Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>2 Hour Naps @ Daycare?
SomeSimpleGuy 02:39 PM 07-28-2012
My daycare is forcing my 6 and 3 year old children to nap for over 2 hours!

First , is this even legal?

Does anyone , anywhere make there children nap for that long?

Sometimes , I know they nap there for over 2 hours.

My wife doesn't seem to believe me, but I stop in unannounced , and am frequently dissapointed.

I think a 45 min to 1 hour nap is more than standard?

Please help me

Thank you in advance
Childminder 03:24 PM 07-28-2012
Our scheduled rest time is for two hours here also. Imo the three year old needs at least that depending on what he/she sleeps at night. The six year old if here would lay down for a quiet time at the same time and if he/she falls asleep then he/she needs the sleep, if not then he/she would be up after a 30 minute rest and participate in a quiet activity until the others wake.

Here is the recommendation from the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/Features/Sleep/
shelby 03:33 PM 07-28-2012
I know when I was teaching in daycare before I started doing my own, that we were required by the state for nap time to be at least 2 hrs. they stated that 2 hrs was the min. I do not require my older ones to nap, but they have to stay quiet ... and they have to rest for at least an hr. no playing no talking, etc.

Really this is the only time I can even think some days.. It is my break where I can get some stuff done like the dishes done from lunch etc.
youretooloud 04:07 PM 07-28-2012
Two hours is the standard required nap time. It's not even a choice the daycare has. It's been that way since at least the early 80s. In fact, now that I think about it.. I went to a daycare in the early 60s and I had to take a nap then too.

However, I don't understand why a six year old is napping. Can't he or she do quiet time? As far as our own state, it's only required UNTIL kindergarten, and the grade school kids still must rest, but there's no required time limit, and they aren't expected to sleep. In fact, i'm surprised your six year old is sleeping.
daycarediva 04:23 PM 07-28-2012
It's required here as well up to age 5. Rest periods for kids are 5-12. If your 6 year old is napping, then he/she needs the sleep.
BusyBee 06:59 PM 07-28-2012
2 hours is totally standard. Dropping in at naptime? I personally would not be too happy. Any other time of the day is kosher, but naptime is not cool imo.
MaritimeMummy 06:00 AM 07-29-2012
In my opinion, if your children are sleeping those two hours, they NEED it, and aren't being FORCED into anything.

here at my day care, all my kids must have a rest period of 30 minutes. They lay on their mats during that time with a blanket and a look quietly at books. If they fall asleep during that time, they needed it, and I allow them to sleep as long as they need without taking them up, whether that is 20 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, or 3 hours. I stop being quiet in the house after 2 hours so the children can rouse on their own, but I NEVER go in and wake up a sleeping child by telling them it's time to get up.

If they don't fall asleep during that time, they can get up and play quietly.

So again, if your children are sleeping, it doesn't matter their ages, they needed it. You can't force a person (baby, child, or even adult) to sleep if they don't want/need it.

I also agree with the others who say that dropping in at naptime is not acceptable.

Was this not something that was discussed during the interview process? Was it not clearly defined in a parent handbook or contract? What exactly were your expectations? Did you lay them out to the provider? Providers cannot read minds. If she is allowing them time to sleep and they sleep, and she doesn't know that you don't want them to sleep, she can't possibly know that you're angry and will continue doing it.

And yes, it's legal. You can't withhold sleep from a child who needs it. THAT is illegal.
Truly Scrumptious 07:10 AM 07-29-2012
I agree with KHiltz...you can't force anyone to sleep if they don't want to. And 2-3 hours is the standard naptime for child cares here. In my experience, parents that want their children to sleep less during the day are having a hard time enforcing bedtime in their own homes.

Dropping in at naptime is rude and inconsiderate and would be cause for an immediate dismissal.

