Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daycare Director Does Nothing
Unregistered 04:45 PM 07-18-2008
My son who is now 14 mos old. attends a Christian daycare. I work part time in social work so my schedule isn't usually the same every week. He attended this daycare since he was 2 mos. old and everything went great until he turned 1 and went into the toddler room. During that year I started receiving reports from staff that there were children there that neglect was suspected of the parents. I instructed the staff to report their suspicions to the local DCS office. They already went to the director and she wouldn't do anything about the situations. One time I actually walked in and found my son in the care of one of these parents that she decided to hire even though she knew about her staffs concerns. (director was out the day I witnessed this so I had to tell her the next day my son attended) I spoke to the director and found out that she had quit as soon as she started and she stated that she would not allow her to work there again. I soon heard from a teacher that this person (who now has a open case with DCS and I cannot tell the director because of confidentiality) is coming back to work at the daycare. I questioned the director and she stated that this girl had called and wanted to work there but the director had not returned the call. She also felt that giving her a job there would give her the opportunity to minister this young mother. I never heard anymore about the situation and the girl didn't show up. Then I noticed that my son had finger marks on the outside of his upper arms. I instantly thought that my 5 yr old daughter was picking him up and talked to her about being gentle with baby. The bruises healed and we went on until one day I go to pick my son up and observed his "teacher" pick him up by the arms. I told her that she cannot pick any children up that way and that it must be painful. I told the director and she said she would talk with her. Then on Wednesday I get a call that my son was hurt at daycare. They said that he hit his eye and had a black eye. When I got the story I thought that he was clumsy like most 14 mos old. Then, I got home and noticed that he wasn't talking (making baby noises) When he finally did I noticed that he had no voice. I was off the next day so I didn't see any of the other teachers. I received a call last night stating that my son got the black eye from the teacher forcing him down onto a cot. I met with the assistant director today that informed me that this isn't the first time a child was hurt in her room and the director will not do anything about it. Needless to say I pulled both my children out but the big problem is that I live in the smallest county in the U.S. and this is the only daycare. There is only a few home based daycare's and they are full. What do I do now? I have to quit my job I guess. I have a meeting with the board of directors monday but this doesn't help my daycare situation. The reason I need someone in the county is because my daughter is starting kindergarten this year and I will need someone before and after school. I need to know if anyone would ever trust this daycare again even after restructuring. They have suspended the teacher but how do I know the other teachers arent like this?
Unregistered 06:52 PM 07-22-2008
Alot of HEAR SAY----------get facts-document-find a pattern-then report-go over the directors head-she isn't the law-
Unregistered 01:17 PM 07-23-2008
I did take my son to the pediatrician to make sure there wasn't any damage. The eye is documented. I have the letter from staff asking for my help to report these parents. The board of directors never called me back and the teacher in question is allowed to work alone with these young children. They told me that she was suspended but she is not. When I was talking with the asst. director another mother came in and said that she had reported this teacher a few weeks ago when she witnessed her grabbing a baby's arm and dragging him in from the playground. So, this is report #2 and nothing has been done. A teacher there is a friend and she also told me that she witnessed her slamming a baby into a chair and reported it to the director but nothing was done. This makes report #3. All of these people are willing to document because now it has been a week since the incident and nothing has been done to this teacher. My kids are safe now because I pulled them out but do I have a duty to the other children to report the incident? This is a very small county and one of the board members is a police detective that has already called my friend at DCS to inquire if a report has been made. She stated that he wasn't understanding of my situation. I just don't want this to effect my job and my life here in this county. I know it sounds selfish but I don't want any problems. At the same time there are kids there being hurt by this teacher and I feel like my hands are tied. Should I report them or not since the board is aware and I have discussed with DCS that agrees that we don't want my son's name in the system as a victim. Should I let it go, report it or keep hounding the board for changes?
lilbiddapopcorn 10:14 PM 10-14-2008
Children are everyone's responsibility. You should absolutely continue to do everything you can to protect them! Look at it this way - what if you were the parent who didn't know and everyone who did know didn't want to get involved? How will you feel if you don't do anything and then you're watching TV one night and find out a child in that center was hurt badly or even permanently brain damaged? If she's done it this many times, she'll continue doing it because there's no one there to stop her. Be the one who does!! Any mother in your community can understand that no matter how small it is.
Unregistered 10:15 AM 12-05-2008
I agree with lilbiddapopcorn, you do have a responsibility. Get the people willing to document to at least make a written statement (so you have that), distribute this to as many of the parents as you can, try not to go it alone. Once you have others involved it is not you that will be focused on by others in the county it will be the daycare. Expose the daycare.
I am finding with our DC that the deliberately try to keep the parents from knowing or contacting each other. Easier here for them in a big city than in a small county like yours I suspect. It baffles me that parents do look away sometimes in fear that their child will receive retaliation from the caregivers or that you may have togo through the trouble of pulling your child away from their routine and/or their friends or worse that the community may react to you for making "waves". People........ these are our childern and for me personally one parrt of the most important things in my life, my family. More important than my job, my comfort, my standing in the community, and the well-being of the daycare and its workers. Good luck, I hope you get the resolution you and the other parents need.
Ms.Sue 05:50 PM 12-09-2008
My son who is now 14 mos old. attends a Christian daycare.

