Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Viral Pink Eye
DCMomOf3 07:26 AM 02-07-2011
My DS has come down with viral pink eye, which isn't treated. I'm keeping him isolated from the daycare and am wondering how long it lasts usually, so I can figure out how long he'll have to be isolated from the other kids. He's already acting lonely since he can't play with his friends.
MNdaycare 07:50 AM 02-07-2011
I believe he shouldn't be near any other children until 24 hours after he received medication. Pink eye is VERY contagious and most daycare centers send home children with pink eye and require them to see a doctor..and I think they remain contagious for a while after they take a medication...hope that helps.
DCMomOf3 07:51 AM 02-07-2011
Most doctors around here will NOT medicate for viral, only bactirial, which is my dilemma.
MNdaycare 07:57 AM 02-07-2011
Ohh..boy, I really am not sure..I would call a 24 hour nurse and ask what is suggested..?
Blackcat31 08:07 AM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by MNdaycare:
I believe he shouldn't be near any other children until 24 hours after he received medication. Pink eye is VERY contagious and most daycare centers send home children with pink eye and require them to see a doctor..and I think they remain contagious for a while after they take a medication...hope that helps.
.... our MN "Infectious Diseases for Childcare and Schools" book says exclusion is only necessary when viral pink eye (conjunctivitis) produces pus. If no pus is present then no exclusion is necessary.

IF the pink eye was bacterial then exclusion until 24 hours after the start of antibotics would be necessary.

HOWEVER, if I had a child in care who had pink eye I would ask that they stay home until better because I don't want to deal with it spreading. If it was my own child then I would let the parents know and let them choose to bring their kid or not. Maybe give them a handout about pink eye so they can make their own educated decisions. http://kidshealth.org/parent/infecti...nctivitis.html
Tags:pink eye
Reply Up