Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Space Do You Have for Daycare??
SunflowerMama 06:11 AM 06-21-2010
Since I was told I couldn't use my upstairs for daycare I just feel like we don't have enough room.

I just feel like we are on top of each other at times and don't feel like I have the right set-up and that I'm not utilizing my space in the most efficient way. I feel like we're on top of each other at circle time and just don't feel like my centers have enough room.

I know there have been posts about pictures of everyone's area but I can't find many pics at all.

How much space do you have and how do you organize to get the best use of your space?
sahm2three 07:31 AM 06-21-2010
We have about 1500 sq feet in the basement and about the same upstairs. We mostly use the downstairs, but the upstairs is used when the little ones are awake and while I am making meals.
misol 07:33 AM 06-21-2010
twinmama I am looking forward to the responses to your post. I am sure that I have enough space for my daycare, however I KNOW that I don't have it set up so that I am making the best use of my space.
Unregistered 07:50 AM 06-21-2010
I have about 800 square feet. It gets crowded when there is more than 5 kids down there.
momma2girls 08:14 AM 06-21-2010
I have 1650 upstairs and the same downstairs, 5 bedrooms, 3 baths, large rec. room, etc. I do the majority of the daycare downstairs!!!
Greenshadow 08:32 AM 06-21-2010
In my home in California, we actually converted our garage for my daycare. It was WONDERFUL! Now, Im crammed into our downstairs too. Im told my house is 1450 sq ft total so I figure Im using about 725 sq ft downstairs. It is not a ton of room and Im constantly rearranging it to make more room. I think the way I have it set up now is working well for me! If I can figure out where to post pictures, I will post a few. I do naptime right in the middle of the floor in my living room, with playpens mostly, because I have quite a few children that are around 15 mos old. We go outside alot too, that helps.
Crystal 08:53 AM 06-21-2010
twinmama, I'd love to offer some suggestions, but need to know what you are working with. Are you trying to set up your space within your family area or do you have some separate space for daycare only, and if so, how big is it?
judytrickett 10:57 AM 06-21-2010
Five kids. 220 square feet of dedicated daycare space. One bathroom dedicated daycare space. Another 250 square feet of the rest of my basement that is partially dedicated as it is shared with my family's T.V. room (which hardly ever gets used but there is adult sized furniture etc in there so I don't consider it dedicated space).

All in all I have about 50 square feet per child dedicated space and about 100 square feet per child if I also count the shared space the kids have access to. PLUS the bathroom. And that is all open play space.
Golden Rule 11:02 AM 06-21-2010
We converted a double car garage into a rec room then seperated areas with pre-fab deck railing. Simple and reversible. (Georgia requires 35 square feet of usable floor space per child for home daycare. code 290-2-3-13 Section 1a In case anyone wants to know.)

The biggest cost was the insulated garage door and extra a/c unit......
Crystal 11:09 AM 06-21-2010
I never measured before today! My playroom is 345 square feet - that is daycare only. They also use the rest of my downstairs space, which is an additional 715 square feet, plus they have their own restroom.
SunflowerMama 11:19 AM 06-21-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
twinmama, I'd love to offer some suggestions, but need to know what you are working with. Are you trying to set up your space within your family area or do you have some separate space for daycare only, and if so, how big is it?

It is within our family area and I think if I could just talk my husband into moving some of the bigger pieces of furniture upstairs we could work with our living room more. He just doesn't want it taking over our family space but since we can't be upstairs anymore we may just have to work with what we can. I'm going to take some pictures so maybe that'll help your creative juices . Thanks!!
SunflowerMama 11:32 AM 06-21-2010
Here is my downstairs. Off of the hallway is the one restroom they use and then the playroom where they are napping right now. That is the room I feel crammed in b/c that is where I do circle time, etc. b/c it had carpet.

