Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Power Outages, No Heat, No Electricity - Do You Close?
momma2girls 01:23 PM 01-27-2010
Do you all close for power outages? Last week in Iowa we were without power at least one hr. and I was getting a little worried if it was going to come back on!! I only had one child that day, the rest were teachers- the worst thing about this, is the Dad was laid off a few weeks ago, and he was sitting at home doing nothing, and it is a neighbor of mine!!! It had been really icy out, icing about 4 hrs. prior to her coming!! The Mom called me and said her little girl was still coming but be very late, like 3 hr. late!! I told her, do you realize how icy it is out- and my light have been really flickering on and off- So needless to say, she was coming over regardless, and picking her up the same time as always!! I had to go out and salt all my driveway and my porch and long sidewalk up to my house, just for her coming!! So when she finally came I didn't even know what I was going to fix for dinner, since no electricity- finally came up with jelly sandwiches- she comes in right before dinner and said wow your electricity is off- I said yours is probably off as well- After an hr. I finally called the Dad and asked him if he was at home, he hestitated to tell me he was, I told him, if the power is off for quite some time, we are not going to be staying home, we have a little baby here as well, no heat- It already was starting to drop by then- The within 15 min. it came on- Thank God!! I have never had this happen before, and wondering what everyone else does for this!!!
I know have it written in my contract for new ones and next yr. in case of a power outage for several hrs. parents may be called!!!
WOW!!
TO make things worse I fell 3 times while trying to spread salt all over everything!! I still hurt from it!! I will probably need to go to the chiro for it as well!!! What a day!!!
Chickenhauler 04:22 PM 01-27-2010
If power outages are a serious safety issue because you're in "The Great White North", it may not be a bad idea to invest in a generator and have the wiring installed so that you can at least have the power to operate the blower or pump on the furnace (if you have a gas furnace).

This is also on my "to do" list...
originalkat 04:39 PM 01-27-2010
Inclement Weather

"When severe weather occurs, Green Gate Preschool usually remains open even when public schools are closed. However, in the event extreme severe weather occurs which prevents safe travel or has caused power outages or other problems which interrupt the safe and proper care of your child, we will close. You are always encouraged to follow your instincts and keep your child home if you feel conditions are not safe. In the event I would need to close due to the circumstances listed above, regular tuition will be required."

I have had my power go out during the day when the kids were here...twice. However, the weather was not bad and so I waited it out. I called the power company and said I had a home daycare and NEED power. It was on shortly after and she said it would be put on the urgent list.
If the power would have gone out and it was accompanied by severe weather, I would have called the parents to pick up.

I have thought about getting a generator...on our to do list as well.
gbcc 05:17 PM 01-27-2010
If the power goes out due to severe wheather conditions then yes, I would close. It's not worth the accident and potential harm to the child. Thankfully this has never happened. If I was already providing care when it happened I would wait it out unless we had no food, drinks, or heat if needed.

I would not go out in extreme weather just to salt everything!! LOL!! what good am I to them if I am sick for the rest of the week!
momma2girls 05:24 PM 01-27-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
If the power goes out due to severe wheather conditions then yes, I would close. It's not worth the accident and potential harm to the child. Thankfully this has never happened. If I was already providing care when it happened I would wait it out unless we had no food, drinks, or heat if needed.

I would not go out in extreme weather just to salt everything!! LOL!! what good am I to them if I am sick for the rest of the week!
I had to salt everything, because I didn't want them to fall with the child, and then be sue happy, like some are!! I thought I better go out there, and do it for them. I even called them and explained to her how very icy it was out there, all she said was I know our driveway is icy also!! I know it is- but you are not walking on it, just backing out your van on it. I just don't want you to fall, I salted it, but it may still be icy out there!!
gbcc 05:31 PM 01-27-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I had to salt everything, because I didn't want them to fall with the child, and then be sue happy, like some are!! I thought I better go out there, and do it for them. I even called them and explained to her how very icy it was out there, all she said was I know our driveway is icy also!! I know it is- but you are not walking on it, just backing out your van on it. I just don't want you to fall, I salted it, but it may still be icy out there!!
Yes, I understood why you did it. I just wouldn't have. I would have told them I was closing is what I meant! I salt on other days.
momma2girls 05:38 PM 01-27-2010
Yes, I understood why you did it. I just wouldn't have. I would have told them I was closing is what I meant! I salt on other days.
I wish I could have said- I am not going to be open, but I never close!! I sure wish I would have that day though!! WOW!! I actually thought of it, but then I would have to refund their money, beings they pay on Mon. of the week! I really couldn't believe she even came, especially when Dad was sitting at home!! Just really erked me!!! Hopefully this will not happen again, on the day that she comes!!! If we ever lose power, heat and all, I will call and tell them I need to close!
gbcc 05:42 PM 01-27-2010
I just don't get it. It's not worth risking your child's life. Most places get sick time or the option to make up the hours.

