Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bookcases vs Plastic 3 Draw Bins
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 04:58 PM 06-27-2015
I'm at a cross road here. I am trying to decide between using bookcases with bins or the 3 drawer bin to store my toys, crafts an other daycare items in. I figured the drawer bins I can roll into the large closet at the end of the week. I could use one for kitchen, one for dolls, one for music, one for potato heads. I'm just revamping everything over the summer.
Thriftylady 05:02 PM 06-27-2015
Well price is a factor, but I find decent bookcases used a ton. I like the bookcases better because they seem to stand up to the beating of the constant use better.
Unregistered 05:34 AM 06-28-2015
The drawers don't open and shut well if there is any weight to the items. For me I love shelves and bins!
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 04:38 AM 06-29-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Well price is a factor, but I find decent bookcases used a ton. I like the bookcases better because they seem to stand up to the beating of the constant use better.
What type of bins do you use on the bookcases? I have three of those 6-cube things that I use now. I really need some new bins for them that will stand up to a bunch of 2-year olds. I wanted to get the IKEA Expedia bookcases but apparently they are no longer making those.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 04:41 AM 06-29-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The drawers don't open and shut well if there is any weight to the items. For me I love shelves and bins!
Yeah that was the issue I had when my son had a ton of matchbox cars in the ones in his room. What type of bins do you use? Do you have the cubed bookcase thing or is it an actual bookcase? I've been trolling Pinterest to get ideas but I haven't found anything yet that I totally love. I share a space with my livingroom as it is our only one.
childcaremom 04:56 AM 06-29-2015
ikea has new shelves that are similar. I can link to it at nap. we have their wicker baskets and they are going on 15 years strong.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 05:29 AM 06-29-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
ikea has new shelves that are similar. I can link to it at nap. we have their wicker baskets and they are going on 15 years strong.
Awesome. Thank you.
childcaremom 06:13 AM 06-29-2015
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/search/?query=kallax

I haven't measured to see if these would fit or not but they are quite similar to the ones we have.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/00282405/

We have had them for so long. Kids, cats, daycare kids. We have them on a book shelf, not the Kallax.

Haven't tried the Kallax (or Expedit) so have no comment on them.... but I would like to have them for my girls' room and for daycare. They look nice and (I think) suit the living room/daycare combo
AmyKidsCo 01:23 PM 06-29-2015
I like bookcases because they're versatile. You can put bins on them, baskets, large toys, clothing, diapers, books, etc. And it's easy to see and get to what's on them.

IME bins tend to turn into black holes, collecting tons of junk and pulling it to the bottom so you can't find anything in them.
Baby Beluga 04:04 PM 06-29-2015
I vote for bookcases.

I have the Kallax cubbies and the Drona boxes (from Ikea) in my DD's room. The Drona boxes hold a surprisingly good amount of weight and still look brand new.

In the DC room I have ones with 6 cubbies you can get at Walmart and Target. The shelves themselves have held up great, but I find I have to replace the fabric boxes about every 1.5 years.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 03:30 AM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I vote for bookcases.

I have the Kallax cubbies and the Drona boxes (from Ikea) in my DD's room. The Drona boxes hold a surprisingly good amount of weight and still look brand new.

In the DC room I have ones with 6 cubbies you can get at Walmart and Target. The shelves themselves have held up great, but I find I have to replace the fabric boxes about every 1.5 years.
That's what I have the 6 cube thing from target with the fabric bins. They are now stretched out from the kids. How do you like the Kallax cubbies? I have a huge 16 ft across wall with nothing on it. I have a small table there now but I was looking at the Kallax system last night an they have a big one that would take up that space
284878 04:33 AM 06-30-2015
Bookcase with bins for the kids use. If a bin gets broken their is a lower replacement cost. I get bins from dollar tree.
The carts can be good for storage for you. I got a file cart with drawers at a yard sale that I use to store craft supplies or toys that need supervision. (I think the cart is meant for paper supply for a printer room) I keep it out of their reach.
Baby Beluga 02:21 PM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by Cozy_Kids_Childcare:
That's what I have the 6 cube thing from target with the fabric bins. They are now stretched out from the kids. How do you like the Kallax cubbies? I have a huge 16 ft across wall with nothing on it. I have a small table there now but I was looking at the Kallax system last night an they have a big one that would take up that space
Love them! The cubbies are actually bigger then the cubes things you get from Walmart/Target too. I would like to eventually replace my current 6 cube shelves in the DC room with a Kallax system. Also, the Kallax systems are a breeze to put together - much easier then the 6 cubes ones.
Unregistered 06:29 PM 07-01-2015
Originally Posted by Cozy_Kids_Childcare:
Yeah that was the issue I had when my son had a ton of matchbox cars in the ones in his room. What type of bins do you use? Do you have the cubed bookcase thing or is it an actual bookcase? I've been trolling Pinterest to get ideas but I haven't found anything yet that I totally love. I share a space with my livingroom as it is our only one.
No, not cubes.

My husband built low shelves modeled after shelves found in school supply catalogs. The backs are white wainscoting type panels. I have red dish pan tubs from Wal-Mart for the toys.

I've been considering lots fewer plastic toys (mainly wooden-tho not completely getting rid of all plastic toys) and I've been stalking GoodWill for high quality whicker baskets to hold toys.

I used rummage sale find selves for many years and just plastic baskets for the toys and that worked fine too!
Reply Up