Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Suggestions for BFing DCM and Bottle
KBCsMommy 07:55 AM 08-26-2015
A dcm who is starting in a about 3 weeks is having issues with introducing the bottle to baby. DCM is having issues pumping and needs to start supplementing but baby is having difficulty with the nipples. One day baby likes the DR. Brown nipple next day they don't......

So, anyone have any suggestions to help her out. DCM is fully aware I won't accept the baby into care until baby can take a bottle and she is freaking out!

Thanks
NillaWafers 08:40 AM 08-26-2015
Has she tried leaving baby with grandma or dad with bottles? Sometimes they go on a strike if they know the real stuff (the boob) is right in front of their face haha. It may take some time but they will not starve themselves (although it may seem like it).
LysesKids 08:58 AM 08-26-2015
Originally Posted by KBCsMommy:
A dcm who is starting in a about 3 weeks is having issues with introducing the bottle to baby. DCM is having issues pumping and needs to start supplementing but baby is having difficulty with the nipples. One day baby likes the DR. Brown nipple next day they don't......

So, anyone have any suggestions to help her out. DCM is fully aware I won't accept the baby into care until baby can take a bottle and she is freaking out!

Thanks
I always suggest that dad & a neighbor feed bottles @ least 2 weeks in advance so littles get the idea it won't be mom holding them even if it's the same "milk". If I can't feed a child a bottle first day out, they get sent home
laundrymom 08:58 AM 08-26-2015
I swear by the standard, brown. Three hole gerber nipples. It's the only ones I use here. No matter parents use at home. But whatever you use, Baby will adjust fine after awhile. You just have to be consistent. I agree. Have someone else at home feed bottle. That's the confusion I would bet. Not the nipple
KBCsMommy 09:40 AM 08-26-2015
DCM says that she has had dad and grandma try but baby gets so upset and worked up. DCM says one day a Dr. Brown nipple will work but the next day baby doesn't like it but will take a Medela nipple.

NillaWafers and Lyseskids ....I will tell her that too

laundrymom...You may be on to something

Anyone else?!!! All input is much appreciated
Unregistered 10:34 AM 08-26-2015
I had to actually be out of the house for my little one to take a bottle. We tried everything until one day I just had to leave her with g-ma and pray for the best. Once I was gone and she got hungry enough, she took it with no problems. If I was in the room, she wanted the real thing. It seemed like we tried every bottle out there, and she unfortunatley loved the Dr Browns with the 10 million pieces. She reverse cycled and pretty much refused to drink at daycare, and then went seamlessly to a straw cup and water at 1 year.
littletots 01:05 PM 08-26-2015
Babies are smart, aren't they? Totally agree. She'll take bottle once mom smell out of room.
e.j. 02:30 PM 08-26-2015
They've probably tried holding the baby in different positions already but just in case it hasn't occurred to them.....have they tried holding the baby as though they're breastfeeding? I had one infant who refused the bottle from both me and her dad until I figured out she didn't like being held face up while I was feeding her. She liked to be held sideways, as though she was breastfeeding. Once I realized that, she took the bottle with no problem. Seems like such a simple thing but it made a big difference in her willingness to take the bottle.
BabyMonkeys 02:57 PM 08-26-2015
Originally Posted by e.j.:
She liked to be held sideways, as though she was breastfeeding. Once I realized that, she took the bottle with no problem. Seems like such a simple thing but it made a big difference in her willingness to take the bottle.
I breast fed my own children (15+17 years ago), and prior to starting my daycare I had very little experience bottle feeding. I instinctively held my dcboys that way. They were both breast fed and took the Dr. Brown bottles no problem. When I started my 3rd little guy that was formula fed only, he wouldn't take his bottle and I couldn't figure out why. He didn't like being held like that. Oops. You learn something new every day
Lovisa 03:46 PM 08-26-2015
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
Has she tried leaving baby with grandma or dad with bottles? Sometimes they go on a strike if they know the real stuff (the boob) is right in front of their face haha. It may take some time but they will not starve themselves (although it may seem like it).
Yep, this. Luckily the little guy I care for took the bottle from me with no problem (mom breastfeeds), but when mom is home, dad has a heck of a time trying to give him a bottle.

