Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Would You Term This Family?
MamaJ 05:20 AM 07-05-2011
I watched DCG during the end of the school year for 6 weeks. The agreement was that her grandma is a school teacher and would watch her for the summer, but that she would come once a week on Tuesdays.

The 1st tuesday her Grandma wanted to have her over, the next Tuesday no call/show and I finally txt him and he said "oh she's with her mom today, sorry I didn't tell you". Again, no show today, so I sent another text and he replies back that he is out of town for the week and DCG is staying with his mom....no apologizing for not telling me, etc.

I'm tired of wondering each Tuesday if she is going to be here or not, as I plan my outings on how many kids I have here if I can fit them in my car (go to the park, etc).

I'd really just like to term her....what's the best way to do this? I really don't want to call and talk via phone, and he's gone all week so probably not checking his emails.

Is it OK to txt him? what should I say? "I'm sorry but I need something more consistent and will no longer be able to provide care for DCG". ?

I'm new to this, so not sure what is appropriate.
momma4many 05:37 AM 07-05-2011
Did they sign a contract? Have they been paying to keep her spot? I don't think I would txt that to him, but then again I don't txt anything to my dc families.
MamaJ 05:46 AM 07-05-2011
they did sign a contract. The original agreement was for 4 days of care, and she ended up coming for 5 (my fee is the same, so that didn't matter). He said at first he just needed care for the 6 weeks, then decided she'd be once a week still in the summer and returning in the fall.

I don't care for DCG too much ...she's bossy, whiny and generally disrupts the flow and peace among other children, and I'm not sure I want her back in the fall full-time anyway. Dad is always asking if she can come early (I allowed this twice before I put a stop to it...I'm sticking to my 7:30 opening time). He really needs someone with longer hours (he knew this when signing up...he asked for 6:45 and I said no...up front).

I'm irritated that 3 weeks in a row she hasn't showed, and he hasn't bothered to tell me the past two weeks, that I had to send a text to ask if she was coming for the day. I know he's a busy single dad, but it's very inconsiderate.

I could send him an email, I would imagine he'd check it before next Tuesday. But, how should I word it?
Cat Herder 05:48 AM 07-05-2011
Are they paying for her slot and then not attending?

Or

Are they cheating you out of your one day a week fee?

That changes it in either direction....

If they are paying I would not care one way or the other if she was not attending, YKWIM?
MamaJ 05:48 AM 07-05-2011
and no, he has not been paying to keep her spot. I told him $30/day for the summer...and since she hasn't been here for 3 weeks he hasn't paid. During non-summer hours they pay no matter if they are here or not, but i didn't specify this for summer care...so haven't been reinforcing it. I didn't ask for a holding fee for fall b/c I wasn't sure that I wanted her back in care full-time come fall anyway due to her behavior.
Cat Herder 05:56 AM 07-05-2011
NEXT!!!

Just type him up the standard " After much thought and reflection I have decided to make some changes to my program to better meet the needs of the group of children as a whole. As of ***** I will no longer be able to provide childcare services for ******."

I like to mail the official letter to have the delivery receipt, JIC. I typically tell them verbally as well, though. Face to face.

If he calls and asks why just tell him that his erratic behavior is having a negative effect on the group as it stresses you out and makes it impossible to plan activities.

I would not even go into DCG's behavior because IMHO it is also due to his erratic behaviors. He obviously lives by the seat of his pants and his Mom picks up the slack.
MamaJ 05:59 AM 07-05-2011
good, thank you! I will send just that. It's just not fair to me to be waiting around each Tuesday morning wondering if she will show or not, and missing out on the $. I'd much rather find a more consistent part-timer for the summer!
nannyde 06:00 AM 07-05-2011
never allow a scheduled day based on their words... only their money in advance
laundrymom 06:02 AM 07-05-2011
I would text asking him to call you. When he does explain that your understanding was she would be there Tuesdays but due to non attendance for three weeks you are terminating care.
wdmmom 06:30 AM 07-05-2011
I would send an email as well as a letter to the home address.

I would just state that you can no longer accommodate 1 day a week and for the past 3 weeks, their child hasn't attended leaving you with a loss of income.

Go on to state that this shall serve as their __ notice per the contract they signed and they are welcome to pick up any belongings on or before (date).
Angelwings36 07:11 AM 07-05-2011
Originally Posted by MamaJ:
and no, he has not been paying to keep her spot. I told him $30/day for the summer...and since she hasn't been here for 3 weeks he hasn't paid. During non-summer hours they pay no matter if they are here or not, but i didn't specify this for summer care...so haven't been reinforcing it. I didn't ask for a holding fee for fall b/c I wasn't sure that I wanted her back in care full-time come fall anyway due to her behavior.
Dear __________,
I'm sorry to inform you but after 'blank' date I will no longer be able to provide childcare for your daughter. I only have so many available slots in my daycare and have to keep these slots full at all times. I was willing to hold you space until fall under the agreement that your daughter would have been here a minimum of 4 days a month until then, but unfortanetly this doesn't seem to be working out. It is important that I am provided with notice when a child will not be attending daycare for the day and the last three weeks I have not been recieving proper notice from yourself and it has made it very difficult to plan my days with the children. I hope you are able to find a suitable daycare for your daughter that matches your families needs.

Take Care,