Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Summer days
alicia@home 03:07 PM 06-23-2015
Just curious whether you keep the same schedule in the summer as the fall/winter? Also, what is your schedule?
Where I live, summer is pretty much the only time to get outside and play without getting super soaked (not that the kids really care). Point is I feel like our schedule has gone out the window in favor of being outside ALL DAY! Which I love, but my SA child is here now and yeah....I think some structure may be in order.
childcaremom 03:38 PM 06-23-2015
Ah. I hear ya.

This is the time of year when we drop the schedule and head outside for the day. I sometimes set up stations but opt for free play.

It usually is not an issue at all. This group can't seem to handle it and it's only been a week and a half.

I really don't want to do a structured day but am at my wit's end with this group.

Don't mean to hijack.... but I feel your pain.
Controlled Chaos 06:52 AM 06-24-2015
I definitely do fewer crafts, and less circle time in the nice weather. Though, it is now hot enough, we may be inside more again until fall

Snacks, lunch and nap keep the day feeling more structured I think...even without centers and circle time I think.

If they need structure - maybe try adding new structure outside?
Outside 20 min free play
Bubbles out 20 min
Water table out 20 min
Music on 20 min

etc. Anything that sets landmarks for them.
kathiemarie 07:52 AM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I definitely do fewer crafts, and less circle time in the nice weather. Though, it is now hot enough, we may be inside more again until fall

Snacks, lunch and nap keep the day feeling more structured I think...even without centers and circle time I think.

If they need structure - maybe try adding new structure outside?
Outside 20 min free play
Bubbles out 20 min
Water table out 20 min
Music on 20 min

etc. Anything that sets landmarks for them.

This... Outside time can be structured too. You have to mix it up. I live in So. Cal so we have "summer" weather 95% of the time. If I let my kids just have free time outside all day it turns out to be a mess. I have different toys I will bring out at different times. We will do art outside. I teach them different ways to play with the toys they have. I bought some pool noodles and we use them as hockey sticks with large beach balls. (I cut them in half because I have all littles) They can also be used as telescopes or swords. I guess my point is just because you are outside you still need to plan some part of the day.
Play Care 09:21 AM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by kathiemarie:
[/b]

This... Outside time can be structured too. You have to mix it up. I live in So. Cal so we have "summer" weather 95% of the time. If I let my kids just have free time outside all day it turns out to be a mess. I have different toys I will bring out at different times. We will do art outside. I teach them different ways to play with the toys they have. I bought some pool noodles and we use them as hockey sticks with large beach balls. (I cut them in half because I have all littles) They can also be used as telescopes or swords. I guess my point is just because you are outside you still need to plan some part of the day.

alicia@home 05:18 PM 06-26-2015
Thank you! I knew there had to be a way to keep the play outside but somehow structure the day

I'm gonna implement some outside art, bubble time, etc.

THANKS!
Thriftylady 05:27 PM 06-26-2015
We have always done way more outside in the summer. From water play to arts and crafts to picnics. Around here, winter means we are cooped up so we try to enjoy outside in the summer.
Reply Up