Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Family leaving, they are being confrontational
hgonzalez 07:26 AM 02-01-2017
I have a family that gave me a 2 week notice and is leaving next week. The child will be going to a center. We have a had a good relationship and I have enjoyed having the child here for almost 3 years.
About 4 months ago, they started saying 'XXX says the other kids won't play with him' and 'XXX says the other kids are mean' and so on and so on. None of it was true.
The child has some issues and I have gone above and beyond with the child. He has 14 bus trips during the week going to special programs via our school district...all which I have to supervise and prepare for.
It feels like the parents are trying to start something with me. My contract says once a notice is given, remaining payments are to be made in cash. Well, they complained about that. I stood my ground and said 'it's just a safeguard and in the contract'. Now today, the parent came in and stated 'when do we get our deposit that we paid you back, we paid for the last 2 weeks of care.'
I told him that I did not take a deposit from them, nor do I ever take a deposit for the last 2 weeks of care. If I ask for a deposit it covers weeks 3 and 4 of care.
They have a few days left here, and I want to enjoy the time I have with the kiddo and not have all of this weirdness surrounding it. It seems so odd. I want to be pleasant and just be done, not have some dark cloud hanging over our heads.
Has anyone ever had a family act like that? It is like they are harboring all of this anger and are taking it out on me.
daycarediva 07:34 AM 02-01-2017
Can you just say "Dcp, this is no longer a good working relationship. Here is a refund in the amount of X for the days you have paid for. Today is dck's last day. Thank you."

and hand them ALL of their things and be DONE.
Josiegirl 09:13 AM 02-01-2017
If you can't do what daycarediva suggested, I'd just grit your teeth, smile, and mentally count the days left. Celebrate each day closer then have a big party on the last day. UNLESS they pull some major stunt between now and then and it's 'here's the door'.
Hope it goes by quickly for you.
lovemydaycare0912 09:33 AM 02-01-2017
They may have been trying to create fake drama as for their reason for leaving to make it seem like they were taking him away from such a horrible place and making it better for him. Idk parents are weird. I think both above posts are great advice and I agree with them.
Ariana 09:55 AM 02-01-2017
Maybe they feel sad and are trying to drum up angry feelings to make the departure easier? Maybe they are just being their true selves now that they no longer need you?

I personalky woukd just tough it out until they were done. I would inundate them with positive stories about the day at pickup time so they don't get a chance to get into any negatives and cut the conversation short. Maybe have DCB ready to go at pickup and get him in and engaged right away in the morning and say "bye mom and dad".... and then walk away from them.

Try your best to ignore it!
Gemma 10:17 AM 02-01-2017
This is why I don't need a notice ...if someone wants to leave, I want them gone yesterday

Hang in there, it'll soon be over
Blackcat31 10:18 AM 02-01-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Maybe they feel sad and are trying to drum up angry feelings to make the departure easier? Maybe they are just being their true selves now that they no longer need you?

exactly what I was thinking while reading the original post
hgonzalez 11:34 AM 02-01-2017
I was thinking that they are trying to make it negative as well.
I just keep greeting them and saying 'have a nice day' etc. Truth is, the kid is a handful and a ton of extra work. But I have enjoyed my time with him and I didn't create some evil scenario to make them leave.
I think they feel guilty about bringing him to a center, and by turning me into some evil person, they will somehow feel that they are forced to do it. But to make something up about a deposit.....that is pretty low.
I really hate this kind of stuff, so dishonest.
Mom2Two 02:59 PM 02-01-2017
If dcb is a handful, maybe they are trying to tell themselves that it's your fault somehow.

My worst dck ever was horrible to have here, but dcm kept trying to make excuses that it was somehow our fault how hard she was for us. Not. true.

E.g. mom would say that dcg complained that DD "wouldn't share toys with her." DD is truly the most gentle, sweet, sensitive, peace-making soul there is. (She doesn't get this from me btw). Dcg was all but possessed, but mom just wouldn't face the reality about her daughter--she just kept saying that dcg was "a normal five year old." Um, no, maybe not quite qualifying for a diagnosis, but "this close" to ODD.
Reply Up