Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ugh I Hate This Kind Of News
spud912 11:39 AM 08-20-2015
This is a local news story about unlicensed child care providers here in Arizona. One in particular had two infant deaths in the past few years. I hate these stories because I operate LEGALLY unlicensed, but these stories make everyone who operates out of the home appear to be so unprofessional. We are not all that bad!
http://www.abc15.com/news/local-news...ax-regulations

I already get calls like this all the time:
Me: Hello?
Parent: Oh, I was calling a daycare.
Me: Yes, this is spud with xyz daycare.
Parent: Oh, is this a center?
Me: This is an IN-HOME daycare.
Parent: Ok, bye.
Ariana 11:45 AM 08-20-2015
They definitely give the rest of us a bad name. Most of these providers don't even know the rules and regulations surrounding what they do for a living. I just had a discussion on FB about regulations that were passed years ago that a provider was arguing didn't exist. UGH.
littletots 12:40 PM 08-20-2015
In Ohio a unlicensed fcp can watch 6 or less. Many charge $10-15 a day vs licensed $30-35. Such a sad situation. Parents need to work and trust fcp with important role as caretaker and remodel.
Baby Beluga 01:18 PM 08-20-2015
Originally Posted by spud912:
This is a local news story about unlicensed child care providers here in Arizona. One in particular had two infant deaths in the past few years. I hate these stories because I operate LEGALLY unlicensed, but these stories make everyone who operates out of the home appear to be so unprofessional. We are not all that bad!

Spud, I read this exact article about an hour ago and had the exact same thought you did.
Laurel 01:45 PM 08-20-2015
Kind of like cops. A few bad apples make everyone look bad.

Laurel
Thriftylady 02:57 PM 08-20-2015
I hate it also. I am legally unlicensed as well, and feel like I am a pretty good provider. Of course we could all always improve lol. But people are scared these days.
284878 04:55 AM 08-21-2015
Originally Posted by spud912:

Tom Copeland did a blog on answering the phone. He said answer by say
Xyz dAycare, spud speaking.
It sound more professional and more likey to keep them on the on line to explain or engage them in conversation .

Mi does not allow unliecnced daycares for any non rated care. There was a case few years ago (about ten or so) when an unliecnced dc lost a baby. She had been sleeping him in the bath tub, he woke and turned on the water drowning himself.
Within the last 6 months, someone on FB posted looking for care. I posted the state link to all local dc, another couple dc post they had openings, some unliecnced posted they were available, ugh. Then some woman pop up and posted not to use a home dc, only center. Because her son was there at the unlicensed dc when the baby died and all hdc are bad. (not in those excat words, but you get my point) another dc tried to change her mind but it did not work. If I had known at the time that what she was referring to an unliecnecd / illegal DC, I would pointed that out.
KidGrind 05:19 AM 08-21-2015
Doesn’t think this article makes us look bad.

Any person can google childcare deaths:

In-home
Licensed
Military
Center
Unlicensed
Illegal
Nanny

All of the above will come up. Injuries and deaths can happen on anyone’s watch whether quality, below standards or negligent.

I’ve gotten a couple of calls and they wanted a center. It was no skin off my nose. I just don’t want any client or kid in my home. I want families in my home who want the program and environment I offer.
spud912 07:28 AM 08-21-2015
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
Doesn’t think this article makes us look bad.

Any person can google childcare deaths:

In-home
Licensed
Military
Center
Unlicensed
Illegal
Nanny

All of the above will come up. Injuries and deaths can happen on anyone’s watch whether quality, below standards or negligent.

I’ve gotten a couple of calls and they wanted a center. It was no skin off my nose. I just don’t want any client or kid in my home. I want families in my home who want the program and environment I offer.
Unfortunately, many parents do not look at it from a logical point of view. You can already see comments posted on local Facebook groups and under the news article not to go with home daycare .

I get about 3 calls a week that are disappointed that I am not a center. It definitely gets old after awhile .
spud912 07:29 AM 08-21-2015
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Kind of like cops. A few bad apples make everyone look bad.

Laurel
Yes! My dh is in law enforcement. Talk about the two most underwhelming professions nowadays ......in home daycare and law enforcement .
Tags:death at daycare, unlicensed providers
Reply Up