Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Some Help For Naptime
Unregistered 11:01 AM 08-20-2015
How long should a 20 month old DCB sleep for?? I am starting to get so frustrated with it, because he will not lay on cot unless I'm in the room. Nap time is my time to eat a quick lunch, clean up from a.m activities, etc. He sleeps for 30 minutes and then screams because he doesnt want to lay on his mat. My home daycare is set up to where if he gets up, he IS going to wake the others. Naptime is at 1 and by that time he can barely keep his eyes open but he wont stay asleep!!! So I either have to sit in room while he lays awake on his mat, or let him out into play room and just hope he doesn't want any other DCKs up. Any advice?? He doesnt arrive until 830, which means he probably sleeps in a good bit.
bklsmum 11:11 AM 08-20-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How long should a 20 month old DCB sleep for?? I am starting to get so frustrated with it, because he will not lay on cot unless I'm in the room. Nap time is my time to eat a quick lunch, clean up from a.m activities, etc. He sleeps for 30 minutes and then screams because he doesnt want to lay on his mat. My home daycare is set up to where if he gets up, he IS going to wake the others. Naptime is at 1 and by that time he can barely keep his eyes open but he wont stay asleep!!! So I either have to sit in room while he lays awake on his mat, or let him out into play room and just hope he doesn't want any other DCKs up. Any advice?? He doesnt arrive until 830, which means he probably sleeps in a good bit.
I would put him in a PNP in another room if he will not stay on his cot. I have one that doesn't arrive until 1030 and he still takes a nap at 1 for me.
MommyMuffin 11:19 AM 08-20-2015
What do you all do if you put them in pnp in another room and then they just scream
daycarediva 11:26 AM 08-20-2015
I bet he car crashes, co sleeps or doesn't nap at home at all.

I would sleep train him like an infant. Pack and play in another room, the furthest place away from the other kids as possible/within licensing guidelines. White noise in both rooms.

Put him down, say goodnight, tell him when you will come when rest time is over/music stops/some other cue.

Wait him out. Come back in when rest time is over, all cheerful, and get him up and continue on about the day. He is obviously tired, but he WILL get the point.

I use my video monitor when I have the kids nap in another room so I can watch them.
Ariana 11:46 AM 08-20-2015
Sleep train in a pack and play That is not enough sleep for a toddler.
grateday 11:54 AM 08-20-2015
I hope you find something that works for you. I have one that arrives late too does the same thing and has done so. Co sleeps and waits for a parent to pick up at 3 or 4 before sleeping. Is a holy terror at nap time- never follows the rules, gets on others cots, throws pillows at others who are sleeping. I have to gate them out most every time. I could never use a pac n play with that one because they learned how to climb out of it. Pain in my rear and the childs parents don't care and don't get it. It is what they signed up for though-flex care so I am stuck. One draw back of flex care. I figure even full time parents have issues with following routine/structure at times.

I have a hard time with routine at times because I get busy as a provider so my son's schedule gets messed up from time to time but there is enough of a routine that he can bounce back from it though.

Some parents are just more selfish than any other than I have ever met, but then when I look at dynamics I get why the things occur. :confused

I hope you figure something out.

Getting them in another room will help with some, I had one where I had to do that for a while and then I transitioned them back into the regular room.
Controlled Chaos 12:04 PM 08-20-2015
I would get cleaning done while the kids are up for a bit (I know its hard), and eat in the nap room. This isnt permanent, but just while you are training LO to sleep. My 20 month old sleeps 90min-2hrs depending. She slept in a pac n play until recently I transitioned her to a cot. I definitely have to sit near her for 15 ish min while she settles herself down and falls asleep, by then all the rest have fallen asleep and I can run upstairs to do dishes or prep dinner. I wouldn't do a cot until there are some self soothing skills developed and a longer nap.

And for the sleep training - I train new children under 2 in a seperate room in a pac n play. Yes, I would let the child scream. I would go in when they woke, put them back down "CC loves you, still nap time, night night" and close the door. Child doesn't get out until nap is over.
Heidi 12:08 PM 08-20-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

I would sleep train him like an infant. Pack and play in another room, the furthest place away from the other kids as possible/within licensing guidelines. White noise in both rooms.

Put him down, say goodnight, tell him when you will come when rest time is over/music stops/some other cue.

Wait him out. Come back in when rest time is over, all cheerful, and get him up and continue on about the day. He is obviously tired, but he WILL get the point.

I use my video monitor when I have the kids nap in another room so I can watch them.
Exactly this!

I use a lot of external cues, like a clock radio or other music that comes on very clearly when nap is over. I bought a video monitor with a music button, and I push that button just before I enter the room. Everyone knows they stay put until that music goes on.

Without the external cues, you end up reinforcing the crying, because LO's think you came in because they threw a big enough fit. If it's the music's "fault", then they eventually get the message.
Indianadaycare 04:11 PM 08-20-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

Agree!
Thriftylady 04:19 PM 08-20-2015
I agree with the others. You have some sleep training to do. PNP in another room.
Tags:naptime issues, needy
Reply Up