And, if you're so frequently dissapointed when you drop in, then find other child care. But, you'll be hard pressed to find a child care that will let parents be in charge.
Blackcat31 07:36 AM 07-29-2012
Originally Posted by SomeSimpleGuy:

My wife doesn't seem to believe me, but I stop in unannounced , and am frequently dissapointed.

Please help me

Thank you in advance
I am sorry that you are frequently dissapointed in your child care and the services they are providing, however, this is an excellent example of why communication is extremely important between parents and providers.

You need to talk openly with your provider about what your expectations are. Are your child falling asleep and actually sleeping the full two hours or are they laying on their mats awake the entire time?

If they are actually sleeping the full time, they are obviously in need of a nap that long. If they are just laying there awake, it may be time to find other child care that better suits your childrens needs.

I also want to point out that the amount of time a 6 year old needs for nap and what a 3 year old needs for nap is probably very different.

Please communicate with you provider about this issue. Whether other providers have 2 hour, 4 hour or no nap time at all should make no difference in what YOUR children need. Whether others agree with your provider or with you should really have no bearing on this, as it is YOUR job as a parent to know your child's needs and find suitable care that meets those individual needs.

Not all providers have nap times and not all providers discourage drop ins during the day (including nap time). I hope you can work this out with your provider and do what is best for your children.
AnneCordelia 05:15 AM 07-30-2012
At my daycare all children under at 4 have a 2 hour nap. This is clearly laid out in my handbook and all my clients understand that their child is not an exception.

All children 4 and over are able to stay up for nap time but they must have a quiet activity (book, colouring, puzzles).
Unregistered 04:48 PM 12-06-2012
I agree that if they fall asleep they needed it, or fell asleep from boredom of not being engaged by the preschool teacher, I did ask before I enrolled my son was told he did not have to sleep but had to be quiet during this time, ok fine. Since he started I struggle every nite to get him to fall asleep he is still awake very late, come to find out he is sleeping for 2+ hours everyday. No wonder I can't get him down at a decent time. We were spoiled at his previous school, Holy Cross rocked! But we had to move out of state, I'm talking to them tomorrow about these 2 hour naps at his new school, we may be on the search for a new place.
kitykids3 12:22 PM 12-07-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I agree that if they fall asleep they needed it, or fell asleep from boredom of not being engaged by the preschool teacher, I did ask before I enrolled my son was told he did not have to sleep but had to be quiet during this time, ok fine. Since he started I struggle every nite to get him to fall asleep he is still awake very late, come to find out he is sleeping for 2+ hours everyday. No wonder I can't get him down at a decent time. We were spoiled at his previous school, Holy Cross rocked! But we had to move out of state, I'm talking to them tomorrow about these 2 hour naps at his new school, we may be on the search for a new place.
Which one? The 3 yr old or 6 year old.
I don't force a kid to nap - you can't make them sleep. However we do lay down on our mats for 2-3 hours, from approximately 12:30-3. All my kiddos are under 5 and sleep for 2+ hours on their own. Schoolagers I have had in past usually don't, but I do have them rest for a half hour. If they are still awake, then they can get up and do something quiet.
Those 2 hours of nap are needed for most kids under 5. Occasionally I have had some 4 year olds grow out of them, but if your 3 year old is sleeping, then let him sleep.
If it is disrupting night time sleep, then talk with the provider about it. It is standard for 2+ hour nap for 3 year olds. Personally I am curious as to what you are considering 'late' as far as bedtime. I would not be waking my 3 year olds up after 45 minutes. Communication with your provider is best for your child. Perhaps you both can experiment a little.
Also, although I allow it (with notification), visiting during naptime is very disruptive and I would not be happy with it either. Why would you be making unannounced stops during naptime? If you feel the need to check up, then you need to work it out with your provider or move on. I would not want clients feeling they needed to make unannounced visits just to check up on things here. You've got to be able to trust your provider and vice versa.

