Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When to recruit families
daycaremaine 11:11 AM 09-18-2014
I'm in the process of buying a house with an in-law. I will be living in the in-law and using the house as the daycare. I have yet to close on the house as I'm waiting to find out about lead paint. When should I start advertising my daycare?
daycaremaine 11:13 AM 09-18-2014
Also, when should I start looking for an assistant. I plan on hiring one other person to help with age groups.

How many dcks do you guys have?
melilley 11:19 AM 09-18-2014
I didn't advertise until I had my dc room set up. Parents will want to come for an interview and will want to see what your set up is like.

I am only licensed for a total of 6 kids. Only 4 can be under 30 mo. and 2 under 18 mo. I have 4-6 kids, depending on who is scheduled.

As for an assistant, I would advise that you wait until you get kids in or advertise that you are looking for one, but that their start date depends on when you enroll enough kids.

Also, if you have to be licensed in your state, I would make sure it is ok to use an in-law suite. Here, you have to reside in the home that you are doing dc in and I'm not 100% sure they would let us use a separate dwelling. It's better to be safe than sorry!
daycaremaine 11:22 AM 09-18-2014
Thanks, I'll definitely keep all of that in mind!
melilley 11:26 AM 09-18-2014
Good luck, and welcome!
DaveA 11:56 AM 09-18-2014
I wouldn't advertise till I had the room set up and an pretty good idea of when you would be opening. Especially if you haven't officially closed on the house yet.
Thriftylady 11:59 AM 09-18-2014
I would get set up before I advertised. However, as soon as I made sure I could do the separate living thing and closed on the house and started moving in, I would start letting friends and family know that I was going to be starting. That way word of mouth can start passing.
Reply Up