Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Allergy Question
MotherNature 09:11 AM 05-07-2013
DCB has had a clear runny nose, constantly running, for nearly a month now. DCM says, oh, I think it's allergies b/c this happened last spring too. OK, fine, but I'm noticing that about halfway thru the day, his nose clears up and stops running constantly, and sometimes altogether stops. When he comes the following day, it's back. I have a dog & a cat..cats are present in his home, & we're only a 10 minute walk from each other's home, so there are similar trees, etc in the area. I'm beginning to think there's something at HIS house that's causing an allergic reaction, and not at mine...maybe smoke. Does this sound right/ anyone else have allergic kids who clear up while in your care/ (Sorry, my question mark button is broken.) I asked DCM today to take him to get checked out for sure. (Funny how I need to remind her to check out her kid's health.)
MarinaVanessa 09:23 AM 05-07-2013
My 2 yo DS inherited his allergies from my DH and the same thing happens to him. His allergies flare up in the mornings and by mid afternoon most times they are better or completely gone and then only to start over again the next day. Not sure why it happens but it's common. We are a smoke free/pet free family so for us it's not a smoke or animal allergy but usually something that's in the air. Where I live we didn't get much rain last year so for some reason it's making all of the trees expel lots more pollen than normal and it's EVERYWHERE here. I have this super fine greenish/yellow dust on our cars, our house, the street etc. It's horrible.

Right now all of the kids have this weird cough and runny discharge thing going on. Half of them are sneezing like crazy.
MotherNature 09:27 AM 05-07-2013
OK, that's good to know. I have food allergies, but no environmental ones..have never dealt with them much. The tree across the street has that green-yellow stuff too. I'll make sure to mention it at pickup then about it clearing up mid-day.
Solandia 09:51 AM 05-07-2013
My oldest dd has seasonal allergies(moderate to severe), and are the worst in the mornings and late afternoons/early evenings. It is basically an experiment on what works the best. A dr visit is generally going to tell you there are a bunch of OTC meds to try, if it doesn't work...let me know & you can go to an allergist.

For a clear runny nose & if my kid isn't bothered by it...(no sleep or behavioral issues), then I would keep them unmedicated. A dry nose isn't always worth the trade-off with some of the side effects. Unfortunately for my oldest, her allergies triggered asthma, so we got to go through all that fun stuff.

Getting testing for seasonal allergies is often a huge waste of money, because it isn't going to change the outcome (outcome being trying different meds). FYI, an allergist visit & testing, and a follow up costs about $2K. Different kid, different issue with wildly out of control asthma last year.
daycarediva 09:53 AM 05-07-2013
He might be allergic to his bedding at home, have bed bugs or dust mites on his mattress, that sort of thing. My ds has severe allergies and was tested and we had to buy special slip covers for his pillowcase and mattress and use an enzyme killing spray once a month.
KDC 10:26 AM 05-07-2013
My DS has the same thing... worse in the morning and evenings. We found the OTC drugs had awful side effects that were keeping him up and not letting him get the sleep he needed or awful nightmares where he's be sitting in his room with all the lights on in the middle of the night - zombie'd out. They scared the heck out of me! They're supposed to not cross the blood/brain barrier, but I'm not convinced...

We went to an allergist and they tested him and he was allergic to most environmental allergens. (some pet allergies, although he is MUCH better in the winter) She gave him pat-a-day for his eyes, which really helps. But, unless he's absolutely miserable - I avoid all OTC drugs and try more holistic approaches (local honey, simple saline, wash bedding weekly, dust and vacuum bi-weekly).
e.j. 02:33 PM 05-07-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
He might be allergic to his bedding at home, have bed bugs or dust mites on his mattress, that sort of thing. My ds has severe allergies and was tested and we had to buy special slip covers for his pillowcase and mattress and use an enzyme killing spray once a month.
I was thinking along these lines, too. They may have mold in their house that you don't. They may not dust/vacuum as often as you do. Perfumes, detergents, rugs vs. hardwood floors....could be a lot of things that differ between your house and theirs.
AmyKidsCo 07:53 PM 05-07-2013
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I was thinking along these lines, too. They may have mold in their house that you don't. They may not dust/vacuum as often as you do. Perfumes, detergents, rugs vs. hardwood floors....could be a lot of things that differ between your house and theirs.
I was thinking the same thing. I have allergies too and am affected differently in different places, depending on what's floating around in the air.

Daycarediva - what spray do you use? We have the special covers for our mattress and pillows and I wash our sheets on Allergy cycle weekly and blankets every other week. It's helped a lot but hasn't totally taken care of things.
daycarediva 05:25 AM 05-08-2013
It is through Norwex.