ETA: 2 hours IS standard for under 5. I let them get up after a half hour if awake. That has never happened with a 3 yr old with me, but 'quiet time' if still awake is standard too.
crazydaycarelady 02:14 PM 12-14-2012
I agree that 2 hours is the standard nap time but once my dckids outgrow a nap they no longer have to lay down. They usually do something quiet or watch TV so the younger kids can sleep. I can't even imagine that a 6yo would need a regular nap.

I have never laid a 6yo down for nap and I have been doing this a long time. I think if he was able to go to sleep at a decent hour at night he probably would not be so tired the next day.
Country Kids 02:20 PM 12-14-2012
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I agree that 2 hours is the standard nap time but once my dckids outgrow a nap they no longer have to lay down. They usually do something quiet or watch TV so the younger kids can sleep. I can't even imagine that a 6yo would need a regular nap.
I actually napped every day at 6 years old. Fell asleep the same time every day in first grade (afternoon story time). To this day I can take a nap if given the chance. Some people actually are nappers and need them to function.
renodeb 08:33 AM 03-25-2013
When you showed up unannounced what did you witness? In most states we are required to have a nap/rest time. I think it is wrong of your child care to "force a nap". It is more unusual for a 6 year old to not fall asleep at all. I must say that I don't have many older kids in my care but in the past I would have the tv on real low or have them read or something quiet while others were asleep. They didn't have to sleep but they had to be quiet. My nap/rest time is two hours as well and most do sleep for that whole time. If they wake before the others they have to be quiet until the others wake but they certainly don't have to sleep. Are you saying that there forced to sleep that whole time or just be on there mat the whole time? (big difference!. Most daycares are around two hours depending on age groups, that does seem a little long for a 6 y/o! I would maybe start looking for new dc? No child should be forced. Is it a home dc? Mixed ages? That may make it harder to have seperate spaces where the older child can just do a quite activity til others wake. It seems that this Dad is being ganged up on a bit. I think 2 hours is the norm in most dc's. They may not sleep the whole time but they have to be quiet.
Cradle2crayons 09:00 PM 04-10-2013
I require nap time for all kids 5 and under who are here all day. That nap time is from 1230 pm until whenever they wake up. My sibling group's parents told me even at home on the weekends they have "sleeping trouble at night" and refuse to take naps at home. They are my first two asleep here and on date nights for parents I've kept them overnight without the FIRST problem.

HOWEVER, from the other side, when my now ten year old stayed in a daycare setting years ago, both licensed and unlicensed, they had trouble getting her to nap and if she did nap, bedtime was a nightmare.