In that playroom there is now a blue Ikea table with 4 chairs in the middle and a pack n play in the corner so that basically fills that room. Whenever the kids are in there they are literally on top of each other. I just need ideas to make our family living room more welcoming so the kids can take advantage of the space out there.
Crystal 12:16 PM 06-21-2010
Okay...I am looking at it and going to give a few ideas on how I would rearrange, of course it may be completely different than what you have in mind, but I'll try.

1. Can you move the pack n play into the living room space so and take it up and down as needed? My pack n plays go in my living area for nap and down after nap

2. I would move the kitchen set and shelving unit you have in your living room to the playroom....I would use te backside of the kitchen set as a "wall" and place the table and chairs or another piece of furniture behind it, to set up interest centers.

3. I would use the bookshelf in the playroom as a "wall" too, turning it away from the wall and placing the other shelf in the playroom (the one with bins/puzzles) behind it....then you'll have a reading nook - where I would add a rug, a couple of pillows, and behind it you'll have a manipulative area.

4. I would create as many "wall" spaces as possible with the furniture....turn them out into the room and break up the play spaces, organize them into interest areas....reading, math/science, blocks, dramatic play, etc. You'd be surprised, eve though this seems to use more space, how much it defines your area and makes it easier for children to play, keep things organized, etc. It is very functional and keeps the children from interrupting each other's play....resulting in less chaos.

5. In the playroom, after moving furnishings around, and making sure that's where they will stay, I'd really utilize the wall space.....small hanging cubbies for materials, hooks for dress up stuff, etc.

I would consider moving the sofa in your living room space away from the wall to separate the dining/living space, place a shelf behind the sofa for art supplies and use the dining area for art and sensory play. I would completely remove everything you have for the childcare from your living room space and make that just for family and possible tv time for the kids....then at the end of the day, even though stuff is behind you, you can sit in your living room without looking right at your work.

Okay, these are a few suggestions....I'm not sure if they will work for you, but it is what I would do....I'll try to post some pics of my playspace so you can get an isea of what I am talking about.....and I'll try to come up with moreideas....kinda hard just looking at pics....I could totally "play" with your space though!

I do have to say though, that it looks pretty good the way it is, but I totally get the feeling you have and it getting old sharing your living space with work....my old house was under 10000 square feet, and I had daycare with 14 kids there
Crystal 12:31 PM 06-21-2010
here is a link to the thread with some pics....I have a few there, but they are old. but gives you an idea of how my space is set up.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13067
SunflowerMama 12:32 PM 06-21-2010
Okay...I am looking at it and going to give a few ideas on how I would rearrange, of course it may be completely different than what you have in mind, but I'll try.

1. Can you move the pack n play into the living room space so and take it up and down as needed? My pack n plays go in my living area for nap and down after nap

2. I would move the kitchen set and shelving unit you have in your living room to the playroom....I would use te backside of the kitchen set as a "wall" and place the table and chairs or another piece of furniture behind it, to set up interest centers.

3. I would use the bookshelf in the playroom as a "wall" too, turning it away from the wall and placing the other shelf in the playroom (the one with bins/puzzles) behind it....then you'll have a reading nook - where I would add a rug, a couple of pillows, and behind it you'll have a manipulative area.

4. I would create as many "wall" spaces as possible with the furniture....turn them out into the room and break up the play spaces, organize them into interest areas....reading, math/science, blocks, dramatic play, etc. You'd be surprised, eve though this seems to use more space, how much it defines your area and makes it easier for children to play, keep things organized, etc. It is very functional and keeps the children from interrupting each other's play....resulting in less chaos.

5. In the playroom, after moving furnishings around, and making sure that's where they will stay, I'd really utilize the wall space.....small hanging cubbies for materials, hooks for dress up stuff, etc.

I would consider moving the sofa in your living room space away from the wall to separate the dining/living space, place a shelf behind the sofa for art supplies and use the dining area for art and sensory play. I would completely remove everything you have for the childcare from your living room space and make that just for family and possible tv time for the kids....then at the end of the day, even though stuff is behind you, you can sit in your living room without looking right at your work.