I also use a ton of their other products. They are absolutely wonderful. Ds uses the washcloths and towels because he is allergic to 99% of soap, so he doesn't use any and he only uses vinegar in his hair.

We also removed ALL carpeting, most curtains and even my roman shades and installed a HEPA filtration system onto our furnace and air conditioning. I also sweep/mop/vacuum daily and dust atleast twice a week. At home he is awesome, but when he goes to his grandparents, even for a few hours, it's awful.
Meyou 05:45 AM 05-08-2013
My allergies are horrible in the morning every single day but much better by noon unless it's a heavy pollen day. I'm working on 30 years of a morning "cold" that disappears.
Greenplasticwateringcans 07:03 AM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
DCB has had a clear runny nose, constantly running, for nearly a month now. DCM says, oh, I think it's allergies b/c this happened last spring too. OK, fine, but I'm noticing that about halfway thru the day, his nose clears up and stops running constantly, and sometimes altogether stops. When he comes the following day, it's back. I have a dog & a cat..cats are present in his home, & we're only a 10 minute walk from each other's home, so there are similar trees, etc in the area. I'm beginning to think there's something at HIS house that's causing an allergic reaction, and not at mine...maybe smoke. Does this sound right/ anyone else have allergic kids who clear up while in your care/ (Sorry, my question mark button is broken.) I asked DCM today to take him to get checked out for sure. (Funny how I need to remind her to check out her kid's health.)
My allergies are TERRIBLE mid afternoon right now but fine when I wake up. It's the blooms on the trees that are super happy happy happy in the sunshine and spread their darn pollen everywhere. Dumb trees. Yesterday I sneezed so many times my lungs hurt this morning.

Anyway DCK could totally be allergic to something at his place and not yours. Totally. I used to live near a Scotch Broom (worst plant ever!) grove and every morning for months I'd wake up with cat tongue mouth, swollen eyes, and a runny nose. Then like magic I'd be fine after lunch. There could be an extra special tree/shrub/bush/ near him that is causing him grief.

Even his cat's dander being all over his bedding/clothes could be an issue for him. Poor little dude.

Mom should take him for allergy testing.
MotherNature 05:54 AM 05-09-2013
Thanks everyone! I'll definitely give her all the suggestions.
Cradle2crayons 06:31 AM 05-09-2013
Gosh yes it could be a variety of things. I have a dck who is allergic to cats but doesn't have a single problem with mine. They've been here a year. They tested positive in testing for cats..l and reacted to one they got before the testing that alerted them. I've also reacted to some cats and not others. Allergies are mysteries. Lol
itlw8 06:37 AM 05-09-2013
Not to step on anyone's toes but we all really need to stop putting blame. She is not neglecting her child for not taking him to the dr for mild allergies. No dr would put a child through the expensive and painful tests for a runny nose in the spring.

anything exposed to will be worse in the morning because if sits in the nose all night. maybe they have the windows open at night.

If it is only in the spring then you can pretty well rule out dust cat smoke laundry detergent etc. It will be something that is only during that month.

sleeping with windows closed, an air purifier in that room, a bath before bed. they might help but really if he is sleeping well and comfortable during the day it is not that big of a deal in a month it will be over until next spring.
Cradle2crayons 06:50 AM 05-09-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
Not to step on anyone's toes but we all really need to stop putting blame. She is not neglecting her child for not taking him to the dr for mild allergies. No dr would put a child through the expensive and painful tests for a runny nose in the spring.

anything exposed to will be worse in the morning because if sits in the nose all night. maybe they have the windows open at night.

If it is only in the spring then you can pretty well rule out dust cat smoke laundry detergent etc. It will be something that is only during that month.

sleeping with windows closed, an air purifier in that room, a bath before bed. they might help but really if he is sleeping well and comfortable during the day it is not that big of a deal in a month it will be over until next spring.

Wow.. Lol.. I didn't see anyone even insinuating the mom was neglecting their child by not running them to the doctor.... Maybe I missed a post somewhere??

Our pedi actually doesn't recommend allergy testing in the very young and even then there are a lot of false positives and false negatives. The false positives send the parents into a snit to remove x y and z things from the house and evpnvironment when the kid isn't even allergic. The false negatives gives the parents a false sense of comfort with things the kid may just be allergic too.

Because I live in the south where EVRYONE has allergies and more kids here have asthma than most anywhere else... Docs here prefer parents not to run kids there with every runny nose unless the child has a huge history of runny noses turning to severe ear infections or triggering an asthma flare up.

That being said, my daughter has been on Zyrtec since she was a baby. We're thankful it never had those bad side effects like the typical OTC meds did, and it works great. We also give it to my son after he gets stung along with his epi pen and a dose of oral steroids. It helps to keep the reaction down fans prevents him for re reacting after the epi wears off.

Personally, a runny nose that doesn't interrupt anything I wouldn't worry about at all. If mom is super upset about it, then I would suggest a pediatrician appointment, not allergy testing at that age. Maybe she needs the reassurance of the pedi. But I wouldn't require it as long as its clear and doesn't seem to be bothering anything.
bunnyslippers 08:50 AM 05-09-2013
I am suffering from seasonal allergies for the first time ever in my life. I have learned a little bit about it this week. My allergies were so severe that I have now developed a respiratory and sinus infection as a result of the allergies. I also got a nice eye infection to go along with it!

Basically, even if the underlying issue is allergies, it can turn into a condition that needs to be treated with antibiotics.
itlw8 09:22 AM 05-09-2013
I asked DCM today to take him to get checked out for sure. (Funny how I need to remind her to check out her kid's health.)
Wow.. Lol.. I didn't see anyone even insinuating the mom was neglecting their child by not running them to the doctor.... Maybe I missed a post somewhere??

not sure how to do 2 quotes Cradle2 crayons but this is what I was referring to.

and a WOW really I thought I was being polite guess not.

We all ( including myself) seem to do this like we know better than parents.
MotherNature 11:05 AM 05-09-2013
I stated it that way because of this particular parent. She herself has stated she was going to make an appointment weeks ago. She has had me aggravated for a good portion of our 7 mos together. I'd posted about the situation a couple times, that her son has obvious delays and I've sought advice in discussing things with her. I approached her once and she blew me off. I'm about to give her a quarterly developmental checklist, and hopefully she'll consult with her doctor. I don't even know if she has a doctor for him, as she left that spot blank on the contract and when I asked her this week about it, she changed the subject. Not taking him to get checked out for allergies=not that big of a deal to me, as she can try some OTC meds, or some natural remedies. The doctor issue isn't a major issue for enrollment with me; a couple of my clients don't vax or tend toward more natural stuff, which cool, so do I, but if it seemed I was frustrated because of the allergies, no..frustrated b/c this DCM is a procrastinator about EVERYTHING and tries to play passive aggressive mind games all the time. I'd have termed her, but she's currently my only client thru the summer. She's friendly, but if something doesn't go exactly her way, she falls apart and over reacts. My irritation is that her friend offered her a large amount of claritin her kid wasn't using, all still good. She said great that she'd get it, & 2 weeks later, still hasn't. It's just her procrastinating, which affects me, as now I have to wipe things and his nose way more often, using up time and supplies more. This issue is just one very minor thing in our relationship. It has seemed that she relies on me to do all the disciplining and parenting & lets him do whatever as soon as she shows up. She lets him hit her, and laughs it off, among other things, while I'm telling him, "No. we do not hit." I've been working with him for 7 mos & he's shown some improvement, but not a lot, & has regressed in many ways, which worries me. So, sorry if it sounded callous, I'm just frustrated by this mother letting him sit around watching tv all day because she doesn't know how to handle him(her words) and then ignore the advice she asks for. Also, sorry for the rant..
MotherNature 11:10 AM 05-09-2013

not sure how to do 2 quotes Cradle2 crayons but this is what I was referring to.

and a WOW really I thought I was being polite guess not.

We all ( including myself) seem to do this like we know better than parents.
I thought you were being polite.
I answered you though above..Yeah parents know their own child better, but when they basically leave the daycare provider to parent, it's aggravating. I try to form a relationship w/ my families so we're on the same page at home and at my home. This mom is shirking her duties a bit.
Greenplasticwateringcans 11:16 AM 05-09-2013

I'm not blaming her at all.

I don't know how many Allergies or Immunologists you know but spring is a pretty good time for seasonal allergy testing. Me and my children were tested at no cost and it was not painful.
MotherNature 11:28 AM 05-09-2013
Originally Posted by Greenplasticwateringcans:
I'm not blaming her at all.

I don't know how many Allergies or Immunologists you know but spring is a pretty good time for seasonal allergy testing. Me and my children were tested at no cost and it was not painful.
How did it not cost anything/ She's a single mom working kind of a fast food job, so saving $ is important.
Greenplasticwateringcans 12:07 PM 05-09-2013
How did it not cost anything/ She's a single mom working kind of a fast food job, so saving $ is important.
I'm Canadian. Sometimes I forget the entire 1st World isn't UHC.
MotherNature 12:45 PM 05-09-2013
Originally Posted by Greenplasticwateringcans:
I'm Canadian. Sometimes I forget the entire 1st World isn't UHC.
awww-so jealous! We love Canada. I was born in upstate NY, near Montreal, & my husband came from Buffalo. We usually wander over to the Niagara area every few years. I was surprised a few years ago when I was detained for not having a passport. We've considered moving there. Husband wants Toronto; I want Vancouver..
Tags:allergies
Reply Up