So, I'd have to say, this issue I think is completely individual and should be handled such. My almost 5 year old son doesn't like naps, but still needs them, and does take them, no option. My 14 month old dcg takes two naps while in my care. At first, I was doing the one nap time and she was irritable by 1000 am and by nap time was so tired she didn't nap well. Now that its twice a day, she's doing awesome. Yet another scenario, my developmentally and physically delayed precious dcg is a late afternoon arrival (around 400 pm) and is put in bed same time as one other dcg and my personal kids and is picked up around midnight with my other late dck. So all of my kids are very different lol
Unregistered 09:07 AM 04-11-2013
I have done home daycare for over 16 plus years! It never ceases to amaze or sadden me that some parents ( I realize not all) have their children in daycare for 8 or more hours a day, pick them up 5pm or later, rush home to feed them, haul the kids to activities several nights out of the week and then come to daycare the next morning, frustrated with the provider that their child fell asleep at 9:00p the night before instead of 8pm! Yep it must be that they are are napping way too long at daycare, nevermind that there possibly is no bedtime routine, kids are being dragged around all evening and then rushed home and expected to fall asleep immediately! In some cases the parents I have had over the years have told me that bedtime is at such and such a time, I know what time they are picking up their child from my house...many times they are spending a max of 2-3hrs per day with their child! The parents are coming home exhausted from their workday, and have little energy or paitence to spend with their own child, they don't want to deal with bedtime behaviors and can't wait to lay their child down to have some "me" time! I have bitten my tongue many times when a parent has asked me to stop napping their child because they are not going to bed at night for them! I would love to have the guts to say..."Maybe your child missed you yesterday and just needs some extra time with mom!" Yes kids do act up with they want attention! Sad and frustrating from a providers stand point as well!
Unregistered 04:57 AM 07-23-2013
90 min to 2 hours in normal. And visiting at nap time is not acceptable. It disrupts not only your child's routine, but that of the other children. Some children wont sleep at night, if they miss their afternoon nap, because their over tired. I have a new parent that dosent want their toddler to nap. Schudule was clearly explained at interview and parent explained their child nornally napped for 2 hours. However the child is staying up past bedtime and the parent figures taking away nap at my house will solve the problem. FLASH! you cant force a child to stay awake either. Better to nap eariler in the afternoon on routine, then force them to stay awake and have them fall to sleep in the late afternoon. Children need 12 to 14 hours of sleep.
Jack Sprat 05:27 AM 07-23-2013
We nap everyday from 1:30 - 3:30 ( or whenever the kids wake). This is for everyone 5 and under. If the children fall asleep then great. After 30 minutes of quite they can read books, color, etc. If a child falls asleep then imo they need sleep. I have had one parent request her son not be allowed to sleep. Well, he is falling asleep 4 out of 5 days and still going to bed at his normal 10:00 time at home. We are busy and active and their little bodies need rest. Even my 11 yr old will take a nap. As kids enter puberty they need more rest as well.
Unregistered 03:36 PM 07-23-2013
Laundrymom here. Don't know why I can't log in. BUT
My advice.
For parents who have trouble getting their children to bed at night when they take a nap at daycare. Get them up three hours earlier in the morning. They'll be plenty tired by the time evening rolls around. More time with your child is more important than a few hours of beauty sleep. At least that's how I've done it for 26 years with my own children so I got to spend extra time with just them before the daycare children arrived.
Unregistered 12:21 PM 08-20-2013
I am completely shocked that so many people think that if a kid happens to fall asleep while being forced to lie down and stay quiet for 2 hours, he/she MUST need a nap. WRONG. I have 4 1/2 year old triplets who have always woken up on their own between 5:30 and 7am. I can count on one hand the number of times they have slept past 8:00 in their lives. Even when they don't fall asleep until midnight, they wake up by 6-7am. So Laundrymom's idea about waking them up 3 hours earlier? Ummmm...you want me to wake my kids up at 3:30am? Horrible advice.

On daycare days, my kids are up at 6:30am. Their school puts them down at noon for a 2-hour nap that turns into a 3-hour nap. They often don't fall asleep until the 1:30-2:00 mark, and they let them sleep until they wake up. Then at 3:30 they give them a nice sugary snack. So is it any wonder why my kids aren't ready for bed by 7-8 at night??? Why is it that during the summers they can fall asleep by 7-8pm and wake up at 7am and go through the entire day without a nap, but during the school year, they suddenly NEED a 2 hour nap and only sleep from 11pm-6:30am? They literally lie in bed awake for hours before falling asleep around 11pm, 1-2 hours after MY bedtime. It's actually unhealthy for a toddler to sleep to regularly sleep so little at night. They need a good, long stretch of sleep at night much more than a nap during the day.

And, honestly, I couldn't care less that the teachers need a break and quiet time during the day. That's a piss poor excuse to force my kid to lie down quietly for a 2-hour stretch. Child care centers and preschools should provide enough coverage to allow their teachers to take official lunches and breaks - my children shouldn't have to be forced to sit on a cot to accommodate such a break schedule.
Blackcat31 12:44 PM 08-20-2013
I am completely shocked that so many people think that if a kid happens to fall asleep while being forced to lie down and stay quiet for 2 hours, he/she MUST need a nap. WRONG. I have 4 1/2 year old triplets who have always woken up on their own between 5:30 and 7am. I can count on one hand the number of times they have slept past 8:00 in their lives. Even when they don't fall asleep until midnight, they wake up by 6-7am. So Laundrymom's idea about waking them up 3 hours earlier? Ummmm...you want me to wake my kids up at 3:30am? Horrible advice.