1st don't ever make the mistake to believe in "christian" daycare - they use religion to make people think they are perfect and wonderful - wrong!

I work part time in social work so my schedule isn't usually the same every week.
where is your child' father? Your mom? anyone else to help you.

During that year I started receiving reports from staff that there were children there that neglect was suspected of the parents. I instructed the staff to report their suspicions to the local DCS office.
wow, professionally and legally the staff should of never said anything to you since you are another parent - very unprofessional.

They already went to the director and she wouldn't do anything about the situations.
As a center owner - I would need to have real proof - and not suggestions, or suspicions, etc. Before you actually place that call to Protective services - you better be damned sure and 100% of your information.

I soon heard from a teacher that this person (who now has a open case with DCS and I cannot tell the director because of confidentiality) is coming back to work at the daycare. I questioned the director and she stated that this girl had called and wanted to work there but the director had not returned the call. She also felt that giving her a job there would give her the opportunity to minister this young mother.
My question is that you are mentioning confidentiality ???!!!! - if that were true how would you even know about the parents case????? So, basically you don't support confidentialty either...just a thought...

Then on Wednesday I get a call that my son was hurt at daycare. They said that he hit his eye and had a black eye. When I got the story I thought that he was clumsy like most 14 mos old. Then, I got home and noticed that he wasn't talking (making baby noises) When he finally did I noticed that he had no voice.
did you take him to the emergecy room ? the dr ? or call the daycare to get an answer???

I was off the next day so I didn't see any of the other teachers.
I received a call last night stating that my son got the black eye from the teacher forcing him down onto a cot.

At this point - if you got your information from another 'teacher' - did you call the State and report the daycare??????

I met with the assistant director today that informed me that this isn't the first time a child was hurt in her room and the director will not do anything about it.
Why didn't you meet with the director ?? or go to the owner??? - what is an assistant director repsonsible for????? If your child was injured - you most likely would have met with the director - or turned the daycare in.......Why did you even bother to speak to an "assistant" director ???!!!

Needless to say I pulled both my children out but the big problem is that I live in the smallest county in the U.S. and this is the only daycare.

Good - I am gald to hear that you removed your children - that was the right thing to do.

There is only a few home based daycare's and they are full. What do I do now?
Since you are already in social work - would you be able to open your own daycare business???? If not - you may have to commute farther to find suitable childcare.

I have to quit my job I guess. I have a meeting with the board of directors monday but this doesn't help my daycare situation.
The reason I need someone in the county is because my daughter is starting kindergarten this year and I will need someone before and after school.
Well, honestly, it should be relatively easy to find before/after school care - versus full time daycare.......I would try to find someone for her when she enters kindergareten.

