Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Battery Babies
SilverSabre25 01:18 PM 09-18-2014
That's what I'm going to start calling the kids who I can just TELL have almost nothing but battery toys at home. they're the ones who find one of the few noisy toys I have and sit there pushing the button over and over like they're getting a hit of a drug.

they get SO excited with they find something that makes noise, like finally their world makes sense. If I'm playing on my phone and something accidentally makes noise they race over like a moth to flame trying to get a look.

Battery babies. it's a thing.

I took away the nosiy teapot (one of my favroite baby toys btw) and replaced it with the Green Toys tea set. DCB spent the whole morning telling me that the teapot is broken. And both he (2) and dcg (18 mos) are obsessed with my phone. Even my own kids, for whom screens are certainly not unknown, are not as desperate for a "hit" of the screen drug.
Shell 01:31 PM 09-18-2014
I hear you! The kids go crazy when my phone beeps, and I have one that must watch the microwave. Kids are addicted to this stuff!
cheerfuldom 01:38 PM 09-18-2014
It is the kid that automatically tries to do the swiping motion with their finger. If nothing is happening, they turn the toy upside down to find the on switch. I have a very, very few battery operated toys in the playroom.....a couple of little people houses and cars and I often refuse to let one of my 2 year olds play with them. There are a couple of kids that are just button pushers.

Upstairs, my two youngest share a room and they have a few battery operated things and the daycare kids are constantly trying to get to those. SOOOO annoying. They wander, especially outside, and I have to force them away from the back door to GO PLAY!

They often have very short attention spans, love TV, and don't like art or things like playdoh.

Takes a lot of work to break those habits because they will happily play with noisemakers all day. To be honest, music instruments are not much better as a drum or piano is just repetitive motions and noise. I removed all the music instruments from our play room too. My sanity could not take it anymore!
SilverSabre25 01:42 PM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Takes a lot of work to break those habits because they will happily play with noisemakers all day. To be honest, music instruments are not much better as a drum or piano is just repetitive motions and noise. I removed all the music instruments from our play room too. My sanity could not take it anymore!
OMG I hear you on the instruments! i did the SAME thing because these two that I have just can't handle the instruments! And the ball poppy thing....they sit and button push that too.

I am not against screens at all, my own kids have plenty of electronic time and I just bought the 6 yo a DS, etc. But mine are not addicted in this insane way I see these other kids. It's eerie in a way, how addicted these guys are. And I thought I was bad for the amount of screen my kids get...these guys are 10x worse. and that even with being here all day!
Blackcat31 01:48 PM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
It is the kid that automatically tries to do the swiping motion with their finger. If nothing is happening, they turn the toy upside down to find the on switch.
I gave one of my DCK's an Etch-A-Sketch a while back.

He flipped that thing over and over and over and over ad over and over and over and over. Then he started swiping his finger across the screen. First right to left, then left to right, then pulling down from the top, then up from the bottom... then he started to push the knobs in....

After several intense minutes of frantically searching, he sighed, got up and handed it back to me "Miss C, I think this is broken"

Indoorvoice 01:59 PM 09-18-2014
It's scary and sooo true.
nannyde 02:14 PM 09-18-2014
https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/do-a...-get-a-lot.htm
melilley 02:39 PM 09-18-2014
I had to laugh because one of my kids just said "I don't need batteries, I'm Kasen"!

My cousin is a kindergarten teacher and she said that one of the kids opened a book and was swiping the pages and was wondering why it wasn't working.....unbelievable!

I do have battery operated toys. I'm trying to phase most of them out and the ones that I do have left, I keep "forgetting" to buy batteries for them.
daycarediva 04:06 PM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
That's what I'm going to start calling the kids who I can just TELL have almost nothing but battery toys at home. they're the ones who find one of the few noisy toys I have and sit there pushing the button over and over like they're getting a hit of a drug.

they get SO excited with they find something that makes noise, like finally their world makes sense. If I'm playing on my phone and something accidentally makes noise they race over like a moth to flame trying to get a look.

Battery babies. it's a thing.

I took away the nosiy teapot (one of my favroite baby toys btw) and replaced it with the Green Toys tea set. DCB spent the whole morning telling me that the teapot is broken. And both he (2) and dcg (18 mos) are obsessed with my phone. Even my own kids, for whom screens are certainly not unknown, are not as desperate for a "hit" of the screen drug.

