Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teething Necklaces?
DBug 05:03 AM 01-13-2012
So I've had a few kids now that come with amber teething necklaces over the past year or so -- does anyone else have experience with these? I'm so afraid that another child will pull on it and choke the child, or that the child will strangle themselves while they're sleeping or that it will get pulled apart by the child who is wearing it, or that it will get eaten by another child ... . I'm sure these fears are unfounded, but what do you ladies do with them? Do you let the child wear them while playing and take it off for naptime, or what?

I did have one mom who would put it on her LO's ankle, under her sock. But either she or another child would end up getting her sock and the necklace off, so I would end up putting it up anyway.

What do you do?
Cat Herder 05:18 AM 01-13-2012
I don't allow them.

They cannot be LEGALLY sold as medical devices OR toys in the US.

They are against regs as "Suffocation and Choking Hazard."
Solandia 05:23 AM 01-13-2012
My boys both have amber necklaces or amber & hazelwood. I allow jewelry until it becomes an issue, then it is gone for a while (like a month or until I find them when I clean off the top of the TV cabinet, lol). Always take them off for naps, and outdoor play...only because they play rougher outside, and during naps are not in line of sight 100% of the time...I dont want anyone hanging themselves with a necklace.

None of my daycare parents have ever brought kids with jewelry on a regular basis...
SilverSabre25 05:25 AM 01-13-2012
My DS wears one It helps a lot.

I don't let other people near my babies so I wouldn't worry about another child pulling on one because the other children don't touch the babies.

As for choking, strangling, eating, there is a knot between each bead so if it does break there will be at most one bead free. The beads are usually tiny and while swallowable, not likely to choke the child. The thread the necklace is on is also designed to break under a certain amount of pressure. If the necklace fits properly then there's not much risk of strangulation, either.
SunflowerMama 05:41 AM 01-13-2012
My own daughters wore them when they were infants and I have 2 current infants that wear them daily.

They really helped my girls and seem to help the dcks in care. I just keep an eye on the kids and as long as the necklaces aren't long and are worn more snuggly it would be difficult for another child to pull it off or for them to be strangled.

I also keep my infants within site at naptime so I allow them to be worn at nap.
Oneluckymom 11:00 AM 01-13-2012
OK I had no idea what you guys were talking about so I had to look them up on Amazon. OMG, just looking at them gave me shivers. How are the beads secured so the baby doesn't pull them off. I would be so paranoid for a baby in my care to choke on one.
DBug 11:39 AM 01-13-2012
Thanks for the input guys! I think I'll start taking them off during the day and just leave them in each child's cubby. It doesn't bother the parents at all, but I'm thinking I'd rather not have the potential for something bad to happen. I mean, all it takes is for a toddler to hook their finger through the back of one of the necklaces and pull when I've got my back turned.

In one case it's a toddler wearing one, and that worries me more -- a toddler could quite easily get it caught on something or pull it herself.

Thanks all!!
KEG123 12:14 PM 01-13-2012
Both my own kids (3 months and 3 years) wear them. I'm with some others above that they would come off if they become an issue.
saved4always 01:16 PM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
OK I had no idea what you guys were talking about so I had to look them up on Amazon. OMG, just looking at them gave me shivers. How are the beads secured so the baby doesn't pull them off. I would be so paranoid for a baby in my care to choke on one.
I had to look it up, too. I agree...there is no way I would allow a child I am watching to wear one of those in my house. I would be stressed out constantly that it would fall apart and one of the children would eat/swallow the beads or that it would get caught on something and choke a child. It is not worth taking a chance for me.
countrymom 04:02 PM 01-13-2012
what is the purpose of them. I had to look them up. All I could think about is, "what happens if it lets go and I have to pick up every little one" I don't understand why parents wouldn't give them something to relieve the pain. Its like when an adult has teeth pain, they would take some tylenol not a teething necklace. (my molars have been bothering all week, I'm living on tylenol so I can so sympathize with the babies, it hurts.)
cheerfuldom 04:51 PM 01-13-2012
I know many people that swear by them. One dad I know wore them when he got his wisdom teeth pulled. That said, I would not allow my daycare kids to wear them....too much liability if they got hurt. My own kids have worn them but I take them off when they go to sleep. they only wear them when I am right there with them.
youretooloud 05:46 PM 01-13-2012
They're so popular now, I don't even notice them anymore. I've heard good things about them, and they do look kinda sweet. I'd buy one if I had a little one of my own.

I've been seeing a lot of fakes out there lately though. It makes me mad that someone would sell knock offs.
AfterSchoolMom 07:54 PM 01-13-2012
I don't get it. Do they chew on this thing, or just wear it? If the latter, how does that do anything?
youretooloud 07:59 PM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I don't get it. Do they chew on this thing, or just wear it? If the latter, how does that do anything?
http://www.amber-teething-necklace.com/

I love the looks of them... and people swear they work.. but, I'm not sure how or why, or if it's real or just a hoax. But, if it works, it works.
Mary Poppins 08:22 PM 01-13-2012
The hubs wants to know if they make one of these for PMSing and if so, where can he buy a case of them???
KEG123 09:04 AM 01-14-2012
Here is good info on the benefits... this shop is where we got ours... http://hyenacart.com/inspiredbyfinn/...Can-it-Help-Us
Unregistered 06:00 AM 07-02-2015
My nephews, daughter, and a 2 year old in care wear one. The fossilized amber when worn on the skin creates succinic acid whick acts as an inflammatory, pain reliever and has some anti-biotic properties. None of these kids have needed oral meds for teething, never had strep throat, ear infections and very rarely needed meds for colds.
The beads should each have a knot so if the string breaks the beads do not fall every where. The clasp is made of plastic or rubber and will separate under pressure to prevent choking.
Amber has been used for centuries in Europe, and is even used by many persons in sports.( dcd is a coach).
Even though you should take them off for sleeping the likely hood of choking it pretty slim. And seems more likely they will find something to stick in their mouth from your floor, I heard of one boy almost choking because he had is arm stuck in his but his parents put his older sisters on him and it was MUCH to large and they had it wraped around more than once( stupid)
Shell 07:12 AM 07-02-2015
One of my dcg's (8 mos) was wearing one of these when my licensor came for my re- licensing visit. She told me dcg could not wear it, any necklace is a choking hazard, and she even emailed me to follow up and make sure dcg didn't have it again!
I'm not sure if they work, but just an FYI to check with licensing about these. I didn't think it was a big deal, but I complied and told the parents it couldn't come back (dcm rolled her eyes, too).
nannyde 08:40 AM 07-02-2015
I don't allow jewelry so I wouldn't allow them.
AmyKidsCo 11:47 AM 07-02-2015
As a Mom I'm fine with them, but as a FCC provider I wouldn't allow them. I'd be too paranoid that something would happen. One of our licensors also strongly suggested we don't allow them because if something did happen the parents could sue us for improper supervision. Even though THEY put the necklace on the child.
Tags:necklaces, strangulation risk, teething necklaces
Reply Up