Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How or When to Contact My Teacher Family
momofboys 10:23 AM 06-16-2010
Things did not end well with my teacher family. At least not for me. They were REALLY late several days the last week or two of care. Other things bothered me too. Too many to complain about now. I am caring for another family part-time this summer. They will need care during the school year too & I am LOVING this family (boy is the same age as my toddler & the girl is 5 1/2 & will be in school in the fall). They pay on time, pick up early, my home is calmer (the other kids were much wilder, high maintenance, whiny DCD). More & more I am thinking of telling my temporary family I would be interested in watching the kids in the fall. How do I let teacher mom know if this is the case? She is not paying me to hold a spot & honestly I can't imagine another year of watching her family, even with harsher rules/policies. I probably need to let her know by July I'd imagine, right? She hasn't even said 100% that she wants to use me in the fall so maybe she too is shopping around although in late April she said they still wanted toc ome here but nothing definite was said.
emosks 10:32 AM 06-16-2010
Tell her she has to either pay you to hold the spot (if you don't want her back then tell her 100%) OR she has to find alternate care in the fall. You have a family lined up already so it's not like you would lose out. Good luck!
misol 10:53 AM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by emosks:
Tell her she has to either pay you to hold the spot (if you don't want her back then tell her 100%) OR she has to find alternate care in the fall. You have a family lined up already so it's not like you would lose out. Good luck!
I like this suggestion however, there is always the chance (albeit slight) that the teacher mom will take her up on the offer and pay the full rate to hold the spot and then want to bring the kids during the summer

Firstly, I would have a conversation with the new family and if they definitely want to use you, ask them for a small deposit to hold the spot for the fall "because you have another family interested in the spot but you want to give them first dibs." If they accept, then I would give teacher mom notice as soon as they give you the deposit.

If the new family is unsure or declines, then I would start advertising to fill teacher mom's slots and then give her notice according to the terms of your contract (mine is 2 weeks).
momofboys 11:25 AM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
I like this suggestion however, there is always the chance (albeit slight) that the teacher mom will take her up on the offer and pay the full rate to hold the spot and then want to bring the kids during the summer

Firstly, I would have a conversation with the new family and if they definitely want to use you, ask them for a small deposit to hold the spot for the fall "because you have another family interested in the spot but you want to give them first dibs." If they accept, then I would give teacher mom notice as soon as they give you the deposit.

If the new family is unsure or declines, then I would start advertising to fill teacher mom's slots and then give her notice according to the terms of your contract (mine is 2 weeks).
When my temporary family began they asked if I would be interested in the fall & I told them I did not know but would consider it. So I guess I need to find out if they would want me to watch their kids in the fall. I know they checked out pricing at some local centers & were not wanting to pay the high center rates (they aren't really THAT high but home daycare around my area is easily 10 - 15% cheaper than the centers). I was reluctant to offer than any hope of me caring for their family in the fall without knowing how things would go with them & if they are "good" parents (not late, let me know what is going on, etc). I like this though. If things continue to go well with them I will ask them about care for the school year likely within the next week or two. And if they will commit (as in sign a fall contract, they have signed a contract for the summer only) then I will let my teacher mom know. Another thing that is good about this family is they would need my care all year. So I would have more definite $$$ coming in rather than weeks with no pay.
Tags:summer, terminate
Reply Up