Okay, these are a few suggestions....I'm not sure if they will work for you, but it is what I would do....I'll try to post some pics of my playspace so you can get an isea of what I am talking about.....and I'll try to come up with moreideas....kinda hard just looking at pics....I could totally "play" with your space though!

I do have to say though, that it looks pretty good the way it is, but I totally get the feeling you have and it getting old sharing your living space with work....my old house was under 10000 square feet, and I had daycare with 14 kids there
Such great ideas!! I can't wait to play with everything once the kids are gone this evening!! Thanks so much!! And I would definitely love to see pictures of your area!!
Crystal 12:34 PM 06-21-2010
I will take some current pics later and post them for you....
mismatchedsocks 03:40 PM 06-21-2010
I could not see your pictures, but Crystals ideas sounds great!

Here I have 1200sq ft on main floor, 1200 in basement and 800 upstairs. I only use 1200 on my main floor, the basement is not finished and I just moved my own kids upstairs in the 2 bedrooms/1bathroom area.

On my main floor I have the kitchen, in which I have a L shaped table, and I used a rolling shelf for microwave cart, and under is 2 shelves. On the top shelf is kids plates, cups, bowls, napkins for self serving, the bottom shelf is art supplies. That is the "art room" only room with no carpet!

Then I have my room. It is mainly my room, unless a baby needs to sleep, or a child is asleep during normal daycare times. I can fit 4 kids in here sleeping. I do not use this room for any other type of play, just naps if needed.

I do have one bedroom down here JUST for the daycare. It has no furniture in it. The closet has the board games, and a set of cubbies for the kids sleeping bags and extra diapers that dont fit in the front cubbies by door. That room in the summer is used for school agers except for from 12-2, then it is the nap room. It has a excersise mat in it, that we use to tumble, put on plays, do circle time, etc.

Then I have the living room. L shaped couch here too. (better for my space then 2 couches) I use this as the newborn to steady walker room. When I have baby babies it has the baby equipment in it, so baby is safe from the older kids.

And I converted my dining room into a toy room. It has 2 tall shelving units. That stores on the lower shelves baby toys, blocks, cars, and books. The higher up shelves holds the larger blocks, stuff with little parts, and puzzles. In one corner of the room is the kitchen, stove, grocery cart and little table.

I should take pictures. I used to think it was too small but then I rearranged and am much more happy. GOod luck!
SunflowerMama 04:15 PM 06-21-2010
I've been working all afternoon! Thanks a million Crystal for all the great ideas.

How does this look? Now at least there is some seperation b/w the home living, books, blocks, manipulatives, etc.

My husband is very excited to have our living room back.

Crystal 04:16 PM 06-21-2010
AWESOME!!! You have done a great job already!
Liliya 04:40 PM 06-21-2010
OMG! what a difference!!! Love your house,very nice.
originalkat 05:04 PM 06-21-2010
That Looks GREAT!!! I think your new room arrangement will work out beautifully. Now it looks like the kids can easily move from the play room down the hall to the dining room/hall play space without even entering the living room. Wonderful! Also, as the parents walk in it seems like they will enter into an entry area to your business instead of the middle of your living room. Let us know how it functions.
nannyde 05:22 PM 06-21-2010
Originally Posted by Golden Rule:
We converted a double car garage into a rec room then seperated areas with pre-fab deck railing. Simple and reversible. (Georgia requires 35 square feet of usable floor space per child for home daycare. code 290-2-3-13 Section 1a In case anyone wants to know.)

The biggest cost was the insulated garage door and extra a/c unit......
LOL GOLDEN. I believe ya.

I wasn't asking for a link because I didn't believe you about the education thing... I just couldn't believe IT.

