Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Times?
mema 08:38 AM 05-16-2012
If you are telling everyone to go to the table for lunch, pick up toys, or come to the playroom, etc, how many times do you repeat it? Do you say everyone's name individually or just as a group? I'm soooo tired of the listening ears not working. Depending what it is, I will repeat 3 times and then just go about without them, but there are somethings that I can't do that for because then they would be out of sight. I would hate for everyone who is listening not to get to do an activity because someone isn't listening, but at the same time, I don't want to continually have to ask/help/show/do for the one not listening over and over. Does that make sense?
DCP 08:46 AM 05-16-2012
Oddly enough my kids generally (except the little,little ones) do stuff like that as soon as I say it. They know they are getting food or an activity and get excited for it.

I always do it as a group-

Following directions during an activity however I have been struggling with one child on. She seems to do what ever it is SHE wants to do!! So if she is not following directions in a way that is disruptive or otherwise an issue..then she will not be able to complete the activity. This does not make her happy - the kids know they WANT to do it..so the others I do not usually have an issue with. Following directions is something I strive to make sure my kids can do since it is such a huge thing to be able to do in school.

If it is the same ones over and over again - I would explain to them they have ONE chance - if they do not listen and follow directions when asked..they will miss out on the fun!! - and follow through. If they do not listen - but half way through decide to...allow them to sit and watch only and explain why. But do not punish the others because of that one child They will eventually see - you mean business and if they notice the other kids having fun..they will not want to miss it next time
cheerfuldom 08:59 AM 05-16-2012
Originally Posted by mema:
If you are telling everyone to go to the table for lunch, pick up toys, or come to the playroom, etc, how many times do you repeat it? Do you say everyone's name individually or just as a group? I'm soooo tired of the listening ears not working. Depending what it is, I will repeat 3 times and then just go about without them, but there are somethings that I can't do that for because then they would be out of sight. I would hate for everyone who is listening not to get to do an activity because someone isn't listening, but at the same time, I don't want to continually have to ask/help/show/do for the one not listening over and over. Does that make sense?
Creating songs for transitions or activities is a really good way to do it. This works a lot better with my group than verbal commands. Even putting random words like "its time to go to the lunch table" to a random tune gets their attention. Flickering the room lights is another good way to signal a transition.
Reply Up