I need to know if anyone would ever trust this daycare again

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Never.

even after restructuring. They have suspended the teacher but how do I know the other teachers arent like this?
Most likely the entire place is unhealthy - and not very open to parents and seem to have a history of hiding these issues - or looking the other way ........don't go back there.
Unregistered 05:42 AM 12-19-2008
Well at this point I have opened my own childcare here in my home. There is no latchkey program and the school is not aware of any after school programs. I decided to start my own since I had to leave my job. I do it for a low rate so that (in this economy) I can make a little money and help parents that were in my position. I only have taken three children because I love having this low adult to child ratio. I try to give these kids the same treatment I would love for my children to receive. We have a lot of fun and my social work background has given me the experience to help parents who have children with developmental disabilities. With the low ratio and the help of a friend I can help these children with their therapeutic interventions and give them one on one time. I provide two snacks and lunch for the reasonable rate of 18.00 per day. I do not charge unless the kids are here. Which I think is very fair since I have a low overhead.
I made reports to the DCS office but they went nowhere (one of the board members is a State Police Detective that I was informed Called DCS and "smoothed" things over.) I wrote a letter to the editor of our local newspaper but it has not been published. As far as the confidentiality question I never told the DCS director that there was an open case on a child. Just that this person was turned in to DCS by her staff and I didn't want my child around this person. As far as the director not turning this parent into DCS she was fully aware that this baby was brought to daycare with only an 8 oz bottle of formula for an 8 hour day. No other baby food. On occasion the mother would bring in one jar of baby food but no formula. I seen this baby the other day and DCS did their Magic! She is thriving and mom looked much happier. They gave her the skills she needed to care for her child properly. In my daycare I have the parents sign a contract and in there it states that I will call DCS if there are any signs of abuse and neglect. My parents are also aware of my position before I became a childcare provider. Since my attempts to make reports the "good" staff at the daycare have left because of the incident. I do not know many people in this county since I didn't grow up here and word of mouth got around and parents are hearing that "a social workers child was bused there!" I also found out from a former daycare director (which that daycare is no longer in business) that she fired the teacher that did this to my son previous to her employment with the daycare we used. She was fired for tying up a child with dishtowels because she couldn't "control" him. My mind tells me that not all day cares are like this but my heart won't let go of the pain of knowing what happened to my child. I cannot bring myself to allow this to happen again so my kids will never attend daycare again. It is very hard to trust again.
Unregistered 09:21 AM 02-11-2010
I just read over your posting and I can't believe what I am hearing, this center should not be open if these thing are really taking place. If they are you can go straight to the Division of Child Development In Raliegh N.C. and they will get to the bottom of it all and the center may even be closed. I am so very very sorry something like this has happened to you and your child it makes me sick. I run a back ground check on my staff every six months and I walk my center all day looking for the smallest of things. I wished you could see my center and the way one should be ran with lots of love and children laughing.
The name I give you will fix any problem they will talk to all parents, staff until they get to the bottom. Good Luck not all centers are bad also look for a center that has camaras.
Aya477 07:28 AM 04-23-2010
I simply want to offer a word of advice regarding webcams in daycares. First hand, I can tell you that webcams are not without flaw. My son attended a daycare who absolutely sold themselves on the fact they were one of 5 in our state that offered such a feature. Their webcam only provided still images of the classroom and one would have to refresh (up to 3 times/minute before being timed out for 90 seconds) to see a new image and further there was no sound available. I absolutely do not want to discount the advantages of having your child in a center who provides a webcam but would urge you to not solely pick a center for this feature. I provided the center director and owner with images printed from the webcam that showed a teacher standing out in a hallway or turning her back to the classroom to have a conversation at the door with someone, or blatantly (and regularly) not interacting with the children, only to have the teacher, owner, and director make excuses for what was going on and consequently begin to further ignore my son in fear that I was a parent who was difficult to please. I also sent a variety of these images to our state licensing agency and was incredibly disappointed because a substantiation could not be reached beyond a reasonable doubt based off webcam images. Further the consultant's supervisor who made the inspection visit said that upon review of the images that she had immediate concern. But after interviewing the teacher that the teacher was able to make reasonable excuses for why she was at the doorway and turning her back to the classroom that the licensing supervisor could not unequivocably agree there was lack of supervision. So here I turned to the licensing body to hopefully force the center to make corrective actions to keep all children there safe and found that the investigation process is also flawed. It truly is a he-said/she-said battle. There is little justice in this world for our children any more. I am grateful that I was able to view the deficiencies of this classroom and remove my child from the center. But I want to caution you that a webcam does not guarantee the best and safest environment for your child. Be sure that a center can provide audio and continual motion if you want to be absolutely certain of what is occuring in your child's classroom. And again, if there is ever an issue you will not be able to have a substantiated complaint unless you've recorded what has occurred.
nannyde 02:33 PM 04-23-2010
Originally Posted by Aya477:
I simply want to offer a word of advice regarding webcams in daycares. First hand, I can tell you that webcams are not without flaw. My son attended a daycare who absolutely sold themselves on the fact they were one of 5 in our state that offered such a feature. Their webcam only provided still images of the classroom and one would have to refresh (up to 3 times/minute before being timed out for 90 seconds) to see a new image and further there was no sound available. I absolutely do not want to discount the advantages of having your child in a center who provides a webcam but would urge you to not solely pick a center for this feature. I provided the center director and owner with images printed from the webcam that showed a teacher standing out in a hallway or turning her back to the classroom to have a conversation at the door with someone, or blatantly (and regularly) not interacting with the children, only to have the teacher, owner, and director make excuses for what was going on and consequently begin to further ignore my son in fear that I was a parent who was difficult to please. I also sent a variety of these images to our state licensing agency and was incredibly disappointed because a substantiation could not be reached beyond a reasonable doubt based off webcam images. Further the consultant's supervisor who made the inspection visit said that upon review of the images that she had immediate concern. But after interviewing the teacher that the teacher was able to make reasonable excuses for why she was at the doorway and turning her back to the classroom that the licensing supervisor could not unequivocably agree there was lack of supervision. So here I turned to the licensing body to hopefully force the center to make corrective actions to keep all children there safe and found that the investigation process is also flawed. It truly is a he-said/she-said battle. There is little justice in this world for our children any more. I am grateful that I was able to view the deficiencies of this classroom and remove my child from the center. But I want to caution you that a webcam does not guarantee the best and safest environment for your child. Be sure that a center can provide audio and continual motion if you want to be absolutely certain of what is occuring in your child's classroom. And again, if there is ever an issue you will not be able to have a substantiated complaint unless you've recorded what has occurred.
Do you know of any Center in the US that has video AND audio webcam?
Michael 02:47 PM 04-23-2010
Would imagine the more expensive systems have both. We had an article relating to CCTVs: https://www.daycare.com/story/daycar...o_cameras.html

