Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dcf is planning to move ... Heard through gma
midaycare 01:38 PM 06-25-2015
So ... Grandma picks up dcg today and says, "Well the interviews dcm and dcd had went very well. I expect they will get the jobs and be moving soon." She mentioned the place they are moving to - about 3-4 hours away.

Grandma thought I already knew. Houses around here are selling before they even go on the market (I'm not kidding). So that would not be an issue for them.

I'm not worried about filling the spot, but I have someone who wants it who is a friend of a current dcm, and also a wonderful family.

Would it be fair to give, say, a 6-week notice? I'm certain dcm and dcd will get these jobs. They could work anywhere they wanted to. I don't want to leave them without childcare, but then again ... They aren't keeping me informed ...
nannyde 02:09 PM 06-25-2015
I would give them whatever notice you require they give you now.
Unregistered 02:52 PM 06-25-2015
Do what's best for your family. They are.
Thriftylady 03:25 PM 06-25-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Do what's best for your family. They are.
This. It seems that we (childcare providers) always seem to struggle with this part of the business. But you have to do what is right for you. Start making sure you have the spot filled and give notice.
daycarediva 03:27 PM 06-25-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
This. It seems that we (childcare providers) always seem to struggle with this part of the business. But you have to do what is right for you. Start making sure you have the spot filled and give notice.
I would give two weeks/what your contract requires, or however long it was taking for new family to start. Obviously, the dcp's aren't giving you any consideration.
Thriftylady 03:31 PM 06-25-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I would give two weeks/what your contract requires, or however long it was taking for new family to start. Obviously, the dcp's aren't giving you any consideration.
I kind of see their side of it, they want official offers or whatever and then see if they like the offers. The like you and want to keep you until they know for sure. I get that part. But that shouldn't be put on you as the provider.
midaycare 03:38 PM 06-25-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I kind of see their side of it, they want official offers or whatever and then see if they like the offers. The like you and want to keep you until they know for sure. I get that part. But that shouldn't be put on you as the provider.
I totally understand this. Grandma messed up by telling me. I wouldn't have told my daycare provider until I knew for sure.

But ... Now that I know ...
cheerfuldom 05:00 PM 06-25-2015
I would talk to the parents for sure before making a decision. It seems unwise to make a business decision based on a comment from a relative.
jenboo 06:19 PM 06-25-2015
I would wait until the parents tell me and then follow my normal policy. The issuers didn't want you to know yet so I would act as if I didn't know.
mommyneedsadayoff 05:47 AM 06-26-2015
I would just ask. "Hey! Grandma mentioned you guys were thinking of relocating due to new jobs. How is it going? Any leads or plans in motion yet?" Come across as nice and just friendly convo. You will be able to tell by their response whether they are serious or not and you never know, maybe they only tell grandma bits and pieces too and she runs with it and adds her own narrative to it I feel like most issues can be solved with communication. Just ask and go from there.
Blackcat31 05:51 AM 06-26-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I would just ask. "Hey! Grandma mentioned you guys were thinking of relocating due to new jobs. How is it going? Any leads or plans in motion yet?" Come across as nice and just friendly convo. You will be able to tell by their response whether they are serious or not and you never know, maybe they only tell grandma bits and pieces too and she runs with it and adds her own narrative to it I feel like most issues can be solved with communication. Just ask and go from there.
This is the key to good business.

It's something that should be high on the priority list for both provider and parent.
Laurel 05:52 AM 06-26-2015
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would talk to the parents for sure before making a decision. It seems unwise to make a business decision based on a comment from a relative.

Laurel 05:53 AM 06-26-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:

DaveA 05:59 AM 06-26-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I would wait until the parents tell me and then follow my normal policy. The issuers didn't want you to know yet so I would act as if I didn't know.
This I what I would do. Don't assume Grandma is 100% up to speed. My wife went to a nursing training/ conference a few years ago & my MIL told EVERYONE she was taking a job and moving (without me and the kids of course)

They may be undecided and change their minds. Or be using these interviews as leverage at their current job. If you don't anticipate trouble filling the spot I wouldn't rent trouble you don't need to buy yet.
Unregistered 06:49 AM 06-26-2015
They may not be planning on moving. Sometimes people use job offers to get better pay and positions within the place they are already working. If they are required to give you advanced notice then I wouldn't worry. People generally don't up and move in two weeks time.
midaycare 08:31 AM 06-26-2015
Sorry, I forgot to mention - I did talk to dcm. She confirmed that what grandma said was true. That's why I was thinking maybe giving 6-8 weeks notice. I figure they will be gone by the end of summer.

Cool family, but they are very spur-of-the-moment. Moved to Alaska on a whim. Came back. Bought a house a few months ago. Decided they want to go to school for more education. Changed their minds. Dcm got a sweet promotion. She doesn't like it. Now wants to sell everything and move again.
Annalee 09:25 AM 06-26-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Sorry, I forgot to mention - I did talk to dcm. She confirmed that what grandma said was true. That's why I was thinking maybe giving 6-8 weeks notice. I figure they will be gone by the end of summer.

Cool family, but they are very spur-of-the-moment. Moved to Alaska on a whim. Came back. Bought a house a few months ago. Decided they want to go to school for more education. Changed their minds. Dcm got a sweet promotion. She doesn't like it. Now wants to sell everything and move again.
Tell the family they are required to give whatever notice is in your contract. If it is two weeks, then they should tell you within that time frame. You could start interviewing and be prepared for the upcoming opening. Good luck!
spud912 10:00 AM 06-26-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:

I had a family exactly like that. She gave notice because they were moving to Alaska. She even quit her job. One week into the two week notice she changed her mind and asked if she can drop down to part time.....sorry spot was filled. In the past year, they planned two more moves and cancelled, they got pets and then got rid of them, they almost bought a local house and then didn't.
Reply Up