Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>ARGHHHH Wasps!!
Josiegirl 10:22 AM 08-24-2015

Hate hornets of any kind. My neighbor pointed out a wasp nest in my crab apple tree last night; hadn't even noticed it and have no idea how it got so big without seeing it. It's the size of a small bowling ball. I know what I have to do but am scared to death of wasps. They give me the creeps.
He had a nest that fell out of a tree that was way bigger than this one he said. It's out of the way so not really a hazard but I've got to get rid of this one. I know you're supposed to spray at night when they're all in the nest. But other than that and running like he!! to get away, do you have any other suggestions?
e.j. 11:40 AM 08-24-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I know you're supposed to spray at night when they're all in the nest. But other than that and running like he!! to get away, do you have any other suggestions?
That's is what my husband does and so far, it's worked for him.

My sister has used a pest control company to get rid of a couple of really big nests in her trees. If I didn't have my husband to do the dirty work for me, I think I'd do the same. I hate wasps and bees!
CalCare 11:49 AM 08-24-2015
Oh my gosh! I would definitely just call pest control. It would never enter my mind that I would take care of it myself! If you are down to try, more power to ya!
laundrymom 01:38 PM 08-24-2015
Where do you live. Does it freeze?
Josiegirl 03:12 PM 08-24-2015
It does freeze here but probably not for another 2 months or so. I did think about waiting but don't feel very comfortable doing that. Does anyone have any idea what pest control would charge?
Do nests usually only have one entrance/exit hole because I can clearly see one hole and I think I could do it(shaking in my boots at all times). It's close enough to my front door that I think I can make a mad dash before they figure out what's going on. Not crazy about the idea, that's for sure.
Play Care 03:53 PM 08-24-2015
if you feel it's too big, I would call around and get a couple of quotes. What I learned is that prices vary wildly from business to business in pest control.

That said, if you do it at night, you shouldn't have any issues. I am a wimp when it comes to that stuff but I've always gotten rid of the nests around the house.
Magic 06:32 AM 08-25-2015
We are having a horrible bug year here...due to warm dry winter and hot very dry summer
and I have been fighting wasps all summer
in the play area, green house , under eves ex....swamed by many month ago in green house , only 2 bites out of beening covered ...but man they hurt
so
had a hornet/ wasp spray
10 bucks at many stores
wait for night when they are all in bed and yes spray
you dont even realy need to run for this stuff works hot dang they die right away
clean up next day dispose and wash area
good luck
e.j. 12:06 PM 08-25-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Does anyone have any idea what pest control would charge?
My sister thinks it cost her about $150 but she can't remember as it was a few years ago. The nests she had were also up in some fairly tall pine trees so that might have factored into the cost. I think they had to use bucket trucks to reach them. I would call around; it may not be quite that expensive if it's in a crab apple tree.
Josiegirl 02:43 PM 08-25-2015
Originally Posted by e.j.:
My sister thinks it cost her about $150 but she can't remember as it was a few years ago. The nests she had were also up in some fairly tall pine trees so that might have factored into the cost. I think they had to use bucket trucks to reach them. I would call around; it may not be quite that expensive if it's in a crab apple tree.
I was searching online and most of the people's replies to this kind of problem said it's a piece of cake as the wasps die on contact, like Magic said. Knowing my luck I'd just pi$$ 'em off a little bit.
I may have to call and check out prices. If I'm feeling too cheap but brave enough I might just pick up a bottle(or 10) of wasp spray this weekend and do it myself.
Thank you everybody! I wish it was closer to freezing weather though.
Unregistered 02:53 PM 08-25-2015
The wasp killer shoots far. I'd say 20 ft.
Reply Up