Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>But I Don't Have One
Unregistered 10:25 AM 08-26-2015
Is it still typical behavior for a almost 4 year old to want to have everything? She is my daycare girl I have had for a year and a half. If one child has something and she doesn't she whines and throws a fit saying "but I don't have one". I tell her we can't always have everything and that she needs to learn to be grateful for everything she has. I don't quite know how to go about explaining she doesn't get to have everything so she understands. Any advice is appreciated. If there are books or other materials you know of.
Heidi 10:45 AM 08-26-2015
"no, you don't..." shrug shoulders, move on
Josiegirl 10:52 AM 08-26-2015
I've been going through that all summer! From my 4 yo dcg right up through the 8 yo. 'How come she gets to do this?' How come he can have one?'
I've been repeating myself over and over saying, 'life isn't the same for everybody. We all have different families, different needs, different everything. Nobody is the same as anybody else. Why do you have a TV in your bedroom and I don't? Why did you go away for 2 weeks and I didn't?'
All summer long I've said parts of that whole conversation every week, if not every day.

Well, it's NOT Fair!!! They whine. I say you're right. Life isn't fair for everybody. Some people have no home or food to eat. But you do. Some kids never get to hold a book. But you do. Some kids have no soft cuddly bears to sleep with. But you do.

I probably carry it further than I should. Maybe I'm getting too old for this but have found I have little tolerance anymore for kids whining about not having stuff, especially when they're bringing in iPods and tablets.
Blackcat31 10:58 AM 08-26-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
just quickly validate her comment and move on. Giving attention to this type of behavior only escalates it and creates some sort of permission to continue thinking/behaving that way.

I just agree and direct the focus to something else.
laundrymom 11:14 AM 08-26-2015
I just say
"I know."
And turn my attention somewhere else. By answering her you are validating her gripe. Just agree w her. See if that helps.
You don't give a barking dog a cookie. You give a well behaved dog a cookie.
Yes. I am comparing children to dogs. Lol. They both are motivated by awards. Be it a cookie, or extra attention.
littletots 12:58 PM 08-26-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
So right!
Josiegirl 02:12 PM 08-26-2015
Ok so maybe I handle it a little bit differently than everybody else.
Reply Up