Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCB Goes Only At Nap...
Shell 11:47 AM 09-19-2014
I don't know if there is an answer to this, but thought I would ask on the off chance that someone would know: dcb age 3, has asd and parents are not potty training. Anyway, he goes every.single.day at nap, and I think he can't nap because he has to go, then goes and after I change him, he thinks it's play time. Dcm let it slip that she gives miralax and fiber drinks in his juice that he drinks here. I have tried just giving him water- no juice from home, but it's always the same. Oh, and he packs his own lunch because he has sensory issues, and public preschool is slowly introducing new foods (it's all snack stuff for now). I think he could actually nap if it wasn't for this pooping issue.
Unregistered 12:05 PM 09-19-2014
I don't want to be one of "those" people on here, but I have to say something. I have a son with Autism who was EIGHT before he finally got potty trained and it wasn't for a lack of trying. He also had/has sensory issues, including food. He lived on arrowroot, nutrigrain and milk - only from a bottle though because the taste of milk from a cup made him sick, for years. We did food therapy in the hospital and nothing worked. Like I said, I don't want to be rude, but all children with Autism are on a spectrum and can not be compared that way to each other. Currently I have two typical children who always poop during nap, so it's not just an Autism thing. Autistic parents, like all parents (usually) do the best they can and raising an Autistic child is way harder than raising a typical one. Nobody should judge any parent. We are all doing the best we can, with what we have and what we know. Sorry for the rant.
Second Home 12:14 PM 09-19-2014
Dcm let it slip that she gives miralax and fiber drinks in his juice that he drinks here.

This would be an issue for me . Why is she giving him this and had not told you ? The dcm sneaking it into his drinks without your knowledge is a big liability for you .
Shell 12:48 PM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I don't want to be one of "those" people on here, but I have to say something. I have a son with Autism who was EIGHT before he finally got potty trained and it wasn't for a lack of trying. He also had/has sensory issues, including food. He lived on arrowroot, nutrigrain and milk - only from a bottle though because the taste of milk from a cup made him sick, for years. We did food therapy in the hospital and nothing worked. Like I said, I don't want to be rude, but all children with Autism are on a spectrum and can not be compared that way to each other. Currently I have two typical children who always poop during nap, so it's not just an Autism thing. Autistic parents, like all parents (usually) do the best they can and raising an Autistic child is way harder than raising a typical one. Nobody should judge any parent. We are all doing the best we can, with what we have and what we know. Sorry for the rant.
Oh, I didn't mean to offend, just trying to type out all the info as fast as I could. I have a dcm that works with kids of all ages and ranges of the spectrum with autism, and she told me it could be done (he's very, very high functioning). I also worked in a public preschool with several kids diagnosed as high functioning and they all trained fairly easily with a reward system. Not saying it's the same with all kids with autism, just due to him being very high functioning. The stuff about the diet was just to give an idea tha he's not eating too much fruit or anything that would cause loose bm's. I am totally ok if it is going to take longer to potty train, just wondering if there's a reason only at nap- maybe digestion after the snacks or the juice? I never mean to offend, so I apologize if it comes off as a sweeping generalization.
Shell 12:50 PM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:
Dcm let it slip that she gives miralax and fiber drinks in his juice that he drinks here.

This would be an issue for me . Why is she giving him this and had not told you ? The dcm sneaking it into his drinks without your knowledge is a big liability for you .
Yes, this really bothered me. I am trying to be sensitive to this because I know it's so hard to get him to go since he doesn't eat all that healthy. One day (a total fluke), he was able to nap!
daycare 12:59 PM 09-19-2014
I don't allow any food or drinks from home at all...Perhaps you should adapt a policy like that so that you don't have to deal with parents doing things like slipping "stuff" in their cups.

Sorry you are having this issue. It sounds really frustrating. I wish I had some other advise for you, but I don't.

I hope that someone can help you.
Reply Up