Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do you ever feel like starting over?
GabsKids 05:51 AM 09-18-2014
This is my eighth year of doing DC. I am not sure if this forum existed then, but if it did, I wish I would have found it!
I feel as though if I would have been a provider with a backbone and more like Nannyde I would not feel as burnt out as I currently do. My fear was always if I didn't give in to all of my parents requests that I would lose them. Same with enrollment. When they were a "no show" for an interview or said they couldn't be here by my closing time, I would give in and enroll them anyway. Only to pretty much get burned and lose them eventually anyway.

This is my last year, so I am pretty much going through the motions because I don't want to lose my current kids. I still LOVE my kiddos..and I will miss them very much. But if I could start over and ENFORCE my handbook and contracts I almost want to keep doing it. Maybe it's more of a "if I knew then what I know now" kind of thing.
Shell 05:57 AM 09-18-2014
Yes, I know how you feel. Fortunately, I found this forum towards the beginning of my four years doing this. But, there are times when I give in to a ridiculous request, even when I can hear the advice from here tellingn me otherwise. I think a lot of us are afraid of losing clients because there is no guarantee that a replacement can be found. This forum is so great though- bouncing ideas off of others and getting insight are so wonderful.
Blackcat31 05:57 AM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by GabsKids:
This is my eighth year of doing DC. I am not sure if this forum existed then, but if it did, I wish I would have found it!
I feel as though if I would have been a provider with a backbone and more like Nannyde I would not feel as burnt out as I currently do. My fear was always if I didn't give in to all of my parents requests that I would lose them. Same with enrollment. When they were a "no show" for an interview or said they couldn't be here by my closing time, I would give in and enroll them anyway. Only to pretty much get burned and lose them eventually anyway.

This is my last year, so I am pretty much going through the motions because I don't want to lose my current kids. I still LOVE my kiddos..and I will miss them very much. But if I could start over and ENFORCE my handbook and contracts I almost want to keep doing it. Maybe it's more of a "if I knew then what I know now" kind of thing.
Why don't you then?

Why not overhaul your business and begin again? I've heard of lots of providers do this.....and successfully too!

I think like marriage, daycare as a career has it's highs and lows and we have to work at keeping it fun and exciting for ourselves. The kids are easy....it's the provider that is often most forgotten when planning and implementing and type of changes.

If you have no issues finding clients and truly love this profession, then change things up and "find your smile again".

Which is a great book about this very topic by the way!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BE65JF0?btkr=1
Laurel 06:22 AM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by GabsKids:

I'm wondering also why you just don't start over. If you feel you need an explanation to parents you can say that you have to change your policies and enforce them because you realized the old way wasn't working. Then go for it and do it.

Laurel
Controlled Chaos 08:04 AM 09-18-2014
Yep. I made all the rookie mistakes, was burned out and looking for a job in a center just 2 months ago. But I have decided to start over. Phase 1 New handbook went well. And last night we accepted the counter bid on a new house for us, with a nice big downstairs to run the daycare out of. Cheers to second chances.
Sunchimes 10:13 AM 09-18-2014
You can do it. I opened not knowing we had any power. I thought we worked for them, and if we ever said no, we could lose them. After a year, one parent had changed jobs and I was working 6 days a week. Some days, I had a child in my house 20 hours a day. I was worn out and burned out. I had figured out that you could have rules, nut kids are so hard to find that I was afraid to try. I compounded the problems by getting way too attached to the kids. I love them now, but I'll never again love them enough to sacrifice my sanity.

I drew up a contract with a closing time, made them pay for spaces instead of hours used, etc. I had 3 families. Not one grumble was heard and no one left. They scrambled to make the new times fit them.

That was 3 years ago. I still have my very first family. The second family left when mom had a difficult pregnancy and decided to be a SAHM. She actually called me this summer to see if I had an opening. I termed the 3rd to make room for a sibling (probably not a choice I would make again). We stayed friends and I often kept the child as a drop-in. I almost got her new baby last spring, but her schedule didn't fit ours.

So, it can work, but it takes courage. I'm much happier now.
GabsKids 12:42 PM 09-18-2014
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. It is good to know that I am not the only one who feels/felt this way. And that others have done it and it worked! I think I am going to try my plan B, for a year, and if it doesn't succeed, I still feel as I have hope with daycare. I think I just need a break.
Reply Up