Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Painting And The Right Paper
Oneluckymom 12:23 PM 09-24-2012
So when ever my DCKs paint...the paper doesn't lay flat when it dries. So naturally when we put them on the wall they don't look so nice what kind of paper works great for painting projects? By the way I have been using regular tempura paint.
quailsgarden 12:34 PM 09-24-2012
We use thicker paper for temera paint. Usually card stock, poster board, inside of cereal boxes ect. I have also bought water colour paper from michaels for the kids to use. We usually save that for special occasions because it can be expensive.
Oneluckymom 12:38 PM 09-24-2012
Does the card stock come in bigger sheets or just 8x11? Do you buy it at michaels?
countrymom 12:39 PM 09-24-2012
I was just saying today how the quality of construction paper is so awful. Its so thin, awful to paint with. I too have started to use cardstock. Michaels always has coupons too.
Blackcat31 12:47 PM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Does the card stock come in bigger sheets or just 8x11? Do you buy it at michaels?
You can buy cardstock paper at any store that sells scrap book supplies.

I buy my card stock in 12 x 12 sheets.

For painting with tempura paints, I use coated paper. It has a coated back so the paint doesn't seap through.

We have a large paper company here in my town that supplies paper to several magazines. A couple of my DCD's work at the paper mill and bring me giant rolls of the paper so I have no idea how much it would cost to buy it.

I do have a few friends who do daycare and they buy freezer paper type to paint on because it is also coated on the one side.
Oneluckymom 01:02 PM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You can buy cardstock paper at any store that sells scrap book supplies.

I buy my card stock in 12 x 12 sheets.

For painting with tempura paints, I use coated paper. It has a coated back so the paint doesn't seap through.

We have a large paper company here in my town that supplies paper to several magazines. A couple of my DCD's work at the paper mill and bring me giant rolls of the paper so I have no idea how much it would cost to buy it. I do have a few friends who do daycare and they buy freezer paper type to paint on because it is also coated on the one side.

Blackcat....your so spoiled!!
daycarediva 01:13 PM 09-24-2012
I buy cardstock, or specialty scrapbook paper when it goes on sale for cheap. Construction paper used to be soooo much better quality!

Cardstock is super expensive when it's not on sale though! Especially with the way my little picasso's love to paint. I also can't find butcher block rolls of paper anywhere anymore!
Blackcat31 01:39 PM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I also can't find butcher block rolls of paper anywhere anymore!
http://www.uline.com/BL_1954/Newspri...keywords=paper rolls

This company has a variety of paper and paper rolls as well as some other really useful items. I never would have thought about looking here but my DH uses them for his business so I looked at one of their catalogs once and was like wow, I can soooo use some of this stuff!!
daycare 01:52 PM 09-24-2012
what I do is after we paint and they dry, we use a glue stick to glue them to construction paper. We flatten them back down....I think that they look great and it gives a nice little touch to their art work..
My3cents 02:04 PM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
what I do is after we paint and they dry, we use a glue stick to glue them to construction paper. We flatten them back down....I think that they look great and it gives a nice little touch to their art work..
I do this too. The construction paper used to be so thick and nice to work with but now even the heavy weighted paper is thin and lousy. I am always looking for something cheaper to use for my kids to paint on that they will not put holes in.

You can buy cheap the ends of rolls from your local newspaper. That is nice for other mediums.

I also use the scrapbook paper- card stock that is just sitting there because the scrapbooker in me kind of fizzled out. Figure better to use it then let it just sit.

I have my project gluing together and I was thinking even gluing it down to the construction paper is still flimsy. Ugh.

I guess I will have to invest in heavier paper if I can find it. Why does this have to be so expensive?
quailsgarden 04:20 PM 09-24-2012
I get the card stock at michaels when it is on sale. We use 8.5x11 and the
12x12. The doller store that I shop at sells big poster board paper for .25 a sheet. It is not as thick as poster board at walmart or michaels but it does the trick.
countrymom 05:12 PM 09-24-2012
I'm glad I'm not the only one with issues. I find that I hate sending home paper with holes in it.
Tags:cardstock, painting, painting paper, paper rolls
Reply Up