On daycare days, my kids are up at 6:30am. Their school puts them down at noon for a 2-hour nap that turns into a 3-hour nap. They often don't fall asleep until the 1:30-2:00 mark, and they let them sleep until they wake up. Then at 3:30 they give them a nice sugary snack. So is it any wonder why my kids aren't ready for bed by 7-8 at night??? Why is it that during the summers they can fall asleep by 7-8pm and wake up at 7am and go through the entire day without a nap, but during the school year, they suddenly NEED a 2 hour nap and only sleep from 11pm-6:30am? They literally lie in bed awake for hours before falling asleep around 11pm, 1-2 hours after MY bedtime. It's actually unhealthy for a toddler to sleep to regularly sleep so little at night. They need a good, long stretch of sleep at night much more than a nap during the day.

And, honestly, I couldn't care less that the teachers need a break and quiet time during the day. That's a piss poor excuse to force my kid to lie down quietly for a 2-hour stretch. Child care centers and preschools should provide enough coverage to allow their teachers to take official lunches and breaks - my children shouldn't have to be forced to sit on a cot to accommodate such a break schedule.
If you KNOW your children do not require a daytime nap, why would you enroll them in a program that gives them a nap then?

There are LOTS of providers that don't require kids to nap/rest and there are also providers who are required by the state to give children in their care a rest or nap time.

NOT all facilities operate the same way, which is why it is extremely important that you, as a parent do YOUR job and find a provider that meets YOUR family's needs.

If I knew my child did not require a nap and the facility I had them enrolled in made them take one, I'd be finding a new daycare.

Providers do what works for them and parents need to do what works for them.

Seems like an easy solution to me.
SilverSabre25 07:04 AM 08-21-2013

That costs more. Are you a parent who is willing to pay the extra cost? Most aren't. And if you are, I recommend checking into a nanny or other type of caregiver who can provide the nap-less schedule...but you'll still have to pay for it.
MyAngels 08:22 AM 08-21-2013

I agree with BC - why haven't you moved your children to a program that meets your needs? You are in charge of making decisions that are best for your kids, and it doesn't seem like you're doing that in this case.
kimmills 11:30 PM 09-05-2013
I agree with what others have said here. It's a standard requirement of 2 hr nap time and nothing that day care centers can do about it. Also most day cares wouldn't take your arriving unannounced too lightly.
SunshineMama 11:54 AM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by SomeSimpleGuy:

Please help me

Thank you in advance
What do you mean by forcing? Are they holding your children down until they fall asleep?

All of my daycare kids, and my own children, nap for about 2 or more hours (and my own kids sleep about 11 hours at night as well). Kids play hard at daycare, and need rest for their bodies and minds to grow. A 2 hour nap, or even more, isn't abnormal at all, in fact, it is the standard. If your children are falling asleep, that means that their body needs it. If they weren't tired, they wouldn't be falling asleep. My kids would be super crabs if they only napped 45 minutes to an hour. Naps make happier, healthier kids.

