Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Playroom Redo!!!
SilverSabre25 08:18 PM 08-23-2011
We spent a LOT of time this weekend working on the playroom, bathroom, and naproom. I didn't get the curtains made, but we got them painted which was a HUGE improvement.

Here are the before pictures of the playroom--please excuse the general messiness of these, I didn't clean up much before starting to paint and move crap. It didn't usually look anywhere *near* this cluttery, lol.
Attached: GEDC0930.jpg (71.7 KB) GEDC0931.jpg (82.5 KB) GEDC0933.jpg (94.7 KB) 
SilverSabre25 08:36 PM 08-23-2011
And here are the before photos of the daycare bathroom and the nap room...
Attached: GEDC0922.jpg (41.4 KB) GEDC0923.jpg (65.0 KB) GEDC0925.jpg (44.8 KB) GEDC0926.jpg (30.8 KB) 
SilverSabre25 08:40 PM 08-23-2011
Here are the after shots of the playroom...
Attached: GEDC0944.jpg (68.5 KB) GEDC0945.jpg (68.2 KB) GEDC0947.jpg (90.8 KB) 
Abigail 08:48 PM 08-23-2011
I love seeing pictures! Are you using a mattress for the "kid couch" reading area? I have one I'm going to use for the same purpose too, lol. Do you have a rug you can add under the table to make a more defined area for the dramatic play area? It must feel good getting all the painting done! Good job!
SilverSabre25 08:52 PM 08-23-2011
And after shots of the bathroom and nap room.
Attached: GEDC0953.jpg (32.4 KB) GEDC0954.jpg (52.9 KB) GEDC0955.jpg (31.6 KB) GEDC0938.jpg (57.8 KB) 
SilverSabre25 08:56 PM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I love seeing pictures! Are you using a mattress for the "kid couch" reading area? I have one I'm going to use for the same purpose too, lol. Do you have a rug you can add under the table to make a more defined area for the dramatic play area? It must feel good getting all the painting done! Good job!
Yep, that's my daughter's old crib mattress. I sewed the pillowcases for the pillows that are lining it. Here's a close-up of the reading area, and a shot of the fabrics I'm making curtains out of. The animal print is for the bathroom, the crayons are for the playroom, and the stars and moons for the nap room.
Attached: GEDC0946.jpg (91.6 KB) GEDC0957.jpg (116.6 KB) 
Abigail 08:57 PM 08-23-2011
Wow, how did you do the clouds that look like things????
SilverSabre25 08:59 PM 08-23-2011
My super-duper-awesome artistic sister painted them. She used a regular paintbrush and free-handed all of them. She's the bestest.
Michelle 10:22 PM 08-23-2011
The room with the clouds looks really nice but is there any way you can lighten the paneling? maybe white wash them?
also a nice area rug to "soften" the nap room would be cozy.
The living room (I think) the room with the couch has a crib right under a shelf.. some parents would be be little nervous with that.
I know I live in earthquake country but it's just an overall safety thing I noticed right away.
The bathroom is beautiful!!
I never thought about hanging the toddler toilet seat like that. What a good idea!!!
Great job with the painting!!
mac60 04:00 AM 08-24-2011
Very nice, I love your peach color, would you mind sharing the color name. You did a very nice job with your space. And the clouds are adorable.
Lianne 04:52 AM 08-24-2011
What a great transformation! I'm off next week and hoping to paint my bathroom and playroom. Seeing your pictures is inspiring me to get it done!
MommyMuffin 04:57 AM 08-24-2011
Looks great! Love the nap room, it def makes it look cozier. I think a rug in the nap room would look lovely as well.

Great job silver, you can tell you take great pride in your daycare.
Kaddidle Care 05:28 AM 08-24-2011
LOVE the room with the clouds and I didn't notice that they looked like anything at first - had to go back and look again. Really cool!
SilverSabre25 07:10 AM 08-24-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
The room with the clouds looks really nice but is there any way you can lighten the paneling? maybe white wash them?
also a nice area rug to "soften" the nap room would be cozy.
The living room (I think) the room with the couch has a crib right under a shelf.. some parents would be be little nervous with that.
I know I live in earthquake country but it's just an overall safety thing I noticed right away.
The bathroom is beautiful!!
I never thought about hanging the toddler toilet seat like that. What a good idea!!!
Great job with the painting!!
Good point about the shelf (given yesterday's East Coast earthquake that I felt, lol); it's the stuff on the shelf that's the issue, probably...the shelf itself is anchored so firmly that I think it would support my (not insignificant, lol) weight. I'll see about taking the stuff off. I might switch the pack n play and the changing table, although the pnp does a good job of blocking access to the stupid built-into-the-wall mini fridge that was put in by the old owners. At least it's my own DS that uses that pnp right now.

Originally Posted by mac60:
Very nice, I love your peach color, would you mind sharing the color name. You did a very nice job with your space. And the clouds are adorable.
Lowes Olympic Premium-- Honey Butter. It's a very nice, warm color. I love it!

I want badly to get a large area rug or those interlocking blue foam mats, but that's out of my price range atm, as is doing something about the paneling. Even the paint and fabric was money we don't actually have (hello credit card...). Trust me; those things are in the future plans!
mac60 07:12 AM 08-24-2011
I guess it wasn't peach color. Looks like it on my screen. Sounds very pretty though.
Koukla 10:05 AM 08-24-2011
very very pretty im sure your dck and parents are all going to love it.
Crazy8 10:59 AM 08-24-2011
looks like you had one busy weekend!!!! I love the blue color of the bathroom and those clouds are awesome!!! Can the paneling be painted?? I think it would look awesome white with the blue/white on top!