I just recently gave myself a bonus! I get paid for all closings and holidays except for when I take vacation.
momma2girls 05:47 PM 01-27-2010
I just don't get it. It's not worth risking your child's life. Most places get sick time or the option to make up the hours.

I just recently gave myself a bonus! I get paid for all closings and holidays except for when I take vacation.
GOod for you!!
tymaboy 06:07 AM 01-28-2010
I have never had to deal with power outage or no water issues during daycare hours. If I were though I would probably call parents after about 30 minutes in the winter cuz without the furnace it will get cold fast in the house.
Childminder 06:19 AM 01-28-2010
I don't close they are going to go out anyway. I have a generator backup which most of the children do not, so they will be warmer here than at home.
momma2girls 09:21 AM 01-28-2010
Originally Posted by tymaboy:
I have never had to deal with power outage or no water issues during daycare hours. If I were though I would probably call parents after about 30 minutes in the winter cuz without the furnace it will get cold fast in the house.
I actually went over an hr. then called the Dad, and said if this continues for hrs. we will not be staying at home at all. It was about 15 or 20 degrees outside. Then they did come back on about 10 min. later. It did have me worried though.
Janet 10:46 AM 01-28-2010
I close if I lose power, no if's, and's, or buts about it. I have well water and a septic tank so if I lose power, then I have no water (except for what little is already in the reservoir thingie, which I don't want to waste) and I can't flush the toilet. Also, I live in a heavily wooded area and I don't have much natural lighting and I have no heat and no way to prepare food and no back up generator. If the power goes off after the kids get here, I give it about 15 minutes to see if it will come back on and if it doesn't, I call all the parents and give them a heads up that if the power is still out in 45 minutes, I will need them to come pick up right away. My house is very cold in winter and very hot in summer, so the electricity is a must.
tymaboy 05:30 AM 01-29-2010
I had a 1st yesterday. Not the power but plumbing issues. I had to have the kids picked up early cuz it was a sanitary issue.
mac60 05:43 AM 01-29-2010
I think the longest I have been without power was 3 hours, and we knew it was going to happen. I didn't close, we had an easy lunch and the kids napped and it all worked out. We have a gas fireplace so would at least stay comfortable, and we can flush the toilet on city water.
momma2girls 06:11 AM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
I think the longest I have been without power was 3 hours, and we knew it was going to happen. I didn't close, we had an easy lunch and the kids napped and it all worked out. We have a gas fireplace so would at least stay comfortable, and we can flush the toilet on city water.
We have a gas fireplace, but I can't have all my daycare children sleep right in front of the fireplace, I thought about it though!! LOL!!!! I think if this ever happens again, I will give it a few hrs. and then call, it is just not safe, my temperature was already going down after an hr. the windchill that day was about 0 out.
mac60 06:34 AM 01-29-2010
We added on a family room and bedroom, and in the family room is the fireplace. It keeps our family room, bedroom, dining room and kitchen nice and warm, we use it daily. If we lost power, I would hang a big blanket up at the doorway to "preserve" heat. So far, we have been very lucky.
SimpleMom 11:21 AM 01-29-2010
We lost power for an entire day and I gave the option for parents to bring their kids or not. I stayed open and only one family chose to stay at home that day. We had food and window light, but it was a bit difficult...considering all of our food was in a cooler
Carole's Daycare 01:24 PM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
We have had glare ice conditions here recently too. I absolutely go out and salt, no matter how miserable it is, rather than risk an accident and getting sued. Its weird that the mom risked her childs safety to bring it to daycare in those conditions when the Dad was home. I understand if they both HAD to work, but really! I have a family like that too- the Dad considers it a great favor to his wife if he (babysits) the children. Some parent.
momma2girls 02:45 PM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by Carole's Daycare:
We have had glare ice conditions here recently too. I absolutely go out and salt, no matter how miserable it is, rather than risk an accident and getting sued. Its weird that the mom risked her childs safety to bring it to daycare in those conditions when the Dad was home. I understand if they both HAD to work, but really! I have a family like that too- the Dad considers it a great favor to his wife if he (babysits) the children. Some parent.
I know this pretty much topped it all!! I just couldn't believe it!!! What parent would do that??? I know they pay for the day, but really??? How sad!!!!!!
Tags:close, contract, electricity
Reply Up