Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Illness Questions
Magic 12:10 PM 01-11-2017
1...what is your definition of the " common " cold
2. if mom with full blown flu Monday and Johnny comes Tuesday ( no symptoms ) ...what is the chance Johnny is a carrier
Blackcat31 12:23 PM 01-11-2017
Originally Posted by Magic:
1...what is your definition of the " common " cold
2. if mom with full blown flu Monday and Johnny comes Tuesday ( no symptoms ) ...what is the chance Johnny is a carrier
My definition of a common cold is mild symptoms such as a cough, a runny nose and maybe even a stuffy nose but NOTHING that interferes with someone's ability to function "as normal" during our daily activities.

A cold for one child/adult is not the same for another. For example I may exclude a 15 month old with a common cold after 5 days with no improvement but might not apply the same exclusionary rules to a 5 yr old with the same symptoms...kwim?

As for the flu, I exclude the entire family as the actual flu, as in influenza is dangerous and can cause severe illness in those with immature or under developed immune systems.

Flu as in stomach flu (puking, diarrhea etc) I only exclude those with actual symptoms. I never exclude well siblings unless the illness is highly contagious AND I have an infant in care. HTH
Ariana 01:39 PM 01-11-2017
For me common cold is slightly runny nose and slight cough without fever.

I personally don't exclude if one family member has the flu (cold plus fever or stomach flu) because it doesn't guarantee that everyone will get it. I have had kids in my care who've had the stomach flu rip through their homes and it never got passed to me or my kids or kids in care. If I had a very small child or an immunocomprosmised child I would consider it for sure.
organicdclady 11:12 AM 01-12-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
For me common cold is slightly runny nose and slight cough without fever.

I personally don't exclude if one family member has the flu (cold plus fever or stomach flu) because it doesn't guarantee that everyone will get it. I have had kids in my care who've had the stomach flu rip through their homes and it never got passed to me or my kids or kids in care. If I had a very small child or an immunocomprosmised child I would consider it for sure.
I agree with this. I also think that excluding a child that has a family member with the flu is only going to increase that child's chances of contracting the flu.
I do pick up/drop off at the door which I think helps with the spread of illness if family members are sick.
Reply Up