I do not, however, have my kids over 5 nap. Is your 6 year old sleeping for the entire 2 hours? Maybe they could read a book, or do another quiet activity? My 5 year old daughter does not nap, but she sleeps 12 hours at night.
Unregistered 05:59 AM 02-15-2014
At my daycare we are scheduled for a 2-2 1/2 nap time and whoever doesnt want to sleep doesnt have to but they still have to rest even if its just for a little bit, specially the little ones, since it helps their development. I was also thinking, shouldnt the 6 year old be in kindergarten? And if he/she is in fact going, even if it's half day, don't you think he/she be tired from playing pretty much the whole morning? Usually if the kids are not tired they won't sleep so there's not really a way to 'force' them. However, I do wake them up after a max of 2 1/2 hours because then it can get tricky for parents to get them to bed early at night and I believe daycare is a provider/parent teamwork and I know that parents get home tired too and the last thing they want is having their child running around the house at 10 o'clock at night.
grateday 04:35 PM 02-17-2014
Although there is a routine, who actually sleeps week to week varies.
There are many reasons why kids don't sleep:
Stimulated by other children in the room
Stimulated by the room and what is in it-sound/light/heat/texture
Wanting to play and seeking stimulation and would rather not sleep
If its Monday and they are coming in from a different weekend routine at home
If they are older than 3 sometimes it is more difficult
If they did or did not sleep the night before, if they did not nap the day before
If there is no routine at home or differs greatly from your own
If they are naturally irregular sleepers
If they naturally require less sleep than another child
Varies on the individual need of the child
The crasher kids that the only time they sleep is when they crash out of exhaustion (No one's fault)--Kids that have a lack of ability to feel sleepy
Also, if there is a new child in care or if the child is not regularly in care can effect the kids napping
Lack of physical activity earlier in the day or stimulating activity
Too many interruptions in routine of a day
Kids picking up on stress and purposefully acting up because any attention is better than no attention
Nutrition Nutrition Nutrition- Sugar, caffeine, highly preserved/processed foods, food additives, artificial colors, lack of variety in diet and nutrition. Being hungry or thirsty and not having that need met prior to nap
(None of these things are to say that something is someones fault, just things to investigate as a parent and provider)
Lack of comfort in the environment- this includes whether the child feels loved and accepted in the daycare

Effect of kiddos starting the nap at 3pm
***Can cause a late going to bed time but not always because it depends on the needs and what is going on with that individual child

Effect of kids state of mind not resting at all in my childcare:
***Short fused children-less able to deal with one another
This is in the form of crying, yelling, hitting. They become so tired they cannot use proper social skills with one another. They can get more clumsy and fall more often because they are paying attention less. Finally, they are less able to follow any sort of rules or really pay attention to any sort of activity or teaching.

This is a safety risk because:
-They can hurt each other
-Get hurt

This can cause a major stress in the childcare if children are not in sync and able to focus. It can lead the provider to make decisions about whether or not a child should be in there care.

Should a provider force a kid to take a nap? No
Should the parents work with the provider? Yes. Yes. Yes.......I am not saying providers are perfect parents and they always do things just so with there own kids or that other children's parents should listen to a daycare provider but there should be some agreement and some sort of meeting the daycare in the middle somewhere or it just is not a good fit for your setting. Some parents and providers are very my way or no way. It really is a team effort for the parents, provider, and all of the children. It is not a mistake but a constant learning experience, always question what is ethical and right and how it can be improved. It can work but we have to make it work together.

Says the provider who's kid crashed on a Monday at 5pm because of many of the reasons above=)

I have had rigid parents here but they usually had been through a few childcare's and have an older child. I have had disagreements with more rigid parents. I have had disagreements with other parents and I like that they are open enough to speak with me and I with them. Rigid first time parents don't usually like my style from the get go and just go straight to a center or struggle to find care.