We have 35 sq foot rule too.
originalkat 05:28 PM 06-21-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
LOL GOLDEN. I believe ya.

I wasn't asking for a link because I didn't believe you about the education thing... I just couldn't believe IT.

We have 35 sq foot rule too.
LOL. That's funny.
nannyde 05:56 PM 06-21-2010
I have about 150 square foot of dedicated space per kid.
gkids09 06:25 PM 06-21-2010
twinmama
OH MY GOODNESS. My mouth DROPPED when I saw the new pictures!! I can't believe the difference! It looks SO good!! The best part will be tomorrow (I'm assuming you will have dck tomorrow). When they come in, they will be SHOCKED. lol I love it, really. Good job!!!
SunflowerMama 04:49 AM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by gkids09:
twinmama
OH MY GOODNESS. My mouth DROPPED when I saw the new pictures!! I can't believe the difference! It looks SO good!! The best part will be tomorrow (I'm assuming you will have dck tomorrow). When they come in, they will be SHOCKED. lol I love it, really. Good job!!!
Thanks guys!! I can't wait for the dcks to get here today! I think they will love it!
nannyde 06:43 AM 06-22-2010
I do more of an old school set up. I have the toy bins and equipment along the wall. I have a room divider with 12 bins dividing the two sides of the room but other than that everything is along the wall.

I don't have table and chairs available to the children during free play. The table is "by invite" only. The large toys have very little flat surfaces on them so the children play with the toys on the floor unless it's something like the block table that has block grids. We don't allow anything on the block table but the blocks that go with it.

I don't have any "hide away" areas. I want all of them out in the open so we can see their entire body every second. I have a tub of cloth books, hand puppets, dolls, and stuffed animals for the older kids. We don't have a book shelf for the kids where books are displayed. I don't have paper books... only thick board books and cloth books.

I don't have any art activities set up for free access. We do all of these things at the table when we are able to do it. No free choice art.

We have two 12 bin cabinets but these are also by invite only. We do one bin at a time and it must be cleaned up before the next one comes out. We have LARGE toy collections of wooden blocks, tinkerytoys, legos, magnetics (with ONE TO ONE adult supervision only), lincoln logs, barbies and accessories for the older girls, and about 100 or so puzzles. With the exception of the blocks we don't do any of these in free play. By invitation only and when we do it they ONLY do it.

We don't have any large stuffed animals or bean bags. The kids sit on the floor and play on the floor. We change diapers on the changing mat on the floor, feed the babies as we are on the floor, do all activities with them that don't require a table (like art and playdoh) on the floor. We don't have any noise toys or battery operated toys in the playrooms.

The room has an overhead camera so I can see every kid all the time. We don't have anywhere for them to "get away" for me time. I need to be able to see them and my staff assistant must be able to see their whole body anywhere in the room from any angle where she is sitting.

We do a lot of rotating kids thru each side of the room and whatever "by invite" activity we have for them for the day. This allows an average of two kids on each side of the room at any given time. There's an adult within a few feet of each kid at all times.

It's the old style way but it works really well for developing great kids. They are all very well behaved and completely self entertained. They are capable of adapting back and forth from the few adult generated activities we do to self or group play very easily. We don't have crazy behavior. We don't have to do massive clean ups. They are capable of cleaning the area they are in and putting toys away exactly as we need them to. We don't have any dumping toys or tear up toys and each toy has it's place. They are organized completely after every play session so they are ready to go for the next. The kids do the entire clean up by themselves with little training. We have little to no toy breakage or abuse of toys.

My philosphy for toys has always been to build huge collections with mutiples of the key pieces in the set. I've always invested the day care monies into collections and make sure I have every piece I need for two to three kids to play at one time. There's no fighting over toys or hoarding toys because I have mutliples of the key pieces. I only buy high quality durable toys and focus on those pieces that allow the kids to play independently for as many years as possible with as little adult involvement as possible.

