Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>cat smell
mamamanda 10:23 AM 08-26-2015
I've been thinking I smelled cat pee all morning every time I pass through my hallway. I finally figured out it I dcb's back pack. Sniffed the bag & it smells like the cat peed all over it. Should I mention it to mom or just wash it without saying anything? I don't want to leave it b/c its gross first of all, but also I have a dog & a cat who thankfully pee where they're supposed to but I don't want them to smell it & try to mark their territory, kwim? Dcm straight up tells me cleaning isn't her thing & we've had issues before over things being left very dirty so I'm hesitant to bring it up, but I keep thinking what if I try to wash it & it gets damaged in the washer or something.
jenboo 10:32 AM 08-26-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I've been thinking I smelled cat pee all morning every time I pass through my hallway. I finally figured out it I dcb's back pack. Sniffed the bag & it smells like the cat peed all over it. Should I mention it to mom or just wash it without saying anything? I don't want to leave it b/c its gross first of all, but also I have a dog & a cat who thankfully pee where they're supposed to but I don't want them to smell it & try to mark their territory, kwim? Dcm straight up tells me cleaning isn't her thing & we've had issues before over things being left very dirty so I'm hesitant to bring it up, but I keep thinking what if I try to wash it & it gets damaged in the washer or something.
I would put it outside and tell dcm at pick up that you think their cat might have gotten to dcbs backpack. If dcm already mentions that she doesn't like to clean, then I wouldn't wash it. She might get used to that.
Now it if it was a clean family who probably just didn't notice, I would text and explain what happened and ask if I could wash it.
auntymimi 10:37 AM 08-26-2015
I've come across this too. I'd put it outside. Goodness only knows if there's fleas or whatever else. If it was extra clothes and I was throwing in a load I'd wash them, but I'd be worried about a backpack coming apart or whatever and being responsible for it too.
Annalee 10:38 AM 08-26-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
We are in the same boat today because I kept thinking I smelled a wet dog in daycare but we don't have a dog. Turns out we have resown our yard and covered with straw. The wet straw is coming in on everyone's feet and causing a soured smell in the entrance way. Nasty smell, too!
Blackcat31 11:05 AM 08-26-2015
I'd set it outside and TELL mom it can't return until it's been washed.

I would NOT wash it. NOT my job.

I don't care if daycare mom's "thing" is cleaning or not.... Ewww!!!

What a lame excuse/comment to tell someone who literally spends a HUGE portion of their day having to clean....
KiddieCahoots 11:06 AM 08-26-2015
Don't bother washing the backpack.
Cat pee smell does not come out with just one washing.....potent, nasty stuff
My daughter's cat that we owned yrs ago took to peeing in my cellar, when we adopted a new puppy. Took yrs to get that smell out with regular cleaning.
Be careful even placing the backpack outside. May temp an outside passerby cat to pee on and around it.
Maybe wrap it in a plastic bag first?
littletots 11:13 AM 08-26-2015
This has happened to me long ago. I set it outside from door. Dcm smelled it when she passed by it. I didn't have to say anything. Dcm apologized, said she thought she smelled something in the car and it never came back. Wishing you the same.
Reply Up