Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help transitioning new 12 mo
childcaremom 07:57 AM 06-30-2015
I have a new 12 mo who just started a few weeks ago, very PT and then yesterday FT.

She cries all.the.time. unless I am holding her.

I have tried holding her in my lap. Placing her beside me on the floor and playing beside her. Lots of hugs. Lots of verbal reassurance.

She seems scared of the other kids. She cries when they come near her. She cries if they look at her. She cries if they talk to her. She loses her mind if I leave her line of vision.

ugh.

I have kept her schedule the same. Mom had her pretty close to what we were doing so there hasn't been any huge shake up other than daycare (which is huge, I know).

She will immediately stop if I pick her up. It is a very distressed cry, though, and breaks my heart to hear it. I cannot hold her all day obviously and do not want to start a habit that I can't keep up.

When we headed outside, she was crying. I held her on my lap for about 2 minutes, then set her down, verbally reassuring her, and she went to play. So I think that progress can be made, just wondering if I can do anything to speed it up

Any tricks to try?

How long would you give it? I have a 4 week trial period but if I don't see some major improvement by the end of next week I am thinking to be done then. I don't like seeing a little one so stressed out.

I have been very honest with mom and dad. She had also not been around other kids so I know it is probably extremely overwhelming for her, even though my group is fairly docile (most times, lol).
Kimskiddos 08:06 AM 06-30-2015
I feel your pain! I have a new 12mo who has been home with mom and nanny. It is a rough age to transition to daycare. Mine screams/cries a lot too. I mostly just try to ignore the behavior. But do I make an effort to hug, talk to etc. on the rare instances when she isn't screaming and crying. I've given myself until the end of July to see if this will work. She is showing some improvement.

I have another 13mo who I've had since 9wks and she has become a bit of a crier/screamer too. I think a big part is just plain their age.
AuntTami 10:51 AM 06-30-2015
I had this kid. He's Just turned 2 now but he started with me around 17 months old and he was used to being held and being the "baby". He had no idea what to do with other toddlers! I had to learn to tune him out and I NEVER picked him up when he was crying over attention. If he was hurt, or something similar, yes. But if he just wanted to be held and was crying for it, nope. He needed to and still needs to stop crying and ask "up please" before I will pick him up.

If you need to reassure her, get down to her level and reassure her there, without holding her. You can hug her, kiss her, etc but don't pick her up unless she's obviously losing her mind and is terrified lol.
Reply Up