It's the opposite of the current training for developmentally appropriate play spaces. My focus is on the toy collections not the physical space set up. The physical set up is for the ultimate in supervision as our guidance techniques are based on uber supervision of each kid every second they are up playing. Tons of excellent toys and direct proximal supervison of their free playing of the toys. It's very simple. I like simple.

I would NEVER pass an enviromental rating scale exam or a "QRS" rating!!!! I wouldn't even try ;-)
Crystal 07:30 AM 06-22-2010
here are a couple of pics.....not everything, but an idea of how I set up my environment....
Attached: entry.jpg (91.9 KB) blocks.jpg (98.8 KB) overhead2.jpg (96.1 KB) 
nannyde 08:12 AM 06-22-2010
I can't figure out how to implant the pictures.
Attached: Picture 1270.jpg (92.8 KB) Picture 1048.jpg (86.7 KB) Picture 1743.jpg (93.9 KB) 032.jpg (98.4 KB) 
nannyde 08:34 AM 06-22-2010
A few more.
Attached: Picture 1646.jpg (93.1 KB) Picture 1653.jpg (91.1 KB) Picture 1744.jpg (96.0 KB) Picture 1659.jpg (95.4 KB) 
originalkat 08:47 AM 06-22-2010
Thanks for posting pictures guys! I love to see other daycare spaces to get good ideas!
Lianne 12:36 PM 06-22-2010
here are a couple of pics.....not everything, but an idea of how I set up my environment....
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love your set up
Crystal 03:16 PM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by Lianne:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love your set up
thank you
mismatchedsocks 03:28 PM 06-22-2010
Any idea why I cant see twinmamas pictures? I have tried everything!

ooops something to do with seeing something securely? I clicked no this time and I saw them!

Great job! Thanks for posting pictures!
Michael 03:33 PM 06-22-2010
Can anyone else NOT see them? I will look into this.
mismatchedsocks 03:40 PM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by michael:
Can anyone else NOT see them? I will look into this.
Everytime I go to a new page, or new topic I get a pop up that says

Do you want to only view only the webpage content that was delivered secruely? Then I can click yes or no. And under it it says "this webpage contains content that will not be delivered using a secure HTTPS connection which could compromise the security of the entire webpage.

I always click yes,but couldnt see her picture and this time I clicked no and I could see her pictuers.
Michael 03:43 PM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
Everytime I go to a new page, or new topic I get a pop up that says

Do you want to only view only the webpage content that was delivered secruely? Then I can click yes or no. And under it it says "this webpage contains content that will not be delivered using a secure HTTPS connection which could compromise the security of the entire webpage.

I always click yes, but couldnt see her picture and this time I clicked no and I could see her pictuers.
Ok, I get you. Do you come to this forum from a bookmark? Most likely you originally came from a secure SSL and the httpS (S = secure) stays in the address. Suggest you bookmark https://www.daycare.com/forum

That way the httpS does not stick with you throughout your time here. Just remove that old address wherever it is. Let me know if that works for you.
mismatchedsocks 03:54 PM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by michael:
Ok, I get you. Do you come to this forum from a bookmark? Most likely you originally came from a secure SSL and the httpS (S = secure) stays in the address. Suggest you bookmark https://www.daycare.com/forum

That way the httpS does not stick with you throughout your time here. Just remove that old address wherever it is. Let me know if that works for you.
Thanks that works. Sorry to take over thread.

