Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What is Your Summer Program Like?
Hunni Bee 06:05 AM 04-16-2011
This is mostly directed at those of you that work at centers and or have larger family day homes...but I would like to hear any ideas

Im responsible for creating/managing the Summer Program (and just about every other special program ). Last year the one I did was awesome if I do say so...full of learning activities, field trips, in-house fitness camp, etc. The Activity fees were $45 for the Twos, $65 for Preschoolers and $75 for SA. And this the was the BARE minimum....we added a few dollars for gas...but we netted NO profit from the activity fees...and we allowed them to pay in installments over a two month period. Still we had about half the parents NOT pay the entire fee, and we were unwilling to have so many kids sit out of activities, so we ended up LOSING money because we went on and covered those kids. We had to provide swimsuits for kids whose parents "forgot" to send theirs, lunches for kids when we asked parents to pack a lunch...etc.

It SUCKED. And this summer we have about 15 more kids than we did last year, so even getting to these field trips will be harder. The parents are asking for the summer program itenerary already, but Im afraid to schedule and make deposits on some of the more expensive activities and then have families not pay. But I also dont want bored SAs all summer because we didn't do a big summer program...

The Two's and Preschool Parents were mostly good about paying the activity fees...its was SA's and some older Preschoolers who we had trouble with....ironically who I had planned the most activities for. Some of them actually said they didnt care if their kids just ran around in the yard or watched tv all summer ...but the KIDS minded and we minded.

Any ideas or advice?
missnikki 08:51 AM 04-16-2011
First off, if it is a self-contained summer program, you need a contract that covers the entire summer. On mine, I have the whole summer like a little calendar, and they must specify ahead of time what exact dates they will use. I give it to them to sign after they get the summer calendar so they can decide based on activities if they want. It sounds like your program is going to attract the parents who want a loosey-goosey attendance and payment situation, so you will find sending a lunch is too much to expect. I would suggest tightening up the planning to give advance notice of all things needed. Have a big board up on the front door or at the exit that they cannot miss and post TODAY: ____ activity, ____needed, be here before _____will return by ______/TOMORROW _____activity, _____needed, be here by ____ will return by ____ and rotate each day. The more work you put into running a tight ship and professional appearnace, the more they will pay, and the more reliable clients will use your place and then recommend you later down the line.

I expect all payments to be upfront. I don't care if they want to pay me daily, weekly, or the whole shebang (I give a discount for that one) but no pay no stay.

I charge weekly rates for 3/4/5 days per week (150/165/175 dollars). Anything less is not worth my time. All activities are included in price

Mondays: local community pool, rented for our use for 1 hour, and picnic lunch since we walk to the park with the pool

Tuesdays: Dress up theme days and On-campus presentations, hired professionals or talented friends, like face painting, pony rides, puppet shows, basically hired entertainment

Wednesdays: Chartered bus takes us to our big field trip, this year we will have 2 waterparks, chef's academy class, rockwall place, bowling and lazer tag, big amusement park, etc...

Thursday: Walk to local library for morning reading club, and afternoon we have Mad Science lab (hired Mad Scientist)

Friday: Water play games and activities, using hoses, sprinklers, slides, water balloons, squirt guns, all that jazz and provide hot lunch from fast food place

In between those activities, we have art/craft, organized games, indoor/outdoor stuff to do that each staff is responsible for planning one day per week and rotate days.

Feel free to pm me if you have more ?'s...Summer Camp is a huge part of my job as a center director.
Michael 12:54 PM 04-16-2011
More summer program threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...summer+program
Tags:summer program
Reply Up