Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What to Do, What to Do
Thriftylady 05:19 AM 08-21-2015
Well I got a text last night that my temporary DCB won't be back. Grandma was thinking mom would be here next week or the following but wasn't really sure. I got a text from her last night that mom was here and wanted to keep him, I understand that grandma has had him since July 4th.

Thing is I knew he was temporary when I took him on, but I still hold a deposit for the final week which I apply with notice. I was going to apply it next week, since we knew mom was coming soon. So I am now feeling split. I had no actual notice (not sure grandma did either). Grandma texted me last night and asked if she owed me anything, I said no. She had already paid for today but DCB won't be here. Grandma has been the best DCP I ever had, always lets me know what is up with scheduling, always bringing something to share, cherries, popcorn, ice cream once.

I am kind of learning towards refunding the deposit. Normally I offer NO refunds. What would you do?
rosieteddy 05:45 AM 08-21-2015
I would not refund the deposit.They were aware that it was applied with notice to last weeks care. You did a service to this family by taking such a short term contract.Many providers would have not bothered.Keep the deposit and do not feel bad about it.
Josiegirl 09:36 AM 08-21-2015
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I would not refund the deposit.They were aware that it was applied with notice to last weeks care. You did a service to this family by taking such a short term contract.Many providers would have not bothered.Keep the deposit and do not feel bad about it.
I'd feel the same way. While it was nice of gm to bring all the extras and I know you appreciated it a lot, it really doesn't have anything to do with paying a deposit. You can consider her text to be her notice and even though dck isn't coming next week, she still needed to give you notice, right?
Blackcat31 09:45 AM 08-21-2015
You have a policy.

The parent (or grandparent) agreed to AND abided by this policy.

Why would you feel bad about that and feel as if you should return the deposit?

Because she was a good family?

Has your landlord ever felt bad/refunded you because you are a good renter and pay your rent on time?
littletots 10:26 AM 08-21-2015
I agree. Keep deposit. Don't feel bad. You did good by doing temp care.
CraftyMom 12:18 PM 08-21-2015
I agree, no refund. It was very short notice, why should you lose money because mom showed up and decided to keep him?
LovetheSun 12:50 PM 08-21-2015
I would not refund because you are at lost. And who knows maybe grandma will be so happy about your kind gesture that she will share around and talk about to other then that would be bad for you.

But since you seems to really like them and that grandma was so kind, maybe you can offer to still have DCB come at least once this week so that Grandma and Mom can do something just the two of them? I have a soft spot for great parents and would probably give a little goodbye gift (even just homemade cookies)

They probably think is fair that you just keep the deposit since is a last minute notice.
lblanke 02:08 PM 08-21-2015
Keep it. She hasn't asked for it back and is not expecting it. If you want to extend a nice gesture, then send a card with a short handwritten note saying what a pleasure it was to keep DCB and work with her. If you have a cute picture of DCB or some of his artwork, you could send that along with it, or take a picture of it (or him at your DC) on your phone and create a cute card (cane make it for less than 50 cents) and send it to her.
Tags:deposit, refund, refunding fees
Reply Up