Maybe now I can see other pictures too!
WImom 06:51 PM 06-22-2010
Twinmama - love the set up. If you don't mind me asking where did you get the book display shelf and the frog/pig chairs? I'm setting up my daycare currently and those chairs are just too darn cute!
mac60 03:36 AM 06-23-2010
I love your choice of colors for your home and the open space concept. Nice job.
seashell 08:11 AM 06-23-2010
I have a dedicated playroom for the kids in the basement (Ewww, that sounds so moldy!) They also use our living room early morning and late afternoon while we wait for drop off and pick up. My son will be moving out in a few years, so his room (Which is right next to the daycare room) will become part of our area. There's a slider in that room that goes right out to the yard. So sad to think about him leaving, but excited about the expansion.
Attached: downsized_0423000855b[1].JPG (82.6 KB) 24750_117093204985932_100000557593325_182587_865864_n.jpg (30.2 KB) classroom1.JPG (86.5 KB) 
SunflowerMama 09:07 AM 06-23-2010
Originally Posted by WImom:
Twinmama - love the set up. If you don't mind me asking where did you get the book display shelf and the frog/pig chairs? I'm setting up my daycare currently and those chairs are just too darn cute!
I actually got the chairs off Walmart.com and the book display shelf is KidKraft. The kids love those chairs!
WImom 11:04 AM 06-23-2010
Thanks! Walmart says unavailable. Oh well. I'll have to check ebay and Craigslist.
Unregistered 11:07 AM 08-12-2010
Originally Posted by Greenshadow:
In my home in California, we actually converted our garage for my daycare. It was WONDERFUL! Now, Im crammed into our downstairs too. Im told my house is 1450 sq ft total so I figure Im using about 725 sq ft downstairs. It is not a ton of room and Im constantly rearranging it to make more room. I think the way I have it set up now is working well for me! If I can figure out where to post pictures, I will post a few. I do naptime right in the middle of the floor in my living room, with playpens mostly, because I have quite a few children that are around 15 mos old. We go outside alot too, that helps.
Hi Greenshawdow, had a question where do you live in CA and do you have any pictures of your garage conversion? I am thinking about converting my garage.

thanks my email address is teffany_dawsona@yahoo.com. I wold love to see your pictures if you have any.

thanks
DCMomOf3 11:44 AM 08-12-2010
I have about 900 sq ft of daycare, 750 of dedicated, and 150 I share with my DHs office for pack-n-plays at nap. I am in the proccess of re-vamping my toy supply and rearranging so I dont' have good pictures but want to post and get feedback when I'm more done.
Abigail 12:34 AM 08-13-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
Since I was told I couldn't use my upstairs for daycare I just feel like we don't have enough room.

I just feel like we are on top of each other at times and don't feel like I have the right set-up and that I'm not utilizing my space in the most efficient way. I feel like we're on top of each other at circle time and just don't feel like my centers have enough room.

I know there have been posts about pictures of everyone's area but I can't find many pics at all.

How much space do you have and how do you organize to get the best use of your space?
Can you take a few pictures so we can give you ideas on how to change what you have?
Abigail 12:43 AM 08-13-2010
What are the colored buckets on the wall? It looks very organized and cute!
Abigail 12:54 AM 08-13-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
i've been working all afternoon! Thanks a million crystal for all the great ideas.

How does this look? Now at least there is some seperation b/w the home living, books, blocks, manipulatives, etc.

My husband is very excited to have our living room back.

omg.....i want your kitchen!
Abigail 01:08 AM 08-13-2010
I never measured before today! My playroom is 345 square feet - that is daycare only. They also use the rest of my downstairs space, which is an additional 715 square feet, plus they have their own restroom.
Some of you guys must have huge houses! Most of our rooms are only 10 by 12 feet which would be 120 square feet??? That would mean in one little room there could be 35,70,105,140...three children. I think they should increase the minimum space required for a child because 35 square feet would be like a 6 by 6 foot area for a child all day. LOL. Good thing outside play is 75 square feet per child, at least it is space to run! Let me know if my math is wrong too!
juliebug 07:34 PM 08-16-2010
wow i love all the pictures i have been trying to figure out how to redo my room and just haven't got it yet but these are inspiring.
here our pictures of my areas
I have an L shaped room that i do the daycare in except if we paint or eat that is in the kitchen.
Attached: P1040602.jpg (92.2 KB) P1040601.jpg (60.8 KB) P1040600.jpg (77.1 KB) P1040599.jpg (91.2 KB) 
juliebug 07:36 PM 08-16-2010
the rest of pic
Attached: P1040596.jpg (88.4 KB) P1040597.jpg (89.7 KB) P1040598.jpg (81.0 KB) 
Abigail 10:37 PM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by juliebug:
wow i love all the pictures i have been trying to figure out how to redo my room and just haven't got it yet but these are inspiring.
here our pictures of my areas
I have an L shaped room that i do the daycare in except if we paint or eat that is in the kitchen.
I would paint even just one wall to give it a splash of color...even your kitchen set is white, lol. The best wall to paint I think would be the long wall you first see walking down the steps. Then you can leave the rest white how they are. It doesn't have to be a dark color, but even a light blue or something that will not make it feel like you're covered in rainbows, LOL.