I hear you on the money issue though. I started my playroom redo a few weeks ago too (now known as "the green room" by the dck's, LOL) and ran out of money long before I ran out of ideas.
momofsix 11:05 AM 08-24-2011
Very nice work Silver, it looks great!!!
Holladee 11:09 AM 08-24-2011
Great job! It looks so nice!
Cat Herder 11:15 AM 08-24-2011
I love that naproom... the clouds were the perfect touch!!!
Abigail 06:43 PM 08-24-2011
How far from North Dakota are you? I would hire her to paint those clouds on my walls!

Also, if you didn't want to use a training seat, you can buy an "all in one" seat called a toddler to adult seat. They're at walmart.
http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0

We have a 20 month old girl and 26 month old boy in potty training and both do well on the regular toilet seat, but they sure look tiny on their!
cheerfuldom 07:14 PM 08-24-2011
I really like that idea about the crib mattress. I think you have a good start with the rooms. I'd put up something on the walls in the playrooms. Target had a bunch of cute bulletin board decorations in their $1 section the last time I went. That could brighten up the place even more and make it seem that not everything is floor level. I would put the kids to work doing crafts and art to hang on the walls too. I also frame pictures of past and current kids and leave those on the wall (dollar store!).
terrivh 07:17 PM 08-24-2011
Great makeover....is there anywhere on this site that we could all post pictures?
SilverSabre25 07:31 PM 08-24-2011
How far from North Dakota are you? I would hire her to paint those clouds on my walls!

Also, if you didn't want to use a training seat, you can buy an "all in one" seat called a toddler to adult seat. They're at walmart.
http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0

We have a 20 month old girl and 26 month old boy in potty training and both do well on the regular toilet seat, but they sure look tiny on their!
Sorry, Abigail, I'm in Ohio! I'm glad you like them though. I plan to tell her how much you all are raving about the clouds! I want one of those seats someday.

Cheer, my sister is coming sometime soon to paint some stuff on the playroom walls too, we just haven't gotten a time set up yet. I was already thinking balloons though so it's funny you mention them!
juliebug 07:39 PM 08-24-2011
That looks great! color really does help!

i plan on painting mine sometime soon too
countrymom 06:39 AM 08-25-2011
2 weeks ago I painted my toy room and all the trim and doors, I left the border up, and the funny thing is that I had moms ask me if the border is new, and I was like no but the wall was the same color of the border so it didn't stand out, but now my walls are blue (like the color of your bathroom) and its so nice. Also, I had dark trim everywhere, and just painting them white made such a huge huge difference its amazing. I would suggest buying one can at a time (thats how i purchase things drives dh crazy but when you don't have money....) but use primer first on the dark panalling. Also, is there a reason you have a couch, me personally would get rid of it, its too big and well loved and I would add a play house instead (look at craigslist)
SilverSabre25 06:54 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
2 weeks ago I painted my toy room and all the trim and doors, I left the border up, and the funny thing is that I had moms ask me if the border is new, and I was like no but the wall was the same color of the border so it didn't stand out, but now my walls are blue (like the color of your bathroom) and its so nice. Also, I had dark trim everywhere, and just painting them white made such a huge huge difference its amazing. I would suggest buying one can at a time (thats how i purchase things drives dh crazy but when you don't have money....) but use primer first on the dark panalling. Also, is there a reason you have a couch, me personally would get rid of it, its too big and well loved and I would add a play house instead (look at craigslist)
Ah yes...the couch...I hate that thing. Unfortunately, for reasons of, um, "family politics" it kinda has to stay, for at least awhile. I have plans to clean it with the carpet cleaner one of these days. DH's parents gave it to us our first Christmas together and made a BIG DEAL about how expensive it was, what good quality, couch'll last you forever, etc, etc... It's crappy and uncomfortable and we bought a much better one earlier this year for half the price. If we go and get rid of that one, all heck will break loose. We can't even move it anywhere else in the house (trust me, we tried, but it doesn't fit through the hall...) so it's stuck there, at least for awhile.
countrymom 08:46 AM 08-25-2011
I would tell them that you can't have the couch anymore, but that they can have it back. Trust me, offer it back to them, I do this with my mom all the time. She gives my kids all sorts of junk that i have no room for and then I tell her that she can have it back, amazingly it never makes it back to her house because she doesn't want it either. Tell them liscensing won't let you have it because of bed bugs.
sharlan 09:13 AM 08-25-2011
It looks nice. I really love the clouds, wish I was artistic.

My suggestions, please take them with a grain of salt..........

I love the idea of an "all in one" toilet seat. My dd has one, so much more convenient. Plus it looks neater than a seat lying on the floor, like mine.

I am scared to death of floor lamps. A gf's daughter knocked one over and it set the carpet on fire.

Also, anything on the shelf above the pack in play is dangerous. We have tons of earthquakes here, so that's one of my concerns.
countrymom 11:19 AM 08-25-2011
go look at the poster who posted the pictures today, show your dh how nice the white would look instead of the brown (you know keep giving him hints) and you have so much space you should get a play gym too instead of the couch
Tags:remodel, renovate
Reply Up