Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Protecting Carpet From Art?
DCMomOf3 09:00 AM 08-11-2010
My daycare rooms are fully carpeted so right now I do messy arts outside, but with fall and winter coming in a few months I will have to bring them back inside. I am planning on getting my 1yo. DCKs involved this year and am not looking forward to paint stained carpets. Do you think just a shower curtain under thier tables is ok? Do you have better ideas?
Crystal 09:04 AM 08-11-2010
Yes to the shower curtain. Even though my floors are tile, I have a clear shower curtain under my easels. I found duck tape that matches my tile and taped the perimeter of the shower curtain to the floor so that it stays in place. Under my tables, I have $20 area rugs, so if they get ruined, it's a cheap replacement, and they look nice.
kidkair 09:07 AM 08-11-2010
A large roll of plastic sheeting like to cover for painting walls might be more economical than a shower curtain. I personally would not do painting inside and focus on other mediums that are easier to clean up. Painting out in the snow is fun to do too.
JenNJ 09:10 AM 08-11-2010
Shower curtains (from Dollar Tree) or the plastic table cloths. Either one worls great when rinsed by the hose after the mess.
Lilbutterflie 09:49 AM 08-11-2010
Canvas drop cloths can be purchased for about $10-$20 at hardware stores. Or fabric stores sometimes also carry cheap plastic (people put it over their table cloths) by the yard. I remember paying about $5 for 3 or 4 yards of it.
Golden Rule 11:26 AM 08-11-2010
If the tables are small enough, you could use those plastic trays, with raised edges, that are intended to go under washing machines to prevent floor damage for hardwoods.

I bought several before I moved into this house for the same reason. Eventually I just let the children sit directly in them (one child per tray) instead of messing up the tables. Clean up was easy, stack them and take them out for a rinse with a garden hose. They stacked and stored easily, too.

I gave them to friends a couple years back or I would post a pic....
DCMom 11:39 AM 08-11-2010
I use carpet mask that is meant for RV's, model homes, etc. It comes on a roll and sticks to the carpet protecting it from spills, etc. In the summer I have 14 kids, so I mask off the entry area and the area under my extra table because the olders kids eat there. I use a double layer and it stands up pretty well.

I use in the winter too when snow and muck get tracked in. Then I don't have to clean my carpeting every 10 minutes.
emosks 11:49 AM 08-11-2010
We have mats under the table that the kids eat at and do their crafts at.
tenderhearts 12:45 PM 08-11-2010
When we did our new carpet we kept large strips so I have that under the preschool table, it's been there for over 2 yrs and it still hasn't had any "accidents" on it. We paint, do plato, all kinds of stuff. The shower curtain is a good idea too.
WImom 01:21 PM 08-11-2010
How long does that carpet mask stuff last? Could I use it under the table and replace it once a month? Can it be wiped off just like a vinyl floor could be?

I have carpet under my Daycare table for art/eating and was wondering how I would keep it clean under there. (Opening next week so I haven't tested it out yet)
Abigail 02:40 PM 08-11-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Yes to the shower curtain. Even though my floors are tile, I have a clear shower curtain under my easels. I found duct tape that matches my tile and taped the perimeter of the shower curtain to the floor so that it stays in place. Under my tables, I have $20 area rugs, so if they get ruined, it's a cheap replacement, and they look nice.
Can you add Duct Tape to your expenses? LOL.....I've even seen it in HOT PINK
DCMom 03:10 PM 08-11-2010
Originally Posted by WImom:
How long does that carpet mask stuff last? Could I use it under the table and replace it once a month? Can it be wiped off just like a vinyl floor could be?

I have carpet under my Daycare table for art/eating and was wondering how I would keep it clean under there. (Opening next week so I haven't tested it out yet)

It lasts a pretty long time~I think it has a lot to do with the type of carpet you have. I have more level loop, commercial style and it has lasted since June. It probably should be replaced now, but I only wanted it for the summer.

If you have a more plush carpet it probably wouldn't last as long. I use 2-3 layers because it is somewhat thin. You wouldn't be able to mop it, but I spot wipe every day..
Tags:carpet cleaner, stains
Reply Up