Rigid parents want everything just a certain way for there child with disregard for you, disregard for other children in your care. They want more than what you can provide. I look at it as though the children should all have the same level of care. If they have an allergy or disability - I work on that but above all they are all getting the same level of care. It is not fair and children know when someone is treated different and then they all want what the other has.
Unregistered 09:24 AM 02-27-2014
My provider whom I have been with since my oldest was 1 and is now a kindergartner and currently my 4 year old child goes too makes my 6 year old lie down with the group if he needs care for a day that school is out. I have asked my provider if he can stay up during nap time and do a quiet activity as he is very able to do so and she said he has to 'nap/lie down' with the rest of them because she doesn't have a spot for him and doesn't have a helper to be with him. I don't know, I am totally fine with my 4 year old napping as it's the schedule and it's never been a problem, but I just don't see why she would make a kindergartner who is used to a full day program at school lie down. He hates it. I am just curious what other people's take on it is.
I am very thankful for my provider as I have been with her for so long, but I don't see the rationale.
Thanks.
Unregistered 10:36 AM 02-27-2014
I have been with my provider for 5 years, my oldest is in Kindergarten and my youngest is 4 and goes daily. In times where my oldest doesn't have school I have to take him there and she requires him to lay down. I recently asked if he could stay up and just do quiet time as he is perfectly able being he is in all day Kindergarten. She said she doesn't have a place for him to do just that. He hates lying down with the little kids and I just don't really agree with it. I am all for naps don't get me wrong, but for a 6 1/2 year old, I am a bit disappointed by her response and am just curious what other providers think about this.
I appreciate your input.
JoseyJo 07:25 PM 02-27-2014
I have been with my provider for 5 years, my oldest is in Kindergarten and my youngest is 4 and goes daily. In times where my oldest doesn't have school I have to take him there and she requires him to lay down. I recently asked if he could stay up and just do quiet time as he is perfectly able being he is in all day Kindergarten. She said she doesn't have a place for him to do just that. He hates lying down with the little kids and I just don't really agree with it. I am all for naps don't get me wrong, but for a 6 1/2 year old, I am a bit disappointed by her response and am just curious what other providers think about this.
I appreciate your input.
Some states require that all children lay down for a quiet time each day. Kansas does. My surveyor said that every child in care, regardless of age, must lay down for a minimum of 30 minutes. If the child is still awake after that time then another quiet activity can be given to them, such as reading books quietly on their mats. If the child falls asleep within that time frame we are not supposed to wake them up.
Patches 07:31 PM 02-27-2014
I appreciate your input.
Does he fall asleep? My son is also 6 and in full day kindergarten and on weekends and no school days he naps. He doesn't want to all the time, but onc ehe lays down, he's out. He obviously needs the sleep .
If your son falls asleep, I wouldn't worry about it. If he doesn't, maybe he could look st books on his cot as long as hes quiet (and as long as your provider is ok with that). Sorry, I really don't see this as that big of a deal.
blandino 09:38 PM 02-27-2014
I appreciate your input.
I understand both sides. As a provider, allowing a child to have "quiet time" instead of nap, still means a good deal of attention and responsibility. During nap time, I need to do dishes, finish cleaning up from lunch, reply to e-mails, and have a lunch break for myself. Any time I have agreed to let a child have "quiet time" they have needed me multiple times during that time. That is my only quiet time/lunch break/bathroom break of the day, plus I still have work responsibilities to get done. Plus, the child usually makes some sort of noise to wake the others. I really count on having that quiet time each day. I allow all my kids to bring books to their mats and read them while falling asleep or when they wake up. At 6.5, your son is probably reading a little ? He could have a longer book to read each day, while laying down.
Unregistered 10:50 PM 02-27-2014
I appreciate your input.

Even adults need naps
nannyde 09:18 AM 02-28-2014
I appreciate your input.
An awake kid is a kid that needs direct physical care and supervision. Doesn't matter if he is awake and quiet or awake and running house. Awake means up and up means no break.

