instead of saying it's because the children aren't following the rules or listening to the teachers, they are stating "safety" is the reason. Sometimes you need to read between the lines.
countrymom 06:16 AM 11-20-2011
I'm a free range mom, acually most of my daycare moms are free range, maybe because we live in the county. I'm finding that kids just can't be kids anymore, they are now trained to be adults, no wonder mental illness is on the rise.
KEG123 06:45 AM 11-20-2011
I think a lot of the "over-protectiveness" comes from wanting to protect our kids from all the wackadoos we hear about on the news nearly every day...
Blackcat31 07:14 AM 11-20-2011
I do agree that we have become a sue happy nation and I think it shows in our child care businesses as well.

Many of us have said on this forum that we do not allow certain things (even if regs do) because it is too much of a liability for us. Whether it be toys from home, meds, car seats, etc etc.

It is sad that we have to protect ourselves just in case....
Tags:over protective
Reply Up