I like how you add to your calendar everyday. I have one like that, but I want to laminate them before we use it. I think you have books under the games. If games are a supervised activity, I wouldn't let those sit out...even if it is above a toddler's reach because it crowds the room and you're hiding another beautiful window behide the stack of games.

I would create a soft reading center and keep your child-size fold out couches by the book shelf to draw more interest in sitting and reading the book than awaiting for limited tv time. As long as your shelves are solid standing, you can use the back of one as a divider and have one couch facing the books along the back of the other shelf, have the other couch along the wall (where a plasic chair currently sits) and then they will have an L shaped seating area creating a comfy reading zone. Make sure to hang up the word READ or READING or a poster about books in that area instead of the word kitchen.

Since the room is limited for space and you have a large table and baby items in the same room...I would make the area where your computer and storage shelves are into a infant/smaller-child zone. It doesn't have to be the whole area to the left of the stairs, but at least the bouncer and playpen would be in a different area but still viewable. If you can, I would move all the "storage" stuff that you don't use on a daily basis into another room. Do you have an empty closet you can put one of the organizers in? To make a room look bigger, you want to put big bulky items farthest away from the entrance and not have too many tall things in one area....this would be your storage units with big containers yet upon it.

You could probably do without that larger table if you do art and meals in the kitchen. This way, you could move that smaller square table a few feet away from those awesome tall windows you have and turn your kitchen set to sit along the wall and move it closer to the corner where you would be moving the table with two chairs. This would create the "house" zone.

Then, use the two brown shelves that are currently facing the book shelf a few feet backwards. Turn one to have it along the wall facing the t.v.(even though it is not exactly infront of the tv) and turn the other one the opposite direction it currently is to face the kitchen area. This way, you have a "backing" for one of your couches in the reading/book zone and your toy shelves that they have daily access to face away from the baby zone by your computer and also lead them towards the kitchen area where they have a table to bring toys too.

Now you should have an open area infront of your tv where you can play music and dance. You should put smaller toys like balls, blocks, etc. into clear small baskets/containers WITHOUT lids as those only end up on the floor. Organize them on the shelves by taking a picture of the items and taping it down to it's correct location. You can also tape a picture of the item to the bucket since they will normally grab it and go, but then that sometimes seems like an unneccesary step if all the buckets are the same. PS, I would also recommend you only have a couple dozen books available to them at any given time. Rotate them every month--mark your calendar--lol.

I look forward to seeing what you decide to do. Good Luck!
juliebug 08:48 AM 08-20-2010
here is the new arrangement
Attached: P1040609.jpg (78.4 KB) P1040610.jpg (79.7 KB) P1040614.jpg (77.0 KB) P1040615.jpg (62.4 KB) 
juliebug 09:12 AM 08-20-2010
here is the reading and computer area
Attached: P1040611.jpg (89.5 KB) P1040613.jpg (79.5 KB) 
Tags:daycare photos, decor, layout, photos of our spaces, pictures, pictures of our spaces, space
Reply Up