The bottles my dcm uses are the vent aire by playtex.
KBCsMommy 04:00 PM 08-26-2015
Lots of great input ladies

My last two dc babies that were BF did not like being held in the cradle position to eat, they liked to sit against my knees facing me! Babies can be so finicky at times!!!

I will definitely mention all of this information to DCM
nannyde 07:39 PM 08-26-2015
Just make sure you aren't being set up to receive the kid who isn't nipple trained. I don't think you need to be a part of figuring it out. She has three weeks to do that. Just require the baby come to your house two or three days before start day and CHUG a bottle in front of you. Doesn't matter who brings the baby for the demonstration. If the baby won't take a bottle with mom she can send it with someone else to SHOW you the baby can EASILY take a nipple. Don't accept words that she is getting better at it or she sometimes will... expect to be SHOWN the baby easily taking a bottle.

If you allow the baby to come while she is working on it you will get a baby who can't really do it. The best thing for the mom is to just breastfeed and SAY she is trying. The words of asking you to WORK with the baby can land you with a baby who can't do it.

Not only should the baby be able to easily do it... she should be able to take a bottle in a reasonable amount of time. No half hour feedings.

If you say now that the baby can't start until she is easily drinking out of a bottle the mom will figure it out. If you leave it gray or offer to be a part of the solution you could easily end up with a baby who can't do it. Be firm and specific. If the baby can't three weeks from now then hold off the start date until she can and shows you she can.
KBCsMommy 08:51 AM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Just make sure you aren't being set up to receive the kid who isn't nipple trained. I don't think you need to be a part of figuring it out. She has three weeks to do that. Just require the baby come to your house two or three days before start day and CHUG a bottle in front of you. Doesn't matter who brings the baby for the demonstration. If the baby won't take a bottle with mom she can send it with someone else to SHOW you the baby can EASILY take a nipple. Don't accept words that she is getting better at it or she sometimes will... expect to be SHOWN the baby easily taking a bottle.

If you allow the baby to come while she is working on it you will get a baby who can't really do it. The best thing for the mom is to just breastfeed and SAY she is trying. The words of asking you to WORK with the baby can land you with a baby who can't do it.

Not only should the baby be able to easily do it... she should be able to take a bottle in a reasonable amount of time. No half hour feedings.

If you say now that the baby can't start until she is easily drinking out of a bottle the mom will figure it out. If you leave it gray or offer to be a part of the solution you could easily end up with a baby who can't do it. Be firm and specific. If the baby can't three weeks from now then hold off the start date until she can and shows you she can.
DCM is fully aware that I will not take the baby into care until baby can drink a bottle in front of me. Which is why DCM is now freaking out a bit!!

I learned the hard way. The first BF baby I had in care was DCM's niece 4 years ago. I ended up having to call for pick up because baby couldn't drink out of a bottle. Baby couldn't start care for another week because of this.
Came on here saw your advice to make parents prove BF babies can drink out of a bottle by bringing baby in to show me that they can drink out of a bottle BEFORE I start care. I've done this with 2 other clients and it works like a charm

Thank you NannyDe for your advice
nannyde 10:29 AM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by KBCsMommy:
DCM is fully aware that I will not take the baby into care until baby can drink a bottle in front of me. Which is why DCM is now freaking out a bit!!

I learned the hard way. The first BF baby I had in care was DCM's niece 4 years ago. I ended up having to call for pick up because baby couldn't drink out of a bottle. Baby couldn't start care for another week because of this.
Came on here saw your advice to make parents prove BF babies can drink out of a bottle by bringing baby in to show me that they can drink out of a bottle BEFORE I start care. I've done this with 2 other clients and it works like a charm

Thank you NannyDe for your advice
Works like a charm!
Indianadaycare 01:27 PM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by e.j.:
They've probably tried holding the baby in different positions already but just in case it hasn't occurred to them.....have they tried holding the baby as though they're breastfeeding? I had one infant who refused the bottle from both me and her dad until I figured out she didn't like being held face up while I was feeding her. She liked to be held sideways, as though she was breastfeeding. Once I realized that, she took the bottle with no problem. Seems like such a simple thing but it made a big difference in her willingness to take the bottle.
That was smart! Good idea!
e.j. 03:05 PM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by Indianadaycare:
That was smart! Good idea!
Thanks; it was such a little thing but it made such a huge difference for her.
Tags:breast to bottle
Reply Up