Here is another couple of threads that has similar comments:
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...highlight=cctv

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ghlight=webcam
nannyde 03:44 PM 04-23-2010
Originally Posted by michael:
Would imagine the more expensive systems have both. We had an article relating to CCTVs: https://www.daycare.com/story/daycar...o_cameras.html

Here is another couple of threads that has similar comments:
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...highlight=cctv

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ghlight=webcam
That's a great article. I'm interested in the audio portion of it. Does anyone know if there is a Center that has BOTH audio and video internet feed live. I know some States don't allow the audio but I'm not aware of anyone who is doing both live feed for parents. I would imagine there are a number of day cares that HAVE audio and video feeds for their own use but to have it brocasted over the internet is something I haven't seen or heard of yet.

I think there are a lot of privacy issues in place when you do both audio and video live feeds. I can see doing the video because it really only gives a one angle view of what is going on. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good piece of info but not anywhere NEAR the info given when audio and video are together. I can see it being a big selling tool for something that really is a small amount of the total picture of the child in care.

It really wouldn't take the employees very long to figure out where to position themselves to deal with the video surveillance. I can see it being a deterent for the obvious physical stuff. It would be able to tell you who was where when. In order for it to be an effective deterent you would really need someone actually WATCHING the video and correcting behavior daily. The employee who is on camera only changes their behavior or modifies their behavior when they know they are being watched. Having them on camera is very different than having them on camera and having their behavior dealt with because of what was seen on the camera. It would be a good "after the fact" tool as the article mentions.

It would really be tough to do both audio and video. It would be very expensive to run multiple rooms thru one feed and have that live broadcasted. It would be hard to keep staff who had many different people waching them and most of all listening to them. It would also be very difficult to maintain privacy of the kids when you knew all of your direct discussions with your co-workers and you and the child would be live broadcasted.