YUP! I have ZERO battery operated toys. On Monday my 3.5yo dcb is TWITCHING and BEGGING for a game by 9am. He steals my phone off the counter, and is the SOLE reason I have a passcode on it.
hope 04:08 PM 09-18-2014
I have a 6 month old that I believe is already addicted to battery toys. Every day the dcm packs a bag full of toys for this baby and I don't even open the bag. She has 5 toys that she wants to go in the crib with the baby that light up and make noise. Besides being very dangerous, isn't the point of putting a baby in a crib so that they can sleep not play? This baby has no clue how to just lay on her back or tummy and look around or interact. She NEEDS toys. And dcm wonders why she is not rolling all around.
Angelsj 05:12 PM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

He flipped that thing over and over and over and over ad over and over and over and over. Then he stated swiping his finger across the screen. First right to left, then left to right, then pulling down from the top, then up from the bottom... then he started to push the knobs in....

After several intense minutes of frantically searching, he sighed, got up and handed it back to me "Miss C, I think this is broken"

Poor kid, but that is hilarious!
nannyde 05:20 PM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
I have a 6 month old that I believe is already addicted to battery toys. Every day the dcm packs a bag full of toys for this baby and I don't even open the bag. She has 5 toys that she wants to go in the crib with the baby that light up and make noise. Besides being very dangerous, isn't the point of putting a baby in a crib so that they can sleep not play? This baby has no clue how to just lay on her back or tummy and look around or interact. She NEEDS toys. And dcm wonders why she is not rolling all around.
Yup. I believe young infants are being given tablets in their cribs now.
jenboo 05:50 PM 09-18-2014
I have 5 battery operated toys and they are only here because a family donated them to me. Once the batteries die, they are gone.
I have a:
piano
guitar
a little monkey toy thing
and two of those puppy dogs where you push the paws and it sings and talk.

Besides the piano and guitar, the kids still prefer the wooden trains, books, wooden cars, peg board, etc.
DaveA 04:06 AM 09-19-2014
You really want to confuse them, give them an old desktop rotary phone. They have no clue what to do with it.
nannyde 05:28 AM 09-19-2014
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLaj0B73LZU
hope 05:37 AM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Wow. After 5 days the parents ran out of things to say to the baby I guess. Lol. Pretty soon they will be video conferencing in to the crib so that the nanny can watch the baby round the clock.
Blackcat31 09:17 AM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
You really want to confuse them, give them an old desktop rotary phone. They have no clue what to do with it.
We have one.

My DCB's seem to think the cord is there so you can tie your buddies up.

When my own son was younger... my step mother had an old rotary wall phone in her kitchen.

My son was about 3 yrs old at the time. He stared at it in wonder and bewilderment for a loooong time. Finally he sighed, turned to my dad and said "What the heck IS that?"

I am truly saddened by all the things this generation won't even be aware of.....

black and white TV
Dials and buttons that turn
anything that is operated by "man-power"
the multiple steps that it took to record anything off the radio
TV shows on at certain times and NOT on demand
busy signals

the list goes on and on.......
MyAngels 01:44 PM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
That is just wrong. On so many levels.
Dilley Beans 02:48 PM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

He flipped that thing over and over and over and over ad over and over and over and over. Then he stated swiping his finger across the screen. First right to left, then left to right, then pulling down from the top, then up from the bottom... then he started to push the knobs in....

:: Best read of the day!!! Too funny!!!
NightOwl 04:48 PM 09-19-2014
What about this little gem
Attached: tmp_3325-images627907141.jpeg (4.9 KB) 
Thriftylady 08:34 PM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
What about this little gem
Oh don't get me started.
Blackcat31 07:35 AM 09-20-2014
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Oh don't get me started.
Yeah, that was discussed in length when we discussed the i-pad holder for the PNP/bassinet.

NOTHING surprises me anymore when it comes to way to incorporate electronics into a child's daily routine.

Next, we'll see them built right in to the sides of cereal boxes and milk cartons.

Or worse, they will figure out a way to project or play a movie/TV show to the baby during a sonogram while still in utero....
Tags:toys - battery
Reply Up