Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question for Class 1 Daycares
Unregistered 03:12 PM 08-12-2010
Are there any providers out there who have a class 1 daycare (in my state, that means a maximum of 12 children at any one time), who have a full time assistant? I know any provider with that many children at once would need some extra help (for ratio purposes if nothing else). But do you ever hire assistants full time, or are they just part time? How many children do you have on your slowest, least busy days?
I'm a class 1 provider and would like to have my assistant work full time, but I'm not sure it's practical financially. I have to pay $500 a month for rent for my daycare building, buy food and supplies, replace broken toys, etc (you know the costs of owning your own daycare) and several of my children are only part time. Three days a week I only have 10 children at once. The other two days varies, but with no more than 12 children, of course.
Michael 04:45 PM 08-12-2010
What state are you in?
emosks 05:58 PM 08-12-2010
My daycare is licensed for up to 12 kids. We are a Group Home. My "assistant" is actually my business partner. We both own half of the business. That means we make the same amount of money but also pay the same amount of money for bills, groceries, supplies, etc. The only reason I call her my "assistant" is because it's my house and I'm the licensee on the license.

Our slowest day we have 4 paying and 4 of our own here. Our busiest we have 8 paying and 4 of our own. We are open 7-5:45 and she's here usually by 7:30 each morning and stays until the end.
Unregistered 07:40 PM 08-14-2010
Just curious, how do you make it on only 8 paying on your busiest days, with two of you splitting the cost? If I did that my assistant nor I either one would come out with enough to scrap by on, I'm afraid. But then you own your own home it sounds like. I have to pay $500 on rent every month, plus utilities payments, food, pay for my assistant (I pay $8/hr), and all the other costs associated with daycare. Do you and your partner actually make enough of a profit to make it worth it? Not trying to be nosy, I just really would like to have her work full time, but even with her only part time, I have a hard time coming out with enough of a profit to pay my own bills.
Tags:class 1, class a
Reply Up