I could be wrong but I don't think anyone is doing it now. I would think you would have way more liability having the audio and video feed together than having just the video. The audio video would be GREAT for the owner of the business to have for themselves but I can't see it ever being in the interest of the business to have both. It would be a GREAT way to sell the day care BUT I think you would have a really hard time staying in business if you had a large group of parents being able to view and record your staff.
QualiTcare 11:22 PM 04-23-2010
Originally Posted by Ms.Sue:
My son who is now 14 mos old. attends a Christian daycare.

1st don't ever make the mistake to believe in "christian" daycare - they use religion to make people think they are perfect and wonderful - wrong!

I work part time in social work so my schedule isn't usually the same every week.
where is your child' father? Your mom? anyone else to help you.

During that year I started receiving reports from staff that there were children there that neglect was suspected of the parents. I instructed the staff to report their suspicions to the local DCS office.
wow, professionally and legally the staff should of never said anything to you since you are another parent - very unprofessional.

They already went to the director and she wouldn't do anything about the situations.
As a center owner - I would need to have real proof - and not suggestions, or suspicions, etc. Before you actually place that call to Protective services - you better be damned sure and 100% of your information.

I soon heard from a teacher that this person (who now has a open case with DCS and I cannot tell the director because of confidentiality) is coming back to work at the daycare. I questioned the director and she stated that this girl had called and wanted to work there but the director had not returned the call. She also felt that giving her a job there would give her the opportunity to minister this young mother.
My question is that you are mentioning confidentiality ???!!!! - if that were true how would you even know about the parents case????? So, basically you don't support confidentialty either...just a thought...

Then on Wednesday I get a call that my son was hurt at daycare. They said that he hit his eye and had a black eye. When I got the story I thought that he was clumsy like most 14 mos old. Then, I got home and noticed that he wasn't talking (making baby noises) When he finally did I noticed that he had no voice.
did you take him to the emergecy room ? the dr ? or call the daycare to get an answer???

I was off the next day so I didn't see any of the other teachers.
I received a call last night stating that my son got the black eye from the teacher forcing him down onto a cot.

At this point - if you got your information from another 'teacher' - did you call the State and report the daycare??????

I met with the assistant director today that informed me that this isn't the first time a child was hurt in her room and the director will not do anything about it.
Why didn't you meet with the director ?? or go to the owner??? - what is an assistant director repsonsible for????? If your child was injured - you most likely would have met with the director - or turned the daycare in.......Why did you even bother to speak to an "assistant" director ???!!!

Needless to say I pulled both my children out but the big problem is that I live in the smallest county in the U.S. and this is the only daycare.

Good - I am gald to hear that you removed your children - that was the right thing to do.

There is only a few home based daycare's and they are full. What do I do now?
Since you are already in social work - would you be able to open your own daycare business???? If not - you may have to commute farther to find suitable childcare.

I have to quit my job I guess. I have a meeting with the board of directors monday but this doesn't help my daycare situation.
The reason I need someone in the county is because my daughter is starting kindergarten this year and I will need someone before and after school.
Well, honestly, it should be relatively easy to find before/after school care - versus full time daycare.......I would try to find someone for her when she enters kindergareten.

I need to know if anyone would ever trust this daycare again

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Never.

even after restructuring. They have suspended the teacher but how do I know the other teachers arent like this?
Most likely the entire place is unhealthy - and not very open to parents and seem to have a history of hiding these issues - or looking the other way ........don't go back there.
i agree about the christian part not meaning jack. my daughter was in one of the two gymastics programs where i live, and i considered switching her from the one she was in to the other because it had much nicer equipment, etc.

when i went to visit, they had phrases from the bible plastered all over the walls. not just pieces of paper hanging up, but huge, fancy quotes painted all over the place. it was a huge turn off to me. we live in the bible belt, so it wasn't shocking, but not everyone is a christian - and i felt like a gymanstics place should be just that - a gymnastics place. it was simply a marketing ploy, and it made me not want to give them my business for that reason alone.
Tags:abuse, dcs, director, neglect
Reply Up