Just switch him to another program. He has outgrown nap and your provider requires that all kids in her care have nap. It's not personal.
Play Care 10:54 AM 02-28-2014
I appreciate your input.
I agree with Nannyde. I would look specifically for a school aged program that doesn't have naps/quiet time. Your provider has told you what she can offer, so now you have to decide where to go from there.
Unregistered 08:29 PM 03-02-2014
Sleeping children don't need supervision ? I work in a center and we would be fired if we walked out of the room while the children were sleeping, we also have to be in ratio the entire time. How is it ok to leave sleeping children alone in a room because you are a home provider ?
Unregistered 07:02 AM 09-14-2015
It is a silly policy to regulate naps. Every child is different. Those of us that have more than 1 child know that. In fact, I have twins. 1 twin needs about 1 hour more sleep than the other. As they are preschoolers, they fall into the cdc definition of "needing" 11-12 hours. So, one of my twins actually is smack dab in the middle (needs 11.5). The other is on the lower end, needing only 10.5. A daycare that forces a policy of 2 hours at naptime therefore ensures this child doesn't fall asleep until 9:30 or 10pm at night. That's not healthy.
bklsmum 07:12 AM 09-14-2015
It is a silly policy to regulate naps. Every child is different. Those of us that have more than 1 child know that. In fact, I have twins. 1 twin needs about 1 hour more sleep than the other. As they are preschoolers, they fall into the cdc definition of "needing" 11-12 hours. So, one of my twins actually is smack dab in the middle (needs 11.5). The other is on the lower end, needing only 10.5. A daycare that forces a policy of 2 hours at naptime therefore ensures this child doesn't fall asleep until 9:30 or 10pm at night. That's not healthy.
No daycare forces sleep but if they children are sleeping for the full two hours then they need the full two hours. At my daycare the kids don't have to sleep but they do have to lay quietly and not disturb the kids that are sleeping. If they do not fall asleep after a reasonable amount of time they can look at books quietly on the mats but everyone is laying down quietly for two hours here.
Rockgirl 07:16 AM 09-14-2015
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
No daycare forces sleep but if they children are sleeping for the full two hours then they need the full two hours. At my daycare the kids don't have to sleep but they do have to lay quietly and not disturb the kids that are sleeping. If they do not fall asleep after a reasonable amount of time they can look at books quietly on the mats but everyone is laying down quietly for two hours here.
That's how I do it here as well. In fact, that's how my state regulates rest time. Legally, it's not even an option to just let them stay up.
Unregistered 08:01 AM 09-14-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
That's how I do it here as well. In fact, that's how my state regulates rest time. Legally, it's not even an option to just let them stay up.
======================================================
In Canada (Ontario), the law says a child must be offered a rest period, but does not have to sleep, and that sleep/rest/quiet time should be afforded the child based on need. Every child is different.

http://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/150137

(2) Every licensee shall ensure that the program in each child care centre it operates is arranged so that,

(a) each child in a licensed toddler or preschool group who receives child care for six hours or more in a day has a rest period not exceeding two hours in length; and

(b) a child in a licensed toddler, preschool or kindergarten group is permitted to sleep, rest or engage in quiet activities based on the child’s needs.
Rockgirl 08:14 AM 09-14-2015
======================================================
In Canada (Ontario), the law says a child must be offered a rest period, but does not have to sleep, and that sleep/rest/quiet time should be afforded the child based on need. Every child is different.

http://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/150137

(2) Every licensee shall ensure that the program in each child care centre it operates is arranged so that,

(a) each child in a licensed toddler or preschool group who receives child care for six hours or more in a day has a rest period not exceeding two hours in length; and

(b) a child in a licensed toddler, preschool or kindergarten group is permitted to sleep, rest or engage in quiet activities based on the child’s needs.
I didn't say the child is required to sleep here. I was agreeing with a previous poster who stated a quiet rest time was offered, and children who didn't fall asleep were offered quiet activities.
Rockgirl 07:14 AM 09-14-2015
The great thing is that each parent can choose to not enroll their child in a program that doesn't fit their needs/parenting style.
Unregistered 01:43 PM 03-14-2017
Who's selfish? Providers don't need breaks from wiping butts, noses, chasing a bunch of kids around?? Is that the regard You have for those who take care of your most precious possesion? My parents bring me flowers and wine! Do you think that your child can't be replaced that same day that you leave for another provider? You obviously just want to put your kids to bed so you can have me time. Just like the parents who don't want their kids to have any screen time during the 9+hrs at daycare so that they can park them in front of a screen at home. You made the decision to breed, did you not consider the sacrifices.
Tags:demanding parents, group care, nap times, naptime issues, no naps, parental life choices, parents wanting special, sleep - length, the post that would not end
Reply Up