Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kitchen-help me choose?
Sunchimes 02:55 PM 09-02-2012
I got rid of the pool table in my play room today (long story), and now I can get a kitchen. I've narrowed it down to these two, but I'd really like some feedback.

The wooden one has reviews that say it is particle board, hard to assemble. That seems to be a common theme for kidkraft things. But, lots of reviews give it high praise.

Same thing with the plastic one.

I've read and looked at so many that my mind is a blur.

Do you have a kidkraft wooden one? Do you have a favorite plastic one?

The wooden one is a Kidkraft Vintage and the plastic one is a Step 2 Party Time.
Attached: 5177cX3OpNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (15.9 KB) 51PSm-aONML._SL500_AA300_.jpg (15.8 KB) 51Uu2snTmxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (19.5 KB) 
Blackcat31 03:01 PM 09-02-2012
Here are my thoughts:
The first one is cute but doesn't quite look as sturdy or as long lasting as the second one. Maybe it is the photo but it just looks kind of flimsy.

The second one is really cute but I kind of have an issue with the color. I feel like "why is it pink? are they implying a kitchen is a girl thing?" LOL!
Otherwise, I like this one the best!

The third one I HATE!! I absolutely hate plastic toys! I really like the realness of wooden toys and think that they are best for early childhood environments.

I think the plastic ones probably last a long time and are probably pretty durable but I just personally have an issue with plastic stuff. I am trying to rid my child care of anything plastic and go all wood. The only real downside to the plasticones beside my personal preferance is that the kids pick the stickers off and then it looks crappy and they tend to be a bit tippy since they are ligher in weight.

So that is my 2 cents....hope it helps!
countrymom 03:02 PM 09-02-2012
the problem with the particle board one is that your going to find that its not going to be able to take a beating, washing it over time will fade the stuff and the doors will fall off. I would go for the step 2 because I find those products sturdy. Can you go to toys r us and really have a good look at it on display, sometimes I find thats how I can decide.
Sunchimes 03:16 PM 09-02-2012
Blackcat, I agree with the plastic. I'm trying to eliminate it. But, I'm worried about particle board not holding up, and I can't afford the real wood stuff.

The second one comes in colors other than pink, I just found the pink image first. I don't do pink anymore either.

That's all the things I was thinking. Do you have one of the wooden ones of particle board?
Sunchimes 03:18 PM 09-02-2012
Countrymom, I went to Toysrus yesterday and they only had 2 on display. Pretty irritating because I drove over 50 miles-one way-to look at them in person. Apparently they are switching to the new versions of everything and closing out last year's models, but the new display ones aren't out yet.

I'm hoping someone here actually has one of these and can do a review.
spud912 03:35 PM 09-02-2012
I have this KidKraft kitchen and love it:

I've never really had an issue with cleaning it or anything breaking. I bought it 2 years ago, and the faucet did break off a year ago (haha one of the few plastic pieces), but some gorilla glue put it back together and we haven't had an issue since. Otherwise, it seems to be holding out great! It takes quite the beating between everyone slamming the doors shut, pressing on the oven "window," and two of my children who keep trying to climb on it.

I would go with either of your first two choices, but in different colors. I try to avoid purchasing anything gender specific (as in pink) or anything all white (mainly because of cleanliness).
nanglgrl 08:09 PM 09-02-2012
I have one like the first one and so far it has held up really well and was not hard to assemble. Here is the kidcraft one I purchased:

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;...2167772/images

I liked the fact that it also had a washing machine so the play could be extended and that it was primary colors. I needed a new one to replace a Little Tikes washer/dryer and a step 2 kitchen. I bought it through WalMart and shipping was free using site to store.

So far it has held up nicely and still looks like new. I didn't find it hard to put together and it seems pretty durable. I could see how if the doors were mistreated (especially the bottom ones) the hinges could break because they open towards the floor and I keep expecting a child to step on them. There is also no shelf in the oven but it could easily be added (not that the littles care).
Melanie 04:00 AM 09-03-2012
IU'd go with the first, its cute and obviously less girly than the pink one. Also not a fan of plastic stuff, even if it is easier to clean.
daycarediva 04:52 AM 09-03-2012
I built my own wooden kitchen set from plans from http://ana-white.com/2009/11/plan-gr...hen-stove.html It is solid wood, VERY sturdy. I painted mine white with chrome accessories. It was under $75 for everything and has lasted for two years without a single repair needed. Just a thought! I am going to make some wooden food (bought melissa and doug previously) with wooden blocks and decoupaged food labels soon.

I am also ridding my daycare of plastic and ANYTHING character. I have kids acting out tv shows that they have seen instead of using their imaginatons.
Childminder 07:20 AM 09-03-2012
I had the second one that I got from a garage sale. Th kids loved it but it was always falling apart. Door coming off, screws coming unscrewed, etc...
nanglgrl 07:49 AM 09-03-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I built my own wooden kitchen set from plans from http://ana-white.com/2009/11/plan-gr...hen-stove.html It is solid wood, VERY sturdy. I painted mine white with chrome accessories. It was under $75 for everything and has lasted for two years without a single repair needed. Just a thought! I am going to make some wooden food (bought melissa and doug previously) with wooden blocks and decoupaged food labels soon.

I am also ridding my daycare of plastic and ANYTHING character. I have kids acting out tv shows that they have seen instead of using their imaginatons.
Love this idea! I guess I know what I will be doing for my next kitchen!
cheerfuldom 02:52 PM 09-03-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

I LOVE ana white....we have used several designs from her blog. We have the dress up cart. Anyway, I agree.....plastic is on the way out here as is anything character/cartoon related.
Kim 06:36 PM 09-03-2012
Originally Posted by spud912:
I have this KidKraft kitchen and love it:

I've never really had an issue with cleaning it or anything breaking. I bought it 2 years ago, and the faucet did break off a year ago (haha one of the few plastic pieces), but some gorilla glue put it back together and we haven't had an issue since. Otherwise, it seems to be holding out great! It takes quite the beating between everyone slamming the doors shut, pressing on the oven "window," and two of my children who keep trying to climb on it.

I would go with either of your first two choices, but in different colors. I try to avoid purchasing anything gender specific (as in pink) or anything all white (mainly because of cleanliness).
I have this one too. I had a plastic Step 2 one and the kids never touched it. Now that I have the more realistic Kidkraft one, they LOVE it! I also ditched the cheap plastic food and replaced it with felt food and more realistic metal pots and pans from Ikea.
Fruitloops1 07:44 PM 09-03-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I got rid of the pool table in my play room today (long story), and now I can get a kitchen. I've narrowed it down to these two, but I'd really like some feedback.

The wooden one has reviews that say it is particle board, hard to assemble. That seems to be a common theme for kidkraft things. But, lots of reviews give it high praise.

Same thing with the plastic one.

I've read and looked at so many that my mind is a blur.

Do you have a kidkraft wooden one? Do you have a favorite plastic one?

The wooden one is a Kidkraft Vintage and the plastic one is a Step 2 Party Time.
I got one like option 3 but its a bit smaller. The kids like it but its really light and can tip easy. I have it secured with a earthquake strap (from the home improvement store) but otherwise it would tip. I am with blackcat I really prefer the wooden ones. So much nicer!! I love how the middle one